Rokkenjima Tragedy Looper [Planning and Applications]

Tragedy Looper is a deduction board game which pits three protagonists against one mastermind. On the board are four locations featuring a cast of characters which can be influenced by the players by moving them around and applying ‘goodwill’ and ‘paranoia’, two forms of currency which influence the game in various ways. Generally, goodwill benefits the protagonists and paranoia benefits the mastermind.

Known only to the game master is a hidden narrative which determines secret roles of all the characters on the board. Some characters will be killers, some will be secret lovers, some will be friends. Some of these roles will grant abilities to the mastermind, some will have passive effects. For example, if the character with the hidden role of serial killer is left alone with any other character, they will always kill that character at the end of the day. Observing this pattern of behaviour will allow the protagonists to determine that said character is in fact a serial killer, which can provide hints on which ‘plots’ are in effect. Plots determine which roles are in play, and only a limited number of plots can be in effect at once. In the ‘Basic Tragedy’ script, the existence of a serial killer means that ‘The Hidden Freak’ plot is in play, which also includes a Friend role, as you can see on this chart.

What makes Tragedy Looper unique is that it features a time loop mechanic. Each game will contain a certain number of loops, anywhere from 2 to 7 total. A loop can last up to 8 days (each scenario has a limited number of days), and various conditions established by the plot and roles can cause the loop to end prematurely. The ultimate goal of the protagonists is to either A: reach the end of the loop without losing, or B: identify the roles of ALL characters at the end of the final loop. The loop mechanic allows protagonists to manipulate the board through trial and error to determine patterns of behaviour and isolate potential plots and roles of the characters. The goal of the mastermind is to deceive the protagonists and prevent their victory. If you’d like to learn more, you can read up the Player’s Handbook here.

So, now that I’ve explained the basics of the game, here’s my proposal: I want to host a game of this on the Rokkenjima forum! It just so happens that Tragedy Looper is available on Tabletop Simulator (It’s okay I own a physical copy so it’s not piracy, right?), so while we could play a game of it live with others who own TTS, I feel like we could get a lot more people on board by hosting it on the forum. How would I do that? Basically, I’d post screenshots of the board from TTS on the forum topic as each move plays out. In response the protagonists would decide on a move, and I would act out that move on the board and upload a screenshot of the result.

“But Aspi, isn’t four players kind of small?” True enough, it is a small number. However, while these protagonists are the only ones directly influencing the game, that doesn’t mean the rest of the forum can’t join the fight, commenting and speculating and advising the protagonists of potential moves they can make. I’d even offer the protagonists to open a private channel to discuss strategy away from the mastermind’s eyes, because the more aware of the protagonists’ strategies the mastermind is, the less it works to their benefit. As I plan to be the Mastermind to begin with, I’d like to offer the protagonists every advantage so they can get a good grip on the game.

So, from here, I open the floor to expressions of interest! From the interested parties we’ll need to decide on three protagonists to represent them. If you have any questions or feedback, I’m all ears.

4 Likes

Count me in for a protag.

Also, I’d much prefer that for our first game, the protagonists be people who have never experienced Tragedy Looper before. Please be honest :stuck_out_tongue:

I haven’t so I am good.

1 Like

Oh yes, I remember PictoShark talking about this game, count me in yo!

1 Like

So if I don’t have tabletop sim I can still play right? I am in!

And I have never played this before as well so :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Like I said, I’ll be hosting it on the forum here.

Just wanted to make sure I understood correctly. I am in then!

Aspi has banana’d me from playing so I’ll just watch this game…

Had a little test game to get a hang for Masterminding again. Screwed up a bit and the protagonists @Rabla and @pictoshark defeated me, but I feel like I’ve got a better handle on things now.

I think making a custom script is definitely the right way to go about things.

4 Likes

Topic seems to be mostly dead looking for a fourth applicant. HOY @Seraphitic! Want to play?

1 Like

Surely the mastermind should be someone who has played the game perhaps once or twice? I can make a great protagonist but I’ve only masterminded once and while I’m not a bad mastermind I could totally make an easy board if you guys are interested. Tho the protagonists should definitely be new to the game, it’s better for the first board that way.

1 Like

Played a game of this with @Restkastel and 2 others, had a bunch of fun! I picked up on it pretty quickly, but one of our other friends didn’t…so we ended up losing, but I’d certainly be interested in playing now that I’ve played a game, so if there’s still interest we should get one going sometime.

1 Like

I should formally say I am interested in playing this again

I would play, if I were allowed to.

I am still interested yo

OOoooohhh, what a development… If i just started a tragedy looper game in this thread, with @StarTurner, @Rabla and @PocketyHat as the players would that be overstepping my boundaries, @Aspirety?

1 Like

Well you 4 can do your own game and @Aspirety, @Restkastel and one more person can have ours? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t mind if you host a game yourself, picto.

Never played this. Guess that makes me eligible? I’m willing to give it a try.