The House in Fata Morgana Discussion

Figured this might deserve its own topic since it somehow feels like most people who like 07th Expansion would probably like this as well. Feel free to discuss the entirety of the visual novel without spoiler tags, but please tag spoilers for outside references including 07th Expansion novels and the untranslated Fata Morgana side stories.

4 Likes

Iā€™m really looking forward to playing this! Iā€™ve been held off because they have no Mac support, but Iā€™ll get it set up in my virtual Windows environment soon enough. Probably wonā€™t have any sort of time to check it out until after Final Fantasy XV has happened. This title repeatedly gets emphatically positive reviews on the visual novel subreddit.

1 Like

More character designs for the PS Vita exclusive Modern Day Arc have been revealed- I have to admit, although I vastly prefer the art direction of the original game, the new character designs are really fetching, at least in the costume department.

1 Like

I read Fata Morgana back in September, when someone I was acquainted with on a VN forum gifted me a copy of the game. I blasted through it in about a week, and it was utterly incredible.
I recently wrote an introduction about it on Reddit so I wonā€™t repeat why I love this VN, but I can say that it is likely in my top 3 favorite VNs and definitely has a spot in top 5. TL;DR: Perfect pacing and characterization, heavy subject matter of the VN is handled extremely well, itā€™s an incredibly rewarding and poignant journey, best art and OST Iā€™ve ever seen in a VN. Nothing so quite profoundly human exists in the VN sphere to my knowledge, except perhaps Umineko.
Go in blind, ideally.

4 Likes

The opening for the voice-acted Vita port is really powerful. Hereā€™s to hoping someone ports the voice-overs to the PC version, like they did with the Alchemist WTC games.
2 Likes

I think only the new, epilogue-ish part of the Vita port will be voice acted. Which is just as fine, I feel that this VN works better without voices somehow.

Jesus fuck, though. (Very tiny spoiler) That OP is a remix of one of the most heartwarming tracks in the whole game, I canā€™t believe they could make it sound so depressing.
Hereā€™s the original

1 Like

Oh, a Fata Morgana thread. Honestly, any Umineko fan should read it, itā€™s probably the VN closest to Umineko and similar for many things.

1 Like

The House in Fata Morgana in Summary:
Untitled

07th expansion fans will definitely enjoy The house in Fata Morgana. Itā€™s become my second favorite visual novel (second to Umineko of course).

For a singular mystery title with a lot of story arcs to cover, the pacing is great. I never felt like I was being pulled too fast and was given enough time to soak up everything that was going on. The mysteries involved unraveled nicely, leaving you on your seat wanting more and more. I can agree that the beginning with the first few doors is a bit droll at moments to get through but after that the game spikes in interest.

I will admit I spent a good 60% of this game emotionally compromised as a sobbing mess. Its wild how I was crying one minute and laughing the next. I was so emotionally invested in every single one of the characters so the ending left me extremely happy. I could go on and on about this game but Iā€™ll cut myself short.

Also, it looks like Translation for -Another Episode- is slowly coming along. Iā€™m not expecting it till hopefully next year since Mangagamer gives localization priority to its moreā€¦robust games. I donā€™t mind the wait thoughā€“anything to get my hands on more of Morganaā€™s story.

3 Likes

Well, I got interested in a VN for onceā€¦ and actually went ahead and purchased this one, which Iā€™ve just started to play. I did, as usual, spoil myself, but avoided spoiling myself in detail for once, thus the story is, for the most part, a mystery to me. It doesnā€™t seem much impressive as of now, but weā€™ll seeā€¦

2 Likes

Some people find the first two chapters slow (Personally I really like the first one), but it really picks up after them.

There is a demo for those who want to try it, it includes the first two chapters, so like, a big chunk of the novel.

1 Like

Meh, I already dropped it. Didnā€™t seem much interesting and besides Iā€™m not into VNs nor have the patience to read them, so yeah. Well, if I ever do pick it up again, it will probably be a while until I doā€¦

First two/three chapters are a slow burn, not that that is really a bad thing, but it gets so much better from there

1 Like

Eh, the slow pacing is not much of an issue for me, I just find the story pretty dullā€¦

I was bored so I picked this up again for a little while, donā€™t know when Iā€™ll continue it, though. Anyways, the, uh, second chapter I suppose, the one set in 1707, wasnā€™t too bad, definitely more interesting than the one set in 1603. Not enough to make me like the work though, but it looks fine enough to make me want to play the VN from time to time.

1 Like

Mmm I felt that way too for the first two chapters. For the first one I was struggling to read in more than 15 min segments and for the second I really did not like the Pauline segments. It did pick up for me in the 3rd chapter though and in later chapters grew to become one of my favourite stories. Hopefully itā€™ll be the same for youā€“when/if you get to that point, youā€™ll know.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™m certainly enjoying this novel!
Currently, Iā€™m at the ā€œTranquil Daysā€ chapter, and I must say this novel has really captured my heart. So far its been a nice slice of life-ish experience, but I doubt this tranquility will continue considering the Maidā€™s suggestion of a war on the horizon and also because this is a horror VN.
Some of you who are around on the Discord channel already know some of my theories so I thought Iā€™d post some of them here!
Firstly, Iā€™m pretty convinced that the Rhodes country of origin is Wales. Why? Because several characters note that this area is one plagued by rain and that the sun rarely comes out-a climate that is quite characteristic of Wales. Another thing that tipped me off, was Nellieā€™s mention of Shakespeare, and how she seemed to allude that it was common knowledge of where his plays were perfomed. Also, according to Google, the place where Shakespeare lived-Warwickshire-is only 3 or so hours away from Wales.
ā€¦Though I am not so sure as to how well he was known in the rest of Europe at the time.

Going onto the characters, I have to say that I utterly adore Mell. Heā€™s such a sweetie pie and a dork that I hope nothing bad happens to him but I know something will since heā€™s likely the man the woman being crucified (who is obviously White Hair) in the prologue is referring too.
ā€¦Sadly I cannot say the same about his sister. While she isnā€™t irritating, its clear she wants to bone her brother (ew) and honestly behaves a little Eva-like in her treatment of White Hair. I can expect her to be the catalyst for something awful in the future regarding White Hair.
And speaking of White Hair, sheā€™s reminding me a lot of Shannon. This could be interestingā€¦

Edit: Mell just did a Battler, I repeat, Mell just did a fucking Battler. He made a promise to a lowly servant girl who clearly is love starved and secretly wants more for herself. nononononno its happenning agaiiiiiiiiiiiin.

Edit: Iā€™m now up to the ā€œFor Youā€ chapter. Seems like things are heating up!

2 Likes

Well, well, wellā€¦ something big is-a-brewinā€™, it seems.

I do have a hunch of what it is, but everything from this point on is conjecture, so your mileage may vary. Last year, Douglas Bogart of Limited Run Games asked Twitter what Visual Novel would be a good one to localize, and many requested The House in Fata Morgana- After all, the collected edition had just come out. Weeks later, Douglas had lunch with Novectacle founder Keika Hanada, and reported that it had gone very wellā€¦ and now, today, mere hours before Keikaā€™s tweet, Douglas tweets out:

Soā€¦ The House in Fata Morgana - Collected Edition, localized for the west, on PS4, Vita, and Switch, is something that very likely may happen.

6 Likes

I cannot adequately convey the excited screaming in my head right now. thanks man

3 Likes

I didnā€™t realize how much I wanted Fata Morgana on switch before this moment, let us all hope Dent is right on this.

Iā€™m hyped for either PSVita or PS4 Port which is a good thing.

1 Like