Rokkenjima Website Updates

I like it… for once it makes me feel like I’m not lurking around a den of sin.

JK. But I do actually like it.

1 Like

Looking P fresh tbh.

I’ll be missing Rokenjima though. Guess I’ll get used to living in a town full of crazies/

I really liked the previous theme, so I’m sad to see it go. I’m not a huge fan of bright white colour schemes, so it’ll take a while for me to get used to this new look.

A bright and cheerful theme like this probably does attract more bright and cheerful types, but the previous theme wasn’t without its charm, either. I wouldn’t have called it intimidating - I found it more “mysterious” or “intriguing” than anything negative.

Aww yeah I’m really excited to talk about some Owari no Hoshi no Love Song guys. Huh what? What’s a tea party??

I promise I’ll actually read at least Higurashi soon ;_;

1 Like

Thank goodness I saw this new background before late at night. Lord knows my eyes need a break after witnessing GaaNjo. shudders

1 Like

We’ve been in the middle of it for a few months now :joyful:

1 Like

I really like this theme. Gives me a fuzzy warm feeling haha. :slight_smile:

Mostly I agree with not minding the light theme on the side, which is why I haven’t really voiced an opinion. But then I saw a problem:

This is red text.

This is blue text.

This is lime text.

This is yellow text.

This is pink text.

Above you see the text colors that were used in various topics. Those colors were chosen with a dark theme in mind, since we had a dark theme at the time. As you can see, especially yellow and pink text is now basically unreadable.

rip @pictoshark’s participation methods in gameboards

Huh, it is actually mostly @pictoshark that used the latter two colors. The other one who used pink was @pik3rob, however both used that in the Umineko Episode 4 (spoiler-free) discussion, a topic which is more likely to be read through by someone else at a later point. So they would either have to change every instance of pink text to another color which can be read on both dark and light backgrounds, as I assume both dark and light themes are possible in the future, or I don’t know.

I just have to wait for this moment of insanity to pass and for @Aspirety to switch it back. Rokkenjima hurts my eyes right now.

But seriously though, I kinda liked the older theme better because it’s much easier on the eyes. Especially at night.

I also prefer the old design over this one :confused:
I like darker themes in general, so this…bright…solution is not necessarily to my taste^^

Figured I’d put my own opinion out there. I quite like the new design tbh. It’s a little bright but all things considered I think it’s an improvement. Certainly, we were far too Umineko focused before and I like that we are portraying Higurashi as not just a horror creep-show. I would like to agree, though, that having the option to change themes would be a great idea. I don’t know what kind of work would have to go into that though and I know that everyone here is doing all this for free.

Perhaps this might be an idea: have people submit their own ideas for a theme/background/color palate. That way we could have a vote and we could change the background/s occasionally with the winners. That way the people saying they don’t like it can make something they do like and the people who do like it (such as myself) can enjoy this background for a while and then enjoy more awesome 07th themes.

Keep up the great work staff. This member salutes you.

1 Like

Okay while I actually like this new look, it is a bit weird to have Satoshi’s butt hanging in the lefthand corner of the screen at all times.

How do you know it’s Satoshi?

I 120% agree with this! If changing themes were a choice, I think it’d be great if they rotated. That way we can show the other portions of 07th expansion (stuff like Higurashi, Rose Guns Days, Higanbana, Hotarubi, etc.) besides the more common works shown (this way we don’t seem Umineko centric.) I like the idea of us submitting art to become the various background theme, only I worry that’d be a lot of work for the peeps on Aspi’s end. I know very little about coding websites, but I imagine creating the html for all of those themes would be pretty complex. It’d probably be a lot easier for them if there was only one theme, and that theme just continues to change periodically.

In terms of the current theme, I think @VyseGolbez has a valid point… Some of the text (especially yellow) is hard to see. While I enjoy the brightness/color/general conveyed happiness in this theme, I think darker themes are easier for forums. Because with darker themes, it’s easier to contrast colors. That said, I think lighter themes like the current one convey a level of acceptance and warmth that darker themes can’t quite convey the same way. It’d be nice if there were some sort of middle ground between the two, so it’s the best of both worlds.

3 Likes

Hmm, I thought a bit more about the problem of colored text and came up with a possible solution and I’d like to ask @uppfinnarn if it’s even possible to implement. Basically, the idea is to border any colored text with whatever the default text color is, that way it wouldn’t matter what main color the theme uses, any colors would still be readable.

1 Like

WE ARE FREE
WE HAVE BEEN WAITING THOUSANDS OF YEARS FOR THIS MOMENT
OUR EYES ARE RESCUED FROM THE DEPTHS OF FIRE AND BRIMSTONE

ITS GLORIOUS

Seriously though, like the new theme. The purples feel really royal and also mysterious.

plz don’t change it

2 Likes

The purple theme and the gold numbering that shows on updated threads reminds me of Natsuhi and I love it

1 Like