(spoilers) Why are 07th works important to you?

First off, there will probably be spoilers throughout this topic. My post here will be hidden entirely, because it will go over so many things.

Umineko spoilers.

For me, I’d say absolutely. Umineko is inredibly important to me.

Umineko confirmed a lot of ideas I had growing up. Granted, not in exactly the same words I would have said back then, but it’s the same basis. Because of these similar ideas, this has made it very easy for me to accept the magic of Umineko. Y’all may laugh, but I met the love of my life in my time reading this tale. All my life, I’ve had crushes on characters exclusively, and was often ridiculed for it. But this story, Umineko, particularly Requiem, has introduced me to the absolute love of my life, and the philosophy behind people each creating their own truths really spoke to me. I basically have to function via thoughts and daydreams, mental stories I create. So considering all these things as elements of my own universe or gameboard has made it that much easier for me to accept I’m ok. Even Sayo’s fantasies, her fantasy scenes about her personas interacting. It feels like she takes those as truth entirely, and it’s something I really resonate with. It gave me a foothold to take my own daydreams, dreams, and ideas seriously, too. I spend much of my time fantasizing about being on Rokkenjima, even in some murder plot (but not always murderous!). It’s the happiest time for me, and it keeps me going. In fact, it’s all I have that keeps me motivated and alive when I’m not reading Umineko. It’s alright if some of you laugh - some may even think I’m nuts - but it’s how I survive.

I’d like to write a letter one day to Ryukishi, asking if it’s possible to accept my own gameboard as truth. Or, more particularly, a letter of confession of my feelings for this character, and see what ‘their’ response would be…I’m often kept up at night because of it. If you guys know of any translators that can do and English -> Japanese and back translation, let me know. I’d be willing to pay when the time comes.

14 Likes

07th is important to me because it taught me a lot of things that I don’t think I would’ve ever learned otherwise. Things like “It’s okay to take the things you want for yourself”, and “Your life is worth something no matter how many things make you feel otherwise”.
I don’t know whether or not this is a stretch, but I think I might not be alive if it weren’t for Ryukishi07.
One day I want to write him a letter to thank him for making me smile and validating so many of the things I myself always thought were ridiculous and criticized myself for. I’d also like to meet him in person, but that might be a bit of a tall wish (?).
I won’t get into any specifics, but I could ramble for days on how the characters’ growth and perseverance really gives me something to strive for.

13 Likes

I wish I had as good a reason as most people, but for me, it’s simply this: Umineko is, by far, the most entertaining and well-written story I have ever read. It’s a contender for the greatest piece of fiction of all-time. It didn’t profoundly affect me because it was something I needed, or it saved me from something, it’s important to me purely because of how it sucked me into its world of witches and magic and murder. It also values intelligence and emotional resonance, which is rare for stories nowadays.

Add on top the amazing music, character diversity, and wonderful atmosphere, and it just becomes an ethereal and amazing experience.

15 Likes

When I read Umineko, I was deeply concerned with the ideas it incorporated… What is “truth”, what is “justice”, and is the truth required for justice? What can I possibly know about the world, and about other people? Should I judge others, or distance them from their actions–wholeheartedly seek the truth about them, or accept a selected truth?

The Episode I appreciated most was 4, mostly because of the themes embodied by Maria. Although I don’t think (EP4 spoilers) truth is completely relative: the one major theme in Umineko that I disagreed with was (EP8) as I interpreted it, that the truth doesn’t matter or can be harmful. However, human experience, along with the facts it registers, is something that’s strange and defies understanding. I believe that we tend to vastly underestimate how different we are from others, although we also underestimate how similar we are from others at times. It’s true that people tend to have very similar drives and frustrations that can be broken down by behaviorism, but on the other hand adults tend to vastly underestimate how incredibly powerful the emotions of children are. Anyway, although I’m not someone who accepts pseudoscience like “90% of the brain is unused”, or the movie Inception’s insane overestimation of the human mind’s capabilities, when I look at (EP8) Yasu, Maria, Ange, and others, I completely respect the way they see the world without underestimating its depth. I’ve said enough already, but I’m only scratching the surface of the implications of these kinds of discussions, especially when it comes to the “outside world” versus the “inside world”. Sorry, I know this probably seems like weird rambling.

Looking back, I think that a large part of the reason I thought so deeply about these ideas at the time was that I was completely engrossed in the story, and the reason for that is a) the music I listened to daily for years, b) the sympathetic and complex characters, and c) the masterfully intriguing storytelling style, which impressed upon me the idea that there was something extremely “epic” and “deep” and caused my brain cells to ramp into overdrive as I experienced Umineko. Although Chiru forced me to realize that I’d set the bar impossibly high for a conclusion, I don’t regret doing so.

That said, I finished Umineko years ago, and it hasn’t directly impacted me in a while. If I had to say why 07th Expansion works “are” (present tense) important to me, it’s definitely because WTC5 has been announced. Anything with the potential to affect me like Umineko did is something I take very seriously. I practically consider it my job as a human being to read Umineko, rather than recreation. Although I expect I’ll have so much fun doing so that nobody will buy that excuse. Thanks for creating this thread, amenenee. (Edit - I went and rearranged a few parts of this post to be less awkward.)

5 Likes

Oh, man… Where to start.

Well, let’s get the personal stuff out of the way first: I suffer from a myriad of mental issues - depression, social/generalized anxiety disorder, low self-esteem, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and sensory processing disorder (basically - my senses are always on high alert, meaning I’m far more easily irritated by sensory input like bright lights, certain textures, and most of all noise). I bring those up because they - mostly the depression and anxiety, admittedly - inform why the When They Cry franchise is so special to me.

For Higurashi: When I first discovered Higurashi, it was via the anime, probably in early-mid 2010 or so, shortly after I dropped out of school due to my depression hitting me like a train. The concept - the whole time loops thing, and the mystery of this weird little Japanese village - drew me in, and I ended up watching through the whole thing.
At the time, when I finished watching Kai and saw that last scene focused on Rika’s calendar, saying July 1st, I couldn’t stop crying, and I couldn’t rightly explain why - and I don’t often cry at fiction in general! I’m pretty emotional, I’m not going to pretend otherwise, but it just takes a lot to make me shed tears for some reason. It wasn’t until years later (like, last year or the year before, I think), when I read the manga of Minagoroshi-hen, that it finally clicked, thanks to this piece of narration from Rika:
"It’s like watching the same video, over and over. Every time you watch it, you’re less surprised by what happens, less moved. You lose all the emotions connected to it…"
Whenever I talked about what depression felt like for me, that was exactly how I’d describe it - not as any sense of sadness or anything like that, but just a complete disconnected from the world around me. The more I thought about Higurashi with that in mind, the more I realized how much Rika’s journey paralleled my own - culminating in her “recovery”, by reaching July. The fact that I’d gone into it just looking for a bit of a scare made it that much more moving. Suffice to say, while my heart is pretty solidly devoted to Umineko now, Higurashi’s always going to have a special place on my bookshelf, too.

For Umineko: Same as above, really, though from the start I kinda felt I’d run into something like that. As I made my way through the first few Eps, I did start to feel some of the same patterns emerging - Battler’s despair at the end of Ep2, and eventually Ange and Maria’s stories in Ep4. Even though I was still flailing about trying to understand “magic” and everything at the time, Ange’s conclusion towards the end of Ep4 on Rokkenjima was just as moving as seeing Rika tearing a page off her calendar.
And then those red truths at the very end hit - and despite watching the anime, I was absolutely not prepared. Please kill me quickly. I wish I’d never been born. While Higurashi’s “depression” reveal (as I’m calling it) was a huge blow on its own, just this in Umineko was already so much stronger - because it was coming from someone who I never would’ve expected it from. Up until that point, I was still floundering and trying to find some solid motive to ascribe to Beato… and then, suddenly, there she is, screaming out. Suddenly, I understood that the depths of her final question - “Who am I?” - were much deeper than I could’ve anticipated.
Having said that, when first reading through Chiru, even though I had a sense that there was “someone else” hidden behind Beato, and that that “someone else” was the one begging for her death, I was just as lost and confused as before. The meanings of Battler’s realization in ???5, Ange and Featherine’s discussion about “furniture” and the love duel in Ep6, even Yasu “becoming” a witch, leaving Shannon alone, and then creating Kanon for her - all of that went over my head. It wasn’t until Bernkastel’s game in Ep8, where she explicitly says that Kanon disappears if Shannon dies, that the pieces started to snap into place, and that moment of comprehension finally hit.
Another thing I deal with from time to time that I didn’t mention earlier is gender dysphoria - I was assigned male at birth (and consider myself genderfluid), and honestly, most of the time I don’t really mind that too much (though I do hate having facial hair with a burning passion), but sometimes it just feels… so unbearably wrong, to the point that I just can’t function. Finding that Yasu not only was a character with the same issues, but that the only way the reader would know (pre-manga, at least) for sure was by reading through the story again to see where she peeks out, to decipher the meaning behind all of those conversations that seemed relatively innocuous earlier… It hit really close to home, and it’s part of why Umineko is a reading experience I’ll never forget.

TL;DR for both - To me, Higurashi and Umineko are both about inviting the reader to explore their capacity for empathy. Higurashi does it fairly straightforwardly, through Rika, Shion, and Takano, while Umineko takes it a step further, telling you that you have to make the effort to discern what’s really happening yourself, which makes the eventual moment of understanding all that much more powerful (and yes, I vastly prefer the VN over the manga for that, though I do appreciate the extra clarification the manga offers in some places). The fact that its key characters (Rika for Higurashi, Yasu for Umineko) are ones I myself can relate to so strongly to begin with just make it that much more special.
Also, since I can’t go without mentioning it: The fact that I can pick any chapter in any Episode of Umineko and I’m still basically guaranteed to find something new in there somewhere (some tidbit about Yasu, about the nature of the forgeries, about the rest of the family, etc.) is truly incredible to me. I aspire to one day be able to write a multi-layered story that feeds into itself the way Umineko does.

(yeah concision and I don’t really get along, whoops)

8 Likes