The Mystery of the Island Mansion

Whaaaaat?! I’ll admit I gave the poor fools rather insulting names, but they aren’t that dumb! Eheheheh - silly Battler! The body absolutely looked mangled! Objectively, without any room for doubt, easily observed by each of the eight watching (B, C, D, E, F, G, H, and I), the body before them appeared to be dead and not at all healthy!

1 Like

Forgive me for intruding, but there was something I wanted to confirm.

Is it possible that B through I entered A’s room and witnessed what they believed to be A’s mangled corpse at some time other than 12:30?

It would be very disappointing if you were misusing the red by referring to an event at a different time. Maybe when they first saw A, he truly was alive, but at some unspecified point in the future, he was found dead. I’ll keep it simple.

B through I entered A’s room more than once. If you can’t deny that, then it opens up all sorts of loopholes.

2 Likes

B through I entered the master suite exactly once during this Game - at the point mentioned during the narrative. At no other point did any of B through I exist in the master suite.

The Witch of the Endless Magic makes no mistakes! Why continue questioning when your fate has already been decided? cackle cackle

1 Like

So I was saying on Discord, that I feel like it might be time to bring this Gameboard to the stage of a final showdown.

Why don’t we make a live event of it? Get a few challengers + ghagler on Discord, hop on Umineko Online, and livestream our final showdown against ghagler’s mystery for a few hours. Could be really fun, and would be a great way to kind of, end this game with a bang. What do you think about us using UO for this purpose, @LTexLT?

Shotgun Will.

@ghagler @Karifean

1 Like

I’m down. It’ll depend on the other two, and it would suck if it ended with no one solving it (or the solution seeming sub-par), but at least there could be a lot of discussion; maybe drag some others into it from the previous Tea Parties or Gameboards.

I’m perfectly fine with that. I haven’t been around much due to school and insomnia kicking in at the same time.

I usually prefer to take my time theorizing, but if we can find a time I guess that’d be a good way to tackle it. Just don’t expect much from me ^^;

I wonder if we could organise it to be as spoiler-free as possible, so newcomers can join in too… Think it’s do-able?

@ghagler for the gameboard itself, @LTexLT for the UO software. I need both perspectives.

It’d be easily doable, you’d just have to put the mystery on a google doc, pastebin, textup or anything similar and share it to those who want to join.

Well I was planning on re-enacting the mystery up to this point in character, so it would look nice on Stream.

That doesn’t really answer my question though. I’m concerned that the Umineko Online software, or its users, may potentially spoil stuff for people tuning in.

If you mean spoilers for Umineko, the whole Gameboard spoils how the battles in Episode 2 go and some minor atmospheric things (the existence of certain sprites in UO, the Red, the logic battles, etc.) That’s not really possible to avoid, though the Steam page for Umineko spoils almost all of that in their screenshots anyway; it likely doesn’t detract much from the overall experience. So the Gameboard itself shouldn’t spoil much more than that.

Indeed. Some spoilers could be hard to avoid, like (post question arcs spoilers:) the golden truth or purple statement that appears on the UI.

Oh that would be an issue :confused:

Was this tackled in the last 2 months? I mean, if so, I would very much like to hear the answer but if not, maybe we can continue tackling this?

1 Like

It was not. The challenge is still up.

Okay… It has been years since our beloved B through I saw A right? So here is my theory!

The person in the master suite is NOT A! A was never on the island to begin with! Let’s call the person in the master suite X. The others think he is A because they haven’t seen him in a long time and when you look at it, the corpse is mangled. So because he is not A, he can slip through all the red truth cracks involving A. After the others left the room, X simply unlocked the room from the inside, and proceeded to kill C and D by getting them to open the door. He was even in the room when the other four discovered the bodies! Then he went and killed E and F.

I hope I didn’t contradict any red :stuck_out_tongue: That would be such a bad first impression. :smiley:

3 Likes

…you got the twist right on your first guess! I won’t question you on the small details; a gentleman knows when he’s been beat. There were a few minor Red you didn’t explain, but an explanation’s easy enough to guess, given the solution you have. Congratulations!

Given that the original story didn’t have things like “personal characters” and “motive,” there’s not much to speculate on why the murders happened. To put it simply, ‘A’ lured them there to kill them. The mangled corpse was actually a disguised killer, and ‘A’ talked to them over the phone to convince them he was there; hence the “faint voice from deep in the suite.” From there, it’s as you said, basically. All the Red Truth was preventing ‘A’ from doing anything, and the initial Red Truth was ambiguous enough to support, but not confirm, the assumption that it was ‘A’ in the master suite.

1 Like

I thought it was our disguised killer faking A’s voice. :stuck_out_tongue:

While I can see where Rabla is coming from with his first post, I have to say that, the red wall of text is what gave me courage. And what actually tipped me off. That and Karifean asking you to repeat “A was not anywhere outside the master suite during the game.” and you skillfully adding an on the island. :stuck_out_tongue:

This was a very outside the box solution though kind sir, a solution I’ve had to wrack my brain with a lot. Thank you for this amazing gameboard, and if you have any others, I am sure me and the rest of the community would like to tackle them!

1 Like

Hah, well done. It never really occurred to me that just every line about A could potentially be a lie just based on the idea that A wasn’t actually there. That’s a really fun solution.

Having this open mystery available and on people’s minds over the last few months has been cool, maybe someone should write up another long-term mystery for us to challenge now that Wonderlander has dominated this one?

3 Likes

I was really hoping to challenge this on a livestream event too ><

Guess we need a new gameboard to play with.