The Murder at High Noon

…such a barrage of powerful Blue. Is there really anything I can respond with?

Ah…perhaps this is the end of this Game…

…if you can respond to this!

After 11:30 AM, it is impossible for anyone to move from the living room to the roof access door without being seen; Dr. Snell was not seen! Furthermore, the living room remained occupied all the way through 11:30!

Dr. Snell met each person only and exactly once in person! ‘A meeting in person’ includes one person sneaking up on another; it is enough for two people to be in the same room to constitute ‘a meeting,’ and Dr. Snell did not meet any person more than once!

Dr. Snell did not want to die! But he was murdered, and his murderer laughed in glee!

As for your request, @Karifean: I refuse! cacklecackle

What more need I say? Did you enjoy my generous gift of Red Truth? Eheheheheh—AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

2 Likes

There is no heavenly punishment, there is no Egyptian curse. Miracles and magic… do not exist. There are only ordinary men, seeking to murder each other through mundane means concealed under a layer of mysticism.

Dr. Snell left for the roof in preparation for his murder plan before 11:30 AM. He had invited his victim to come to his study at high noon to study the letters of light, but they hadn’t met on that day before his would-be victim also entered the roof. And so, Dr. Snell was slain by the one whom he sought to murder. Other guests occupied the living room until 11:45 - the Red only states it was occupied, not by whom.

2 Likes

While I don’t like my theory as much as the one posted above, I’ll throw it out anyway.

Dr. Snell wanted the bow and arrow to be there for his ceremony, and helped the killer sneak it into the building without the guards knowledge.

Before 11:30, Dr. Snell opened the roof door. After that, he met with the killer outside his room and told him about the unlocked door and to wait there until high noon. The killer went to the roof before 11:30.

The killer was supposed wait until high noon to execute the Doctor’s plan, but he had a different plan from the beginning. At high noon, the killer jumped down the grate and stabbed Dr. Snell.

1 Like

Let us return to this mystery for a bit.

One curious bit I’ve been thinking is who set up the glass pane with the message from the Sun? Only our fair doctor has direct access to the roof after all, so did he do it himself? And if he did, for what purpose?

Now then we have a rather simple problem with the meetings. It has been confirmed in red that Dr. Snell met each person only and exactly once in person. But General Hartmeyer confirms in his own testimony that he saw the Doctor and Wren enter and leave the room, and he spoke with the victim himself afterwards. Unless he is an accomplice to the murder, it seems quite impossible for anyone else to murder him. Pieces are unaware of the red truth after all, they would not deliberately act in such a way that such a red statement could be made - and if there is another reason for them to act in such a way, I pose that it would be able to figure it out by the original story alone. I’ve read it a few times now, and I see no such reason.

Speaking of testimonies though, let’s go over them once again, shall we? All three guests arrived near 10 on the day of the murder. They were all aware of each other’s existence and both the Doctor and General talk about sharing the waiting room with both others, so their stories match up. Their impression of the victim, however, is a different matter. Doctor Arnold claims Snell was of sound mental health. Wren claims Snell was talking about curses and strange grimoires and he couldn’t stand to see him like that. General Hartmeyer instead says Snell didn’t believe in any of his ‘superstitions’ but was greatly anticipating the fruits of long planning.

As for Snell’s general demeanor, according to the doctor he was sick, with chronic back pains, but he was of sound mind and most certainly wasn’t particularly religious. And apparently he likes disproving others’ theories, which sounds like it could put him at odds with any radical religious follower. Wren hadn’t seen Snell in ages and only shares his own theories; he says Snell apparently got superstitious because of his injury in Egypt. The general apparently met Snell through the church but also recounted how Snell grew bitter and angry after his injury in Egypt, and it’s been a rough few years for them since. Interesting how the Doctor says Snell had a penchant for irreligion, while the General emphasizes his more religious side, huh?

Wren is the most curious person of all involved, as far as I’m concerned. He apparently hasn’t seen Snell in ages, and yet he happened to be invited to Snell’s “cage” the very day the latter is murdered. And the invitation was sent a month prior, unlike the Doctor and General which were invited on short notice. He was also the first to be admitted to the victim’s room.

The general is an easy target for a religion-motivated murder. Perhaps the general and Snell were actually on rather bad terms the last few months, the little magic trick with the sun’s message was the General’s way of trying to revitalize Snell’s faith, and Snell instead gleefully anticipated exposing the truth of that little trick. It could be that Snell actually was branded a ‘heretic’, and persecuted and executed for it, hmm? It’s also possible he lied about being invited to Snell in the first place, he did show up unannounced after all. And he says he was a tad depressed UNTIL he heard news of Snell’s passing.

Perhaps the reason Snell was in such a strongly fortified stronghold was to protect himself from potential assailants…?

The doctor, finally, is an easy target for an accomplice. He swears the victim died by arrow, unlikely as it sounds, and he also attested to giving the victim medication earlier, which could’ve been anything. He’s also obviously in the position of the most trusted of anyone.

Ultimately we still come back to the issue of the General himself attesting to both the Doctor and Wren entering and leaving the victim’s room, and the red guarantee that everyone only met the victim once and exactly once. This is a pretty clear target on the General’s back, I must say…

What do you think?

3 Likes

The gameboard is still open, so examining things in greater detail would be appropriate.

I maintain that since the compound was closely guarded and only Snell had a keycard with which the roof could be accessed, it seems unlikely that anyone other than Snell himself could have set up the glass pane on the roof for months without detection. If the glass pane was on the roof all these months and the mysterious pane pusher only moved it on top of the window and off it, then surely Snell would’ve found the glass pane on the roof one day, unless he never went to the roof during all those months. If the pane had to be smuggled into and out of the compound every time, then surely the cameras would’ve picked some suspicious individual entering and leaving with a box or something to carry the pane with, day after day. Unless Snell blindly believed that this was divine revelation and somesuch and didn’t try to find a mundane cause for the letters to appear, he would’ve surely discovered the trick eventually.

Additionally, I believe we have a red stating that the glass pane was on the roof at the beginning of the day of the murder. This suggests that the glass pane was stored on the roof and simply moved onto the window whenever appropriate, which means that unless Snell never went onto the roof, he would’ve discovered the pane. Who would use a plan to trick Snell into believing superstitious nonsense that hinged on the unlikely scenario of him never visiting the roof? Moreover, as the General’s testimony implied some plan that Snell had apparently been working on for months was finally coming to fruition, wouldn’t it make sense that this plan of Snell’s was something that was at least hinted at in the story, instead of something that happened completely offscreen? The only thing that would’ve taken months of effort from Snell that can be found from the story is moving around the glass pane.

So, I’m pretty confident in the conclusion that Snell orchestrated the glass pane act himself. If we assume this charade was indeed a part of the plan that Snell had been executing for months, and the General believed Snell was a man out for blood, it would seem the glass pane charade would somehow help Snell hurt someone. The only reason to go to such lengths that I can think of is that it somehow allows him to manipulate someone to do something, which allows Snell to murder them. My working theory has been that it was done to convince professor Wren to go study the letters so that Snell can murder him with a bow. Wren seems like the only character who might care about some mysterious letters of light.

What should be considered is the murder weapon as well. It was an arrow inscribed with “the wrath of Ra” in ancient Egyptian - not just any arrow. It would not have been used unless using it held some special meaning for the murderer. Wren is the only character who has a history with Snell connected to Egypt and archaeology. Using an arrow like this seems to make sense only if one of them sought to murder the other. I suppose it could be a red herring used by the murderer with no other purpose than to confuse the investigation, but it seems a bit too specific to be that. It isn’t like you can purchase arrows inscribed with ancient Egyptian from the nearest Walmart.

The testimonies combined with the red truth about each person meeting Snell only once causes an issue. According to Dr. Arnold, he entered the waiting room at around 10:00, and was called in near 10:30. He saw Wren and Hartmeyer in the waiting room, but made no statements about when they were called in. Wren states he came to the waiting room at around 10:00, and was admitted almost immediately, and also left almost immediately. Hartmeyer says he showed up at around 10:00 like the other two, but was only admitted in near 11:30. What is problematic is that Hartmeyer claims that he saw both Wren and Arnold go in and out. If everyone met Snell only once, this would suggest that only Hartmeyer, as the last person to meet Snell, could have killed him, as @Karifean said.

However, with the Reds given, is it possible for Hartmeyer to be the murderer, either? After all, we know that…

Dr. Snell was murdered between 11:50 AM and 12:00 noon of June 19, 19XX, as told in the narrative; this will be referred to as “high noon” in subsequent Reds.

No one else existed inside the living room during the period from the beginning of high noon till the camera infallibly saw Dr. Snell dead, with the arrow piercing his heart!

The arrow did not pierce or touch Dr. Snell’s skin before high noon! This includes fringe cases of strange contraptions or mechanics that would allow the arrow to take an inordinate amount of time to actually hit him after being set in motion. The arrow both was initially set in motion and pierced his skin at high noon!

The cameras confirm that everyone had left the room by 11:45, which makes it impossible for anyone to have been in the room as Snell was murdered. If we discount the possibility that Snell was stabbed with the arrow outside his living room and then somehow thrown into the room through the door, which sounds ridiculous, the only way Hartmeyer could’ve killed him is by shooting him through the front door. Without Snell opening the door to the roof, he couldn’t have gotten there to shoot him through the window. I suppose that none of the red truths directly deny the possibility that Hartmeyer shot Snell dead through the front door to his living room, but one would assume that if he did so, the cameras would’ve picked up something incriminating, even if the front door was not directly watched. If he had a bow, he would’ve had to carry it with him when he left the compound, for example.

It’s getting a bit late, and I have an early morning tomorrow, so I’ll stop here and continue discussing this tomorrow. One final thought before I call it a day - Snell’s inner sanctum contained more rooms than only the living room. Is it possible that Wren (or Arnold) entered the living room, but never “met” Snell?

Well, I’m back to make this post even more long-winded than it already is.

First, let’s discuss some of Karifean’s points. When it comes to the different impressions Dr. Arnold and Hartmeyer have of Snell, namely that Arnold speaks of him as an irreligious man and Hartmeyer brings up how they met through church activities, I believe this could be explained by Snell taking Arnold as his personal doctor only after his injury in Egypt, which according to Hartmeyer made him bitter and angry. Perhaps it was this injury that also made Snell’s attitude towards religion more dismissive? If that is the case, and Snell hired Arnold only after the incident, then it would make sense that Arnold would speak of him as an irreligious man whereas Hartmeyer, who has known him for years, would speak of how Snell knew his religion and such.

This conclusion also has the side-effect of making Arnold less likely to be an accomplice to any murder plan concocted by Snell, since Snell had started working on his revenge plan likely around the same time he hired Dr. Arnold. Would he have chosen some doctor he had only recently met as an accomplice when he started the whole glass pane charade? And would he have started an endeavour that lasts months before having a clear picture on what exactly he is going to do when the trap is sprung? It is still possible that Snell adapted Arnold into his plan after getting to know him better, but I consider this unlikely.

Regarding religion as a motivation for Hartmeyer to murder Snell… It sounds plausible, but there’s something about it that makes me wary about that theory. Perhaps it is that it doesn’t seem to mesh well with the theory that Snell orchestrated the appearance of the letters of light himself. I can’t think of a good reason why someone who would’ve murdered Snell would’ve given a testimony that says Snell had some revenge plan going on that was apparently coming to fruition. Regardless of whether the testimony was true, it seems like it’d only complicate things for the murderer and make the police investigate the affair in more detail. Hartmeyer’s testimony about his meeting with Snell feels reliable, since it fits together with someone moving the glass pane every day for months and there seems to be little reason for him to lie about something like that. If Snell indeed was planning to take revenge on someone, if Hartmeyer’s motive isn’t related to that, then the whole thing becomes a large red herring, which doesn’t feel right. If Hartmeyer’s motive was related to Snell’s revenge plan, why would he inform the police of something that was key component of his reason to murder the man? Unless my theory about Snell planning to take revenge on someone is completely wrong, this just doesn’t seem to add up.

I think the reason why Snell’s stronghold is so fortified is either that he was afraid of being attacked, or he wanted to create a place where he could perform an impossible murder. If he was afraid of being attacked, I don’t believe it is Hartmeyer he was afraid of - rather, I believe it was professor Wren who he was wary of. During his time in Egypt, he suffered a major injury that left him with chronic back pains and made him bitter and angry. What could this injury have been? It is perfectly plausible that it could’ve been some random accident, but wouldn’t his reaction - bitterness, security consciousness - make more sense if someone caused this injury to him deliberately, and he knew of it? Furthermore, if he had some reason to hate professor Wren enough to plot his murder… it paints a rather clear picture of what could’ve happened in Egypt years ago.

My perception of this case is heavily based around my theory that Snell was planning to murder Wren. There seems to be so much that supports that view - the murder weapon, the glass pane charade, the letters being a curse for a man to die in a fire that forever burns, Hartmeyer’s testimony… Even professor Wren’s testimony seems to me like the most suspicious of all. The others gave information freely and went into detail about their thoughts on Snell, whereas Wren was basically like “Went there, left immediately, nothing happened. Can I go now?”. My theory seems to tie everything neatly together… except that Hartmeyer testified that Wren was called into Snell’s living room, and it has been confirmed in red each suspect met Snell only once.

I put forth the idea that Wren could’ve entered the living room but still have not met Snell, as it could’ve been possible that Snell was in a different room in the inner complex for all the time Wren was inside the living room. However, this seems to make little sense - if Snell didn’t want to see Wren face to face, why would he have called him in in the first place? One reason I can think of is that Snell was afraid that if he didn’t call Wren in, Wren would get suspicious and leave and his murder plan would go to waste. Yet, he didn’t trust he could stay composed when faced with the man he hated enough to kill, and as such arranged it that he was, for example, in the restroom during his “meeting” with Wren. I shall state this in Blue: Wren entered the living room, but Snell was elsewhere in his inner complex during this time, meaning that they never met by the definition given in the Red that stated everyone met Snell only once.

This does seem like a bit of a stretch, but should my previous blues have been correct, it would be understandable if our witch was feeling rather cornered, and stretched the limits of plausibility a little to find some way to defend the illusion of magic. This whole “everyone met Snell only once” -thing may not have been a part of the original plan, but a diversion thought up on the spot to confuse the detective.

There is one other explanation, which is less likely than the blue above - Hartmeyer was mistaken, and Wren never entered the living room. Perhaps someone else entered when professor Wren was called in, with Hartmeyer mistaking this person for Wren, as he hadn’t met Wren before. But I don’t believe this is reasonable. Snell would likely have been less confident about the upcoming fruition of his long game if he hadn’t met Wren at all and someone else barged into his room when Wren was supposed to be coming. It is more likely that he did meet Wren and confirm that Wren would study the letters of light when they appear, which gave him a reason to be so certain of his plan’s success.

…And that would be more or less all I have to say about the case for now. If anyone actually bothered to read through all of my lengthy rambling, you have my appreciation.

4 Likes

Where is @ghagler anyway? It’s been almost two weeks since their last post on this game board.

@ghagler? Are you alive?

I am alive!

It’s been a rather hectic few weeks, with moving and preparations for (and the beginning of) Lent. Quite an important time, given my choice of career. My apologies for the wait; I’ll also admit I was a bit discouraged in my mystery writing (including this as a corollary), but am hopefully back for a while yet!

So let us continue this Game.

First, to the theories of @midsummer (who really deserves a great deal of credit for all their work thus far):

But who? Who is this victim-become-murderer?

Dr. Snell was not killed by someone he intended to kill!

Wren met Dr. Snell in the living room on June 19th! Of that, there is no doubt! They both existed in the living room at the same time and met and spoke face to face!

@Antra

Dr. Snell had no accomplice or ally for any kind of plan, malevolent or otherwise. He never opened the roof door with the intent of allowing someone else inside!

@Karifean

cacklecackle

Glad to have you back, @ghagler. I didn’t mind the wait - hosting a mystery on some random website is generous charity that you absolutely have the right to continue at your own pace when you feel like it.

Anyhow, onto the theorycrafting.

This complicates things a little. I’m still pretty confident that Snell did intend to kill Wren, and combined with your guarantee that Wren met Snell in the living room, this seems to make Wren being the culprit quite unlikely. However, Wren not being the killer does not shatter my theory. It could be that someone other than Wren intercepted Snell’s murder plan.

My first idea was that either Arnold or Hartmeyer entered the roof as Snell was preparing to murder Wren. Snell, realizing that his murder plan would be foiled if he was witnessed on the roof with a bow, attacked the intruder, and the intruder killed Snell in self-defense. However, a previous red truths stating “his murderer laughed in glee” and “Dr. Snell was murdered by the direct action of a separate, distinct human being who knew what they were doing!” seem to suggest it was not a case of self-defense. Self-defense can’t be completely ruled out, however - it could be that they laughed because they thought the police wouldn’t find out they were the killer because of the convenient circumstances of Snell’s death. They could’ve intentionally used lethal force in self-defense if Snell attacked them with lethal force.

I suppose it could also be a case of an opportunistic murder. The killer could’ve followed Snell onto the roof and killed him there because he saw an opportunity and chose to take it. They had some motive to kill Snell, and were waiting for a good chance to act on it. Perhaps they realized what Snell was planning, using logic similar to my own (except with less evidence), and decided to hijack his murder plan to kill Snell instead.

Anyway, all that is secondary for now. The main issue is still the issue of everyone having met Snell only once. However, upon rereading everyone’s testimonies, I realized that Hartmeyer’s testimony is not necessarily a confirmation of Arnold entering Snell’s living room. Snell, in his own testimony, states that when he left Snell’s living room, he “went straight out the door; didn’t bother to stop by the waiting room again”. This implies that the waiting room is not directly connected to the living room, but rather in a location separated by a corridor or somesuch. Hartmeyer testified that he saw “his associate, Dr. Wren, and his personal doctor go in and out” as he was waiting, but if he was in the waiting room, this only means he saw the two men leave the waiting room, instead of directly seeing them enter or leave the living room. As such, Hartmeyer’s testimony can’t be considered reliable evidence that Arnold actually ever entered Snell’s living room. Also, the same logic I used on professor Wren possibly not having met Dr. Snell even though he did enter the living room can be applied to any of the two other suspects.

Naturally, as @Karifean pointed out before, there’s no reliable testimony of Hartmeyer ever entering the living room, either. Hartmeyer should not be dismissed as a suspect, but I still would find it odd for Hartmeyer to say the things he said if he was the killer, so I’m more inclined to suspect Dr. Arnold. All this can be combined under a single blue:

Dr. Snell entered the roof with a bow and an arrow before high noon. Either Arnold or Hartmeyer entered the roof through the door, which was left open. Since they had never met Snell before in his living room, this was their first meeting that day. The killer stabbed Snell with the arrow Snell brought onto the roof, and Snell fell down into his living room, dying. The killer disposed of the bow by throwing it off the roof, or otherwise smuggling it out of the compound.

That blue seems solid enough, but it doesn’t account for the glass pane being shattered on top of Dr. Snell’s corpse. It could be that the killer just decided to drop it down the window for whatever reason, but it could be that there’s something more to that. Oh well, I don’t have the time to examine that in more detail right now, so I’ll leave the blue as it is.

1 Like

At this point, the remaining details are too easily guessed to argue over. In short: you are correct! Congratulations @midsummer! A pity you missed the previous Gameboard!

Snell did indeed intend to kill Wren; after Snell invited Wren to his room that morning near 11-ish, Snell left Wren there, heading up to the roof with some prepared excuse. However, Hartmeyer had learned of the plot several days previous and intended to strike down Snell; to that point, he had collaborated with Wren, who also wanted Snell dead (they were rivals in Egypt and caused “accidents” for each other), before the day began. Wren up and left by high noon, while Hartmeyer snuck onto the roof behind Snell and impaled him with the arrow, thereafter retrieving and shattering the glass to make it look like the arrow pierced it in flight before hitting and killing Snell. They then snuck out and made up their testimonies. Even though they were accomplices, they held no love for each other, so they felt perfectly justified in being plenty accusatory towards each other, especially in order to keep in line with their public images: that of an impatient, busy professor (who really did want to get out of there ASAP) and a concerned, religious general (who ironically really hoped the public and police would buy into the superstition and get tied up in the locked room murder).

Once more, well done to all who participated! I’d give prizes, but I have none. alas

4 Likes

It’s wonderful to see such a satisfying ending for such a well carved board. Are you going to participate in my new game once it starts @ghagler?

1 Like

And so, the truth has come to light.

I’m really happy I got to participate on this gameboard - tackling this mystery was just as fun as I’d expect it to be. And it was a worthy mystery indeed. I especially appreciate how it added a component of orthodox mystery into the mix instead of being a pure clash of Red like your previous gameboard. While those are fun as well, having a proper narrative with clues to base one’s theories around provides more material to sink one’s teeth into, making the experience that much richer. I’d imagine crafting such a mystery takes quite an amount of effort. You really have my gratitude for providing such quality entertainment for the people of this forum.

I hope to see a third mystery of yours in this forum one day. Should such a delightful day come, chances are I’ll be there, ready to cross swords with you again.

1 Like

Hopefully, I’ll actually revise this silly little mystery novel of mine to where I can publish it, haha. I’d love to engage everyone in a true mystery story; I’m quite proud of it. Which will probably be my undoing! :cackle::cackle::cackle:

I will consider it! I haven’t really played around in many others’ Gameboards, have I? Perhaps that needs to change.