The Murder at High Noon

It’s time, ladies and gentlemen; the new locked room murder mystery has arrived. I’ll admit this one should be a tad easier than the previous one, the Mystery of the Island Mansion, given how brutal that one began (I encourage you to try it, if you haven’t, as it’s quite good; just avoid any posts beyond post #33, as it was solved a few posts after that). Still, I hope it provides a strong challenge, if all goes well.

Same spoiler content as the previous one: Episodes 1 and 2 of Umineko, as well as something regarding the color Blue.

Also, it’s pretty long. That was unintentional; it was originally a mystery short story I was writing for something else, but I re-purposed it for this. That’s also why it has a bit of a different, older writing style. Hopefully it still reads fine!

Prologue:

“Ugh.”

Beatrice, the Witch of the Endless Magic, moaned, her head buried in her hands. Ronove rubbed her shoulders gently, his face hiding a smile.

“What?” Battler frowned at her from a rather plush seat on the other side of an ancient chess set—currently in the starting position. “What could you possibly have to complain about?”

“You’re so stupid, Battler,” she said, rubbing her temple. “So incurably imbecilic! It’s like I’m making gameboards for a monkey!”

“Huh?!”

“Do you even bother to think about what’s happening? Why things are happening? Are you just reading the Red and nothing else? Not that it matters—if you had half a brain, you’d be able to actually use the Red for something besides discounting your own theories…”

“Wha—” He spilled the milk Ronove had set, leaning forward. “What brought this on?”

“I’m getting tired,” she said; “tired of how you simply say, ‘Oh, I just need to think more! I’m sure my sheer incompetency will be solved after smacking my dead brain matter against it for a few days!’ You see, Battler: it’s not ‘all useless.’ The only thing that’s useless is you. You can’t deduce anything. It’s been several loops now, and you haven’t gone anywhere.”

“Well—” Battler paused, almost stuck between a snarl and an apology. “It’s—”

“Yes, yes,” the witch said with a sigh, waving her hand lifelessly, “I understand. ‘Just another few times and I’ll get it!’ And we’ll keep going forever and ever, all due to your mistaken belief that you can actually improve what’s fundamentally trash.”

“I can solve it! That’s no joke, you witch. It’s just—you’re good at hiding it,” he said. “It’s complex.”

“Is it? Ha! It’s not a matter of complexity; it’s a matter of incompetency.” A pause. “…or, perhaps…” Her tone shifted, almost mocking. “…fear. Are you afraid, Ushiromiya Battlerrrrrrr?”

cacklecackle

“Are you afraid that you won’t be able to solve even a simple mystery, if you’re forced to give an answer at the end? If you can’t escape by pushing it off indefinitely?”

“Don’t give me that!” He raised his voice, smacking the chess set with a curled fist. “I can solve your mysteries, witch; I will disprove you by the end. There’s no doubt.”

Unseen to Battler, her lips curled into a smirk, hidden in her hands. “Then will you accept this challenge, Battler: to solve this one, sole locked room in one go, without moving on; and if you cannot, to finally accept my existence?”

“I’ll do it!” He stood, resolution burning within him. “This time, you’ll fall, Beatrice. Because your magic is a lie.”

As the room faded to darkness, Battler could only hear: Eheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheheh…

3 Likes

It was said the wrath of God was upon the house of Dr. Jeremiah Snell, but that wasn’t entirely accurate; at least, not in the Western sense. There were no signs of the divine, or warnings from angels, or terrible preaching from men clothed in black; there were no apostasies or heresies or excommunications.

Instead, there was an unusual occurrence that made men wonder whether the rumors of heavenly wrath had a quality of truth. If it happened only once, few would pay heed; twice, one might wonder.

But when words are written in light upon a marble floor at high noon each day, deep within the barred iron walls of a fortress home, it becomes a legend; and legends are dangerous.

The date was June 19, 19XX, and Dr. Jeremiah Snell had trundled back to his home from an academic conference around nine in the morning. His home was a curious one, built less to protect himself as to protect everyone else: large walls of iron and steel ringed him with armed guards and cameras panning every angle; the house itself, of traditional brick and mortar, had a steel boxed section in its center: a cage of sorts, or massive panic room, containing a central living room (which held the sole entrance and exit to the steel-lined complex), a bedroom, bath, and workshop.

The only opening besides the front door to this “steel cage” was a square in the ceiling of the living room to let in the light; for Dr. Snell was a worshiper of the sun, according to the rumors, in the style of his studies of ancient Egypt—his love for archaeology gone a step too far.

It was through this square window that light fell into the otherwise dark room; and upon that patch of enlightened marble, as if a revelation from the sun itself, words would appear for but a few minutes, and then disappear…

Words cursing a man to die by a fire that forever burns.

The security team didn’t have a camera inside the heart of Dr. Snell’s stronghold, but they did most everywhere else; and it was by a camera facing the door to his living room that they could spot this occurrence, as the camera (at one point in its 30 second rotation cycle) angled straight down the center of the room, the square beam of light perfectly visible for a few moments.

In June, in this region of the world, high noon (more specifically called solar noon) was fairly close to actual noon, at 1200; solar noon can be estimated to happen between 1150 and 1200. Every day, without fail, the camera caught sight of that square beam of light, and those words were written within it, only to wither away by the next time the camera swept by.

And each time, they would also see Dr. Jeremiah Snell kneeling to one side of it, reading the words with a mix of horror and wonder.

As with all things mysterious, the guards were intrigued and alarmed for the first few days; but as weeks passed, and then months, they assumed it was naught but some fluke of the Professor’s and took no more notice of it.

Not till the slow-sweeping camera found Dr. Snell lying dead in that very square of light, an arrow piercing the center of his heart, with broken glass floating about the growing pool of blood.

Guards poured through the stronghold, securing the outer gates and moving in sector by sector; but it was no use. There were too many potential suspects; too many servants, too many workers, too many guests.

But once they checked the cameras, they had the opposite problem: there were too few suspects. Namely, none.

Everyone who entered that room that day had already left by 11:45, with the sole exception of the victim. Excluding the hole in the ceiling, there were no other entrances to the steel-ringed room but the front door; and while the front door itself wasn’t constantly watched, all paths to this inner sanctum were. No one from the outside could have snuck in.

The rooms themselves were bare: there was nothing of note besides his books, his bed, his blood, and his body. However, upon their examination of the glass littered upon the now bloodied marble floor, the guards realized its source: a glass panel had been slid over the square ceiling opening, and the light streaming through would make the words appear below. Said panel had been shattered and fell atop the doctor’s body, presumably by the arrow.

However, this still puzzled the guards. There was only one way to access the roof: through one of several secured staircases, leading to a single roof-access door which can only be unlocked by Dr. Snell’s personal keycard. Said keycard was found in his pocket at the crime scene, and the camera guaranteed that, from the moment Dr. Snell was found dead, no one could have slipped in and taken or replaced his keycard. Thus meaning no one could have unlocked the roof door to move said glass panel while Dr. Snell remained downstairs.

Second, the glass panel itself should not have been covering the ceiling hole, as the camera did not show the message in light before Dr. Snell’s murder; but the glass panel was certainly covering the ceiling hole before the murder. The shattered remains of glass about the body proves it. But that brings a contradiction with the previous point: if Dr. Snell was downstairs, dead, killed by the arrow, then his keycard was also there, preventing anyone from opening the door to get to the roof to slide the panel across. Furthermore, the guards found no machinery or mechanism to do it; it had to be done by hand. There just wasn’t any hand to do it.

Third, and most obvious, is the problem of the arrow: there didn’t seem to be any bow to fire it. How could a bow have been snuck into the compound? Is the unthinkable alternative really possible—for someone to fire an arrow from the outside at such an angle as to fall through the hole in the ceiling and pierce his heart? Or did someone sneak to the sealed roof with a bow for a much easier shot?

All else they had was the arrow, and upon its shaft was written in ancient Egyptian: “the wrath of Ra”. Everything else seemed to imply that neither a bow nor a bowman existed to fire it.

The bolt from heaven had fallen upon the cursed professor who dared dig up the secrets of the ancient religion…

The guards afterwards gathered up the guests and questioned them extensively. Of them, three testimonies stood out.

First was the doctor’s doctor: Dr. Kenneth James Arnold, M.D., of St. Mary’s Hospital in XXXX. He had arrived at ten that morning and greeted the professor upon his return.

"The late doctor had chronic back pains, which he oft called me over to treat—I believe from some sort of professional accident while over in Egypt. I had heard of the ‘curse,’ of course, from the gossips of the staff; such nonsense. My patient was certainly sick, but not sick in the head. I doubt he put much faith in such things. There’s a reason such curses are ancient; the attitudes that believe them are also ancient. The doctor was sound in mental health, even if he did dabble in…whatever it was he did in that room. I never quite knew his purpose in cutting a square hole in his ceiling, but it certainly wasn’t religion. Much more likely irreligion. He’s not so much of a man to prove a theory as to disprove someone else’s theory. But that’s another topic.

"In any case, this was one such morning. I received a call near eight from the university he was lecturing at, asking if I could meet him here upon his return for the usual treatment. I acquiesced; I arrived near ten for the usual check-in and waited in the entrance lobby, where I met that fiend General Hartmeyer. If anyone killed the poor doctor, it had to be him; he and his damned cohort of superstitious ilk kept rallying against the doctor all this past month, sending him pamphlets and books and all sorts of nonsense. They thought he was some kind of heretic, I believe. I’m not a criminal psychiatrist, so I can’t say much else of them.

“Regardless, he and Dr. Snell’s contemporary, Professor Jameson Wren, were also in the waiting room; I don’t recall exactly when they arrived and left. Not that it much matters; I simply hated sharing the room with the General. I don’t know much of Dr. Wren, besides the sense that he had a good head on his shoulders, much like Dr. Snell.

“I was called in near 10:30 and found the doctor in fine health. He didn’t appear to have any symptoms besides some minor back pain that soon subsided with a pinch of medication. We made small talk. I scheduled his physical therapy, and he sent me off. I left near 11 sharp and went straight out the door; didn’t bother to stop by the waiting room again. An hour later, I was called in to examine his corpse. He did indeed die by an arrow to the head; I’d swear on it!

“As for the murder: I haven’t a clue. Wait—I suppose this is less of a clue than a suspicion, but it just occurred to me that this whole ‘words of light’ nonsense might be the very heart to it all. Perhaps someone meant for him to become superstitious like this; perhaps this message was designed to convince him to become whatever it is he’s become. Though it’d be strange to do, given that he’s just made it harder to kill him… Unfortunately, there’s nothing else I know of the matter.”

“Yes, I’m Professor Jameson Wren. I worked with Dr. Snell on a good number of sites over in Egypt, though I can’t say we’re partners; our association is more akin to fellow researchers who enjoyed each other’s company. Our research, in general, remained our own.

“But, as stated, we did come to be friendly to one another; and a month or so back, I received an invitation to come visit the old Doctor, recently retired, to catch up on old times. I arrived near the turn of ten in the morning and was admitted rather quickly.

“I hadn’t seen the man in ages, so I was rather shocked to see him all bound up almost in a cage, with steel and cameras and walls; in a sense, I could see why. His injury in Egypt—I don’t believe I was there for the incident, so I myself don’t know how serious it was—apparently gave him some kind of superstition of the relics he was studying. He seemed to believe he was cursed; kept pushing books at me and talking about this message from the Sun he kept getting at every high noon.

“I left after only ten or so minutes, as I couldn’t stand to see how far he’d fallen; he used to be a superb intellectual. I don’t know what to make of it.

“As for his murder: I can’t really say. I certainly didn’t do it; I’ve never used a bow and arrow in my life. The General is a military man, but it was the doctor who had the deepest hate of superstition…”

“Thank you for coming, Inspector. It’s a tragedy. Truly. The poor Doctor was a good man, even if misguided. I had met him through our church many moons ago, and we grew to be good friends. But after his accident in Egypt, he grew bitter and angry. It’s been a rough few years…

“Anyway, onto the matter at hand; I will save my grief for later. The good Doctor had called me the evening before; he sounded off. Strained. He’s been like this before—but nothing had ever come of it. Regardless, I decided I’d pay him a visit. He hadn’t been in the best of places recently, as evidenced by his apparent attempt to turn his house into a fallout shelter.

“So I showed up a little after ten in the morning, unannounced. He was not happy. He kept me waiting, as I watched his associate, Dr. Wren, and his personal doctor go in and out. Eventually, almost near 11:30, he finally decided to meet with me, and I knew something was wrong.

“He had this giddy smile on his face, but the humor behind it was wrong. You know—a hostile kind of humor, wrapped up in hatred. I’ve known it well; my military career had its strain of mistakes, of mistaking the satisfaction of my hatred with joy. He smiled at me and laughed, and I was afraid for him.

“‘Finally,’ he had cried to me: ‘finally, it’s happening!’ I tried to get more out of him, but he just laughed and shook his head. ‘Only another half hour, and this whole damn thing will be worth it. Years of planning!’ He giggled again. ‘Ah, how sweet…’

“These past few months, I had been trying to get him away from doing whatever nonsense he was cooking up with the Sun and Egypt and the message in the light—I knew he didn’t believe any of it. Superstition is irreligion, and that man knew his religion damn well. I can’t say the same for his contemporary, Dr. Wren; I fancy he became an archaeologist precisely because he was fascinated by a belief in Egyptian curses and whatnot. But Dr. Snell was not such a man.

“In any case, my efforts were in vain. I was shooed out come 11:45. I walked out the door and back to my car, a tad depressed, till I heard this awful news. I wish I could help more…”

Given the length of the narrative:

In lieu of any beginning theories or back & forth to cover the obvious, I will simply give these Red:

No one can hide from a camera. If the story said a camera did not see anyone, whether it be in an area or passing through an area, then no one existed in that area or passed through that area during that period (respectively). For the purposes of this Game, the cameras see the truth and can be trusted as Red themselves.

Dr. Jeremiah Snell is dead.

The story’s narration can be trusted as Red (from the perspective of an impartial investigator), though the rumors and the suspects’ testimony therein are not necessarily so.

The Game has begun!

7 Likes

I’m too tired to wage a full battle currently, so I’ll just lay down some shots to allow my opposite to see what he can do.

The killer reached the roof using a grappling hook or a similar device. This device was portable enough to be carried away from the scene after the murder. In other words: the killer accessed the roof via a means other than the door using device X.

Repetition requested: Glass floats on blood.

Repetition requested: The ceiling window was not open air, it had a layer of material separating the inside of the room from the outside.

Repetition requested: No human being could fit through the gap offered by the window if the aforementioned layer of material was not present. (Watch out for a logic error here, babies are human).

Repetition requested: The aforementioned layer of material in the window was glass.

Dr Jeremiah was killed by someone on the roof who fired an arrow at him through the window. They then shattered a prepared panel of glass to leave shards on the victim’s body.

1 Like

Ah, yes: the usual queries. We will dance to this tune, as usual.

There is only one entrance to the roof: the roof access door mentioned in the narrative. No human entered the roof without passing through that sole entrance.

For clarification, I see no reason to refuse a few of these Red:

For the purposes of this Game, glass does float on blood; it is consistent with glass falling onto the body from above.

The window was indeed open air, unless a) it was bad weather, in which case it would close via a mechanical steel grate, not unlike a retractable roof; or b) the glass panel mentioned in the narrative has been pulled over it.

However, regarding the gap offered by the window: I refuse! cacklecackle

It was plenty big for a human to squeeze through! But it won’t matter in the end; it was magic which killed him, after all! Eheheh!

I won’t refute your blue, as it stands; I have no need to! After all, it is my contention that the mentioned bowman (“someone”) is the God of the Sun! Perhaps your blue is true, after all. cacklecackle

Repetition requested: This “mechanical steel grate” did not close for the whole of the day of the murder.

The aforementioned mechanical steel grate did not close at all during this Game!

Can you really leave that window gap open?

Any visitor could have stolen the doctor’s keycard and then used it to access the roof. Then all they had to do is shoot from there, climb down and quickly return the card, climb back up, and leave. (If leaving the roof without the card was an issue they could have stuck something in the door to keep it from closing.)

It’s not really clear whether there are cameras watching the staircases to the roof, so if there are I guess you can ignore this one.

1 Like

Good good, I would expect no less from such a master of the board.

Time to light the fire, this’ll be over before I have to turn them!

There is only one entrance to the roof: the roof access door mentioned in the narrative.

Are there any other means of accessing the roof which non humans could utilize? I’ll ask it in the form of a request.

Repetition requested: No creature or object could access the roof by any means aside from the roof access door.

Time for a retooling:

Dr Jeremiah was killed by a human on the roof who fired an arrow at him through the window. They then shattered a prepared panel of glass to leave shards on the victim’s body.

Repetition requested: Dr Jeremiah was killed after Eleven o’clock prime meridian on June 19, 19XX.

Repetition requested: Dr Jeremiah was killed after 45 minutes past Eleven o’clock prime meridian on June 19, 19XX.

Repetition requested: The above reds refer to the timezone the murder took place in.

Repetition requested: Every location relevant to the murder (aside from Egypt) is in the same timezone.

Repetition requested: The murder does not take place in Egypt.

1 Like

Dr. Snell’s keycard remained on his person, within the living room, all the way through 11:45. In addition, recall this portion of the narrative:

[quote=“ghagler, post:2, topic:1030”]
Everyone who entered that room that day had already left by 11:45, with the sole exception of the victim. Excluding the hole in the ceiling, there were no other entrances to the steel-ringed room but the front door; and while the front door itself wasn’t constantly watched, all paths to this inner sanctum were.[/quote]

This, as mentioned previously, may be considered as Red. So how, then, could his keycard have been stolen?

By magic, of course! Eheheheheh!

I will be gracious and clarify more:

No non-human object related to this Game could access the roof by any means aside from the roof access door. The same goes for humans.

Dr. Snell was murdered between 11:50 AM and 12:00 noon of June 19, 19XX, as told in the narrative; this will be referred to as “high noon” in subsequent Reds. These times correspond to the same times, timezone, and other ways of measuring time as told in the narrative. Every location relevant to the murder is referred to in these same times, timezones, et cetera, besides Egypt, but the murder does not take place in Egypt.

As for your theory:

Of all humans capable of murder, only the three interviewed characters (Dr. Kenneth James Arnold, Professor Jameson Wren, and the General) could have committed this murder.

But how did they get to the roof?

My first suspect is the General if only because of his slip-up about being less depressed as soon as he heard about Dr. Snell being murdered. I doubt Jameson Wren is the murderer, a man who hasn’t seen the victim in ages and only came to catch up on old times hardly has a motive for murder, now would he?

The mystery of the glass panel is hardly an issue with our current information. Dr. Snell removed the glass panel himself. It’s very possible he even had it on his person when he was murdered, and it shattered just as or after he was murdered. This explains why the message didn’t show up that day, and how the glass panel was removed even though ‘no one could have removed it’.

2 Likes

Here’s my twisted bizarre blue! I apologize for the lack of proper respect shown to your board ghagler, but I can’t let this possibility slip away.

“Dr. Snell’s Keycard” and “Dr. Snell’s personal Keycard” are two different things, due to bizarre naming convention X. Therefore, the roof could still be unlocked by a killer even when “Dr. Snell’s keycard” remains in the room.

1 Like

Eheheh—suspicion of such treachery is wise. Alas:

There is only one kind of keycard, which both statements of “Dr. Snell’s Keycard” and “Dr. Snell’s personal Keycard” refer to.

(To clarify in case of confusion: the glass panel could not have been on the window before high noon, as the message would’ve rather obviously appeared at some angle inside the room, which it did not.)

Dr. Snell did not remove the glass panel at any point on the day he died.

Oh please. He removed it the day before the incident.

1 Like

Ha! Very well:

Dr. Snell did not remove the glass panel at any point on the day he died, nor did he have it on him. The glass panel was on the roof, though not covering the window, at the beginning of that same day.

Hmm~ now isn’t that interesting. On that day, the glass panel had been deliberately set up to fall at high noon. It shattered on Dr. Snell’s head with the shards giving him a fatal injury. One of the suspects stuck an arrow in the skull afterwards to mask the true method of murder.

1 Like

Getting creative, Battler! Eheheh—but how would one have stabbed this arrow into his heart? No one else existed inside the living room during the period from the beginning of high noon till the camera infallibly saw Dr. Snell dead, with the arrow piercing his heart!

(Note: I fixed an inconsistency in the narrative where one sentence said the arrow pierced his heart and another said it pierced his skull. Both say heart now.)

1 Like

could access

Then explain how an arrow fired from a nearby plane could not reach the roof. If not then we might have a logic error…

“related to the Game” implies that, even if such an arrow were to be fired, it would have no effect on the Game. Or, if it would have an effect on the Game, it could not be fired for some reason.

This naturally includes someone firing an arrow from a plane and killing Dr. Snell.

Time for some unlikely guesses, going with Karifean’s falling glass pane theory.

The arrow was set up to fall together with the glass. Heck, maybe it was connected to the pane to add extra weight and make it more likely it’d fall with enough force to pierce the heart.

1 Like

The arrow entered Dr. Snell through a direct act of another; it was not set in motion by any kind of trap or by gravity.