The future of Rokkenjima

For anyone who hasn’t heard: the Rokkenjima website and Discord server are about to be closed in one month. While the website here is expensive to maintain, Discord servers are free. I really love the community we have here (even if I’m pretty inactive), and would like to keep it together if I can. So I’m proposing a couple of possible solutions:

• Aspi transfers ownership of the Discord server to someone new. We’d organise a vote on who that should be, with each candidate outlining their vision for how the community should be run.
  • A new Discord server is created that we migrate to.

Personally, I think migrating to a new server is risky, not everyone will go to the same server as we split ourselves up amidst multiple competing options and we’d lose that sense of continuity. I’d much rather have Aspi spend the 5 seconds it takes to transfer ownership to someone else who is passionate about Rokkenjima. I get that Aspi wants to make Rokkenjima a “memorial” of sorts, but I’d rather keep the community alive.

I put up a poll to vote on this here.

Should we choose to transfer ownership, there are going to be many questions to ask on the future of the community, what sort of participation requirement we should or shouldn’t have etc, but we’ll address that later. For now, let’s try to focus on just whether the Discord server should survive.

Edit: I forgot we could host polls on-site here. Sorry, I messed up. If anyone has any difficulty voting on the google form, please let me know and I’ll manually log them here (this can be anonymous if you prefer, just let me know).

In addition to the listed google form votes:

• machelmore and Xak vote for server ownership change.
2 Likes

I voted for ‘transfer ownership’, but truthfully, I am okay with both options.

As long as we are able to get properly organized and settle on a new Discord, I think the community wouldn’t splinter and everyone would just migrate there. On the other hand, I can understand why people also think just transferring the ownership is the best idea. Seems like an easy process and a less risky choice in comparison to creating a brand new server.

I am absolutely certain that no matter what the outcome may be, things will work out.

3 Likes

I just think the risk of fracturing the community is far higher with a migration than an ownership change. There’s the prospect of multiple competing servers being created, and the effort involved means you inevitably lose some people. You also lose that sense of cohesion, the history, of a shared place.

On a more positive note, I’m quite excited at the prospect of changes coming. The new server/management could open up a higanbana and RGD spoiler channel, we could drop the access requirements for spoiler channels (as I feel it’s pointless, those who haven’t read Umineko don’t need the “umineko-spoilers” channel hidden, they can just choose not to look and mute it). We could also have channels for people’s readthroughs of Umineko. It seems quite popular on a lot of fandom servers to do that now, where each person reading Umineko has a channel to log their impressions as they go.

1 Like

The risk is higher, yes, but not that much higher. People created their own servers even while Rokkenjima was still running. That’s never going to change. I believe most of the people here would gladly migrate to a new server as long as everyone was properly notified about it.

However, I do see your point. We’ll just have to wait and see.

That’s why I suggested creating affiliated servers on Discord. Making servers affiliated with one another I think would decrease the chances of everyone becoming fractured.

1 Like

I wasn’t actually part of the Rokkenjima Discord, but I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to joining a new one if someone were to make it

1 Like

I was permanently banned for this poll and disputing that might makes right. Arguing that merely having the power to delete the server didn’t give Aspi the moral right to decide the fate of the community. The community is bigger than any one person, and no one person should be allowed to dictate its future. The community doesn’t own Aspi, just as he doesn’t own the community. He has the right to RESIGN, but he has no right to destroy all we’ve built together over all these years. I ask that all members of the community of moral conviction stand up for their rights and refuse to be intimidated by a dictator who thinks only of what they want. Build a better world!

2 Likes

The fuck. He has no right to ban you over that. That’s bullshit. If he wants to close the website, that’s fine and understandable, but since Discord servers are free and it wouldn’t take much effort to give it to someone else, there’s no reason to close it, and banning someone for using logical sense is fucking nonsense.

I was extremely “passionate” in my defense of the community in Discord, and I didn’t hold back in calling out bullshit where I saw it. I was a disruptive presence for sure, but I believe that’s a price worth paying for standing up for this community.

In that case, the ban is justified, but still, closing the Discord doesn’t make much sense.

I’m not going to argue the ban. I only hope that if the community wants to live, it’ll argue for its survival rather than meekly accepting the will of someone who cares nothing for it anymore. It’s up to you now. Given the sycophant reactions I got on Discord, I don’t rate the chances of success high.

Do you love rokkenjima?

That’s what it comes down to in the end…
There is one and a half month left to rokkenjima…

Let’s make it a happy one and a half month left.
Let’s not spend these last moments at war.

Because the outcome is not going to change anyway.
All you can choose now is how to spend that time.
Enjoying it’s last days, or turning it into a horrible 1.5 months.

Do you love rokkenjima?

17 Likes

Shoutout to Usagi <3

6 Likes

So for everyone as myself who aren’t allowed on the Discord, how are the conversations going regarding this? Any new place we can migrate to? Will the Discord live on?

3 Likes

There is going to be a new Discord chat where the fans will move, but there is still some time left before the current Discord chat is shut down.

To join the current Discord chat, you just need to attain the Witch rank, so try posting and being active a bit more, you’ll get it in no time. :slight_smile: (hopefully the link to the new chat will be posted here on the forums so everyone can migrate in time)

3 Likes

Thanks a ton for the update Ushiromiya_Battler! I’ll be on the lookout here for the new Discord then. I’m more of a lurker (probably will try to chime in more in the future) which have prevented me from attaining the Witch rank.

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

Feel free to share your opinions on various topics such as the 07th expansion works you’ve read or even what visual novels you’re reading!

3 Likes

I just found this site and it’s already closing down feels very heartbreaking. Is there anyway to join the new discord as a new member of this forum?

Edit: Uh, I hope I can earn the witch rank in time.

4 Likes

I’m definitely feeling the same way, I almost feel like I’m trying to enter the golden land at the last minute. :stuck_out_tongue:
I hope the community manages to stick together cause watching communities fracture is very sad :frowning: