Rokkenjima Secret Oyashiro II [Finished - Radical Victory]

So now that Mafia II is over and done with, I figured, if the interest is there we could have another round of Secret Oyashiro. Now that everyone has gathered some experience with the game, how about putting those newfound skills to the test?

For now I’ll have to see if there’s enough players interested in playing. We need 7-10 participants for a game. If you are interested, and you can participate without being absent for too long at a time, I’ll be glad to have you.

Due to complaints/issues with the last game, I want to try imposing more time restrictions. Therefore all phases - nominations, votes, policy picking, privilege usages - will have a time limit of 24 hours (although all of them can terminate early so I don’t expect them to usually take that long). For that reason I hope that participants can check in online at least once per day. So long as this does not become a strategic choice, I will resolve single instances of absences of key players by having them automatically act against their goal.

Without further ado, anyone who’s interest may please sign up in the topic! Below is the original introductory post including the rules of the game, if there’s anything you need to double-check, and of course for if we have any newcomers to the game~

Edit: Of course another possibility would be playing the game live on Discord. In that case a full game can be played in somewhere between 15 to 90 minutes. The time would be Friday or Saturday at around 22 or 23 o’ clock UTC. If you are interested and willing to participate in a live Secret Oyashiro game, please say so in your post and try to give me a general idea for which of the next three or four weekends would be possible for you.

Editra: The Live Discord Game has migrated to this topic. Please check over there for further details.

Did you ever wonder how the mysterious deity Oyashiro-sama came to be so feared in Hinamizawa? It did not happen overnight. It is a little known fact that Oyashiro and their most loyal followers were actually present during village council meetings, working slowly to take complete control of the village while having everyone fooled into thinking the council is still in good hands.

Let us enter that fragment where everything went horribly wrong. There are 10 pieces to claim. Will the council once again succumb to Oyashiro’s sweet melody, as history tells us? Or will you stand strong, see through the lies and treachery and expose the god for the manipulative villain they really are?

This game is based on (and in its rules identical to) the card game Secret Hitler. For a simple rundown of the general rules watch this video, and for the original full ruleset please refer to this PDF. Just replace liberals with progressives, fascists with radicals and Hitler with Oyashiro.

—Setup—

Every player takes on the role of a member of the Hinamizawa village council. The players are divided in two groups - progressives and radicals. Progressives have to see through the radicals’ lies and use their numbers to push progressive policies, while radicals have to fool their opponents into believing them and subtly push their radical agenda without exposing their true nature. One of the radicals takes on the identity of Oyashiro themselves, the key figure in this whole game.

With the exception of Oyashiro, the radicals are all aware of the identities of their allies. They also know the identity of their leader, Oyashiro. However, Oyashiro finds themselves in the opposite situation; they have no idea who their fellow radicals are and it is up to those allies to subtly make their identity known to their leader without exposing it to their enemies as well.

The progressives win if they manage to enact five progressive policies, or if Oyashiro is killed.

The radicals win if they manage to enact six radical policies, or if Oyashiro is elected chancellor after three radical policies have been enacted.

—How To Play—

Once signups are full, I will send out PMs to every player informing them of their role, and if they are radicals but not Oyashiro, the identities of their allies. After that, the player order is shuffled and the first player on the player list becomes the first presidential candidate. From that point on, the game goes in a loop.

• The presidential candidate nominates a chancellor, forming a government.
  • All players vote on whether they accept this government. Everyone (including the potential president and chancellor) sends me a PM with a YES or NO vote. Once all players have voted or the time limit is up, everyone’s votes are made public.
  • If half or more players have voted NO, the vote fails. The next player in line becomes the new presidential candidate and the process repeats.
  • If more than half the players have voted YES, the government is elected and gets to enact a new policy.
  • The president gets 3 random policies from the stock.
  • The president discards one, and passes on 2 policies to the chancellor.
  • The chancellor enacts one and discards the other.
  • If the enacted policy was radical, the president of that government uses any special privileges they may have gained.
  • Finally, the next player in line becomes the presidential candidate and the process repeats.

Additional rules:

• The president and chancellor of the previous (successful) government may not be nominated for the position of chancellor.
  • The stock of policies initially consists of 11 radical and 6 progressive policies, for 17 policies total. Policies discarded by president or chancellor do not immediately return to the stock but are instead kept separate. When more policies are required than the remaining stock accounts for, all previously discarded policies are shuffled back in. Enacted policies never return to the stock (naturally).
  • Enacting a policy is done entirely through PMs with me. It is never made absolutely public what policies the president initially drew, which they discarded or which the chancellor discarded. Other players have no choice but to rely on or doubt the president and chancellor’s words.
  • The president and chancellor may not post in this topic during the process of enacting a policy. They must remain silent until their duties are complete, only then may they share what actually happened.
  • If three radical policies have already been played and a government is elected, I will reveal if the elected chancellor is Oyashiro or not - if they are, the radicals win immediately.
  • If three votes fail in a row, a random policy in the stock is simply enacted immediately without question. If it is a radical policy, the presidential privileges it may have brought are ignored.
  • If five radical policies have been played (meaning only one more radical policy would win the game for the radicals) the ability of VETO is unlocked: instead of enacting a policy, the chancellor may publicly ask the president to discard both policies instead of enacting either of them. It’s the president’s call to allow or forbid it. If they allow it, both policies are discarded and no policy is enacted. This counts as a failed vote (see above).
    In practice, this means that a progressive president and chancellor will never be forced to play the final radical policy; there must be a radical in the government for the final radical policy to be played. But since VETO requires the compliance of both president and chancellor, either of the two being radicals is enough to prevent a VETO.

So far so good, now what was that about special privileges for the president?

Whenever a radical policy is enacted, the president of the elected government is forced to make use of some special privileges. These privileges are one time only and exclusive to the president of the government that enacted said radical policy.

• First radical policy: Investigation. The president investigates another player and is told their alignment - Progressive or Radical. Whether or not the player is Oyashiro is not revealed. Again the results of the investigation are not made public and the other players can only rely on the president’s word.
  • Second radical policy: Investigation. Identical to the first. (NOTE: If there are only 7-8 players, only the second radical policy gives the Investigation privilege, while the first gives nothing)
  • Third radical policy: Special Candidacy. The president selects any other player but themselves to become a special presidential candidate. The selected player then nominates a chancellor like normal. Regardless of if the vote fails or not, the next presidential candidate in line is the successor of the original president, NOT the successor of the special candidate; the special candidate is simply a one-time insertion into the regular loop of presidential candidates.
    Once three radical policies are enacted, the radicals can win the game immediately by having Oyashiro elected as chancellor.
  • Fourth radical policy: Onikakushi. The president kills a player of their choosing. If the selected player is Oyashiro, the progressives win immediately, otherwise the game continues without the dead player’s alignment being revealed. Like with the other special privileges, the president may not waive the right to kill a player; they are forced to kill someone.
  • Fifth radical policy: Onikakushi. Identical to the fourth.
    Once five radical policies are enacted, the right of VETO is also unlocked. For more information, see above in “Additional Rules”.

NOTE: In a game with 7-8 players as opposed to 9-10, there is no Investigation when the first radical policy is played. Other than that, the game is the same.

—Rules of Conduct—

For those of you who have just been following the Mafia game, these rules should be nothing new to you.

• Quoting from or screenshotting PMs from the game master is strictly prohibited. There is no red truth in this game, if you want other players to believe you are innocent, you have to convince them of it yourself.
  • Discussing the game outside of this topic is absolutely forbidden, for progressives as well as radicals and especially Oyashiro. Radicals do not have hidden channels to communicate outside of the progressives’ sight; they have to work together in plain sight of their opponents.
  • That being said, feel free to discuss the game at any length inside this topic, the only exception to this rule being that the president and chancellor of an elected government may not talk while the two of them are in the process of enacting a policy. Anyone else and any other time is fair game. Especially during nomination, voting and privilege phases, you do not want your president or presidential candidate to do anything rash, do you? Better tell them what they should do before they make a mistake! The presidents decision on nomination and privileges is, of course, final, however.
  • Editing or deleting posts is not allowed either. If you’ve said something, you’ve said it and there’s no taking it back.
  • Finally, if you are absent from the game for a long time, please inform the game master ahead of time or be prepared to be kicked out of the game. Especially when you’re elected president or chancellor. If it’s just an election vote we may be able to proceed by simply not counting your vote. But this also generally sucks for progressives and radicals alike, so I implore you to not make this a problem for me, okaaaay?

—Signups—

And with that I bid you good luck. I will post the status of that game any time it’s relevant and will be glad to answer any questions you may have privately (or publicly if it’s relevant to everyone).

Up to ten players can participate in this game. If you’re interested, please sign up in this topic. For those curious, the number of radicals is always 1 or 2 below the number of progressives.

Signups - Forum Game:

1. Aspirety
  2. pictoshark
  3. thesorceress
  4. Wonderlander
  5. Necem
  6. Pepe
  7. PocketyHat
  8. Seraphitic
  9. cjlim2007
  10. EisenKoubu

Signups - Live Discord Game:

The Live Discord Game has migrated to this topic. Please check over there for further details.

2 Likes

I’m in, but is there any interest in hosting a live game over Discord or something? We could smash out a game in 30mins in real time.

Guess my sneaky edit was too late =P

Cool! I’d sign up. I can do by post, or live discord.

As long as it’s on those days, I can pretty much plan around it no matter when it is!

(as long as it’s not the 25th/26th, lil’ bro’s birthday, you know how it is)

I would like to sign up as well! Forum or discord is fine with me, either one.

Never played a strategy game like this one. It sounds really cool.

I would love to sign up, though I would have to play through the forums since I barely have time to look at discord for more than 2 mins at a time. Same with forums too but it doesn’t have to be live so :smiley:

I’m in for the forum edition again!

I’m game for both forum edition and live edition, though setting up a free schedule may be a pain hahaha

yo, sign me up! Both live and forum! and I am a pretty free person, yepyep no time problems with me!

I’m in for this. I’d love to participate this time around. I’ll have to confirm when I’m free but I should be ok for most times.

1 Like

I can do it on the forum but I won’t be free for live game til like November 29th

Okay I am super curious as to how @Rabla can play. Plus as the last Oyashiro, isn’t he obliged to play? :stuck_out_tongue:

Last minute signup~ :smiley:

Hard to say if I can make it to the live games. I can probably make the second and fourth weekend if we go that long, but these next few weeks of school are going to be tense. :expressionless:

And with that, signups for the forum game are closed. I’ll set up the game later tonight or tomorrow.

I hope you are all still in, @Aspirety @pictoshark @thesorceress @Wonderlander @Necem @Pepe @PocketyHat @Seraphitic @cjlim2007 @EisenKoubu !

As for the live version, I’ll probably open a separate topic since really the live game can go independently from the forum game.

1 Like

Time to get this party started!

You will receive a PM your role information in a bit (I’ll delay a bit just to give everyone a chance to withdraw from the game if something has come up in the meantime and they won’t be able to participate afte rall). To reiterate, progressives don’t know who anyone is, radicals know who their fellow radicals are and also who Oyashiro is, Oyashiro doesn’t know who anyone else is. There are six players on the progressive team and four players on the radical team, with one taking on the role of the (false?) deity Oyashiro.

Our council seating order (and thus order of presidential candidates) is as follows:

1. @thesorceress

Let’s have another fun game, shall we? :smirk:

3 Likes

You have all been informed of your roles, so let’s get this started.

Welcome to the Hinamizawa village council, where the future path of Hinamizawa is decided. Your voice is now the voice of the village, so make sure you live up to that responsibility. We have high expecations that you will steer our village in the right direction, towards a brighter, more progressive future.

For the time being, how about introducing yourself to your fellow council members?

To reiterate, talking about the game outside this topic is strictly prohibited, both for progressives as well as for radicals. Please keep all discussion in this topic only.

Election Phase

@thesorceress, you are the current presidential candidate, please nominate a chancellor. Feel free to make introductions and get everyone’s opinions, but once you’ve made up your mind, please state your chancellor’s name in bold. We will then start the voting. If you do not pick a presidential candidate in 24 hours, you lose your opportunity to do so (this counts as a failed vote) and the next candidate in line takes your place.

1 Like

Excellent. I, EisenKoubu, am proud to once again be serving the lolis of the village as one of Hinamizawa’s representatives. Our last struggle was a challenging one, but I for one learned a lot of things from it, and vow to use my knowledge to bring about equal rights for the minority groups in our village, including curry lovers and those in our village who still fear Oyashiro-sama.

Getting down to business, I also understand that, like last time, there are some who are in our midst that wish to steer Hinamizawa in an…uncomfortable direction. It is my responsibility to protect the village from harmful policies, and last time it was catastrophic, but I and the other progressives will fight to prevent such a thing will never happen again.

We will make it work this time. You can count on us, people of Hinamizawa! o/

2 Likes

Hello everyone! It is thesorceress here, your presidential candidate. Here in this beautiful village of Hinamizawa we have gathered today to make an important decision, a decision that will affect the progressive future of us and our progressive future.

We are here today to elect a chancellor. And here if the important point: any one of you could become chancellor! So come foreword, introduce yourselves, and tell us why you most deserve this position and the progressive values you will bring to this position. Politicians are always elected based on qualifications and policies. Present yourself and maybe even you could become chancellor of the entire town!

2 Likes

Hi guys! :smiley: We are supposed to introduce ourselves right? I am Wonder, a.k.a. the person who wants to progress along with the rest of Hinamizawa.

Yeah. So, nominate me please? :smiley:

1 Like

Good morning everyone. Let’s work together to make Hinamizawa great…er than before!

1 Like