To anyone who followed Umineko as it released... (Full Series Spoilers)

YES OMG. I remember marten/Schroedinger so much, like all her art was shared like wildfire!! I’m pretty sure I have like a file folder from 2010 just full of her Umineko meme art. I literally always think about the personality meme whenever someone talks about Sayo, lol

Also I watch How Battler Stole Witchmas every …Christmas Witchmas with my friends, lol it’s like a time honored tradition from back in the days.

I didn’t go on myanimelist so much sadly, but BEST MOM EVER and Mom of the Year was definitely Rosa’s titles for a long time.

6 Likes

God, this video still is such a great gem even after so long, what an absolute classic hahaha <3

For the anime we also had the DameDame subs mocking everything they could from the whole fandom with fake subs for the anime (too bad they stopped at Episode 10).

Not sure if I can link a download folder of it in here (don’t quite remember if there are any rules against this), but here it is:
DameDame Umineko

5 Likes

My experience with any community interaction was with a few Steam groups back around 2011-2012. I knew that it was pretty big on 4chan back then too. What was most curious back then was that the English version of the manga had 1-3 published I think, and by some odd miracle (heh), my high school was stocked with every volume and I had gotten to get more enthralled with it. The PS3 patch came out by then but it was really cool to first get to see the amazing manga illustrations of some of the Question arcs before getting the voice acting and music. Rosatrice was a hot topic back then but I was much too focused on becoming a living Super Saiyan instead of trying to debate an 8-hour video like that guy back then made lmao. Nowadays, not too sure how much theorizing there is, but I don’t think it’s as fervent as it was back even five years ago; Umineko was even considered pretty old by that point too. Hopefully people still debate whether Lion has a dong or not till the end of time.

6 Likes

Eh, the 2010-2012 period was crazy, though it kinda got bad toward the end, especially when it came to theorizing stuff, it started to become a contest on how much you could twist the red to make it fit your theory. The period immediately after Ep. 6’s release was also awful, for what I remember, I think the fandom peaked with Ep.5 overall.

I always wonder if a new WTC would be able to recreate it, or Umineko was lighting in a bottle.

Yeah, Rosatrice was created because some people couldn’t accept/disliked the solution so yeah, it only took the current form after EP8. Before that it was just one of the many theories, like Moon-chan or Kanzo.

These days it’s basically Umineko’s equivalent of “Squall was dead” or the “Indoctrination Theory”.

5 Likes

I remember hearing that a certain red truth concerning either Nanjo or Gohda (I forget) completely destroyed the Rosatrice theory, and the KnowNoMore dude refused to acknowledge it. I could be remembering completely incorrectly but does anyone remember what it was? If it was a thing that is.

1 Like

Oh and lets not forget the Batman!Eva fanart right after EP7 released. Oh man.

2 Likes

How did I miss this thread omg!

Aside for @danpmss kind of summerizing the big parts of how it was, I will try to think of some more stuff that were spicy and interesting!

I joined this fandom around the time EP5’s translation came out. The little time before every episode was released was precious, because we always recieved the portrait of that episode, the title, and eventually fake screenshots started flowing in and you had to guess whether it’s real or not. It was part of the fun, until the part where you had to wait 5-6 months for translation, escaping the spoilers as much as you can.

Few things I remember really well from that time:

• When Erika’s portrait was out, people started guessing maybe it’s Asumu, Asumu’s Battler, or anything else. Bonus point: people once started theorizing Erika is Maria’s rose I shit you not.

• When recieving screenshots of Zepar and Furfur, and later on Clair, Bice and young Kinzo, people were SURE it’s fake, we were shocked when it wasn’t LOL

• When EP7 portrait came out the art-tags of Will and Lion on Pixiv were “Cliff-san” and “Itomimizu” (some kind of a red worm because of the red streak he has). People got it pretty fast.

One of the best parts though, were reading and taking part in theories. By the time of the end of EP6 I was still SOOOO anti Shkanon. I actually worked really hard to explain how it can be possible without it by then.

Aside for Moon-chan and Shkanontrice danpmss mentioned, I remember a theory I liked called “Fusiontrice” (where Shannon and Kanon are seperate but both play Beatrice’s role, it was brilliant, I can search it!), or crack theories like “Gohda poisoned everyone” and “Teatrice” or “Kawabata did it, he murders them, and then goes back to the boat so he’s not counted on the island”, or “Asumu is alive and killed Kyrie”. Honestly, sometimes the line between crack theories and real theories was so thin because people put so much effort in it.
The “Pony theory, I want to believe” and the amount of memes running all the time were amazing. I actually still have exclusive Schroedinger comics and art he posted on theards in 4chan and never posted on his Deviantart.

In general, while reading passively on Animesuki, I think the best threads I enjoyed taking part in were in /jp/ on 4chan. I still can’t believe to this day that people solved the Epitaph after EP5 (they realized Kinzo’s hometown is Taiwan because someone mentioned a food he likes from Taiwan for like ONE TIME). It was crazy, when I read the solution in EP7 I was like “HOLY SHIT they were right!!!” (Also nick named “Taiwan theory”)

I also had tons of theories myself, revised theories I could argue about, and meeting people through this fandom was my favorite thing. Some of my best friends to this day are people I met through this fandom. There WAS a lot of toxic, sure, but Umineko isn’t something anyone can read. It’s long and requires something from you, so there WAS some kind of a filter on people. The good side of the fandom was totally worth it.

By the time EP8 came out I already had solid theories and pretty much every time someone was exposed it was me yelling “I FUCKING CALLED IT” out loud. I think I was most proud about the fact there were blank bullets in Prime Yasu mixed up and played “Russian roullette”. I can still find somewhere on Tumblr I wrote it back in 2011 and I never read it anywhere else, so I was super proud I reached it myself.

There was a lot of hate too. Hating on Shkanontrice confirmed, hating on the gender issue, a lot of Yasutrice VS Rosatrice at some point (mainly 2013~ I think), and a lot a lot more. But even with all the shit going around, I was just so happy the fandom is still alive. One of the reasons this forum makes me so happy is because it gives me a feeling of a bit of the “simulator” it was back then. Sure, the fandom is less lively than it was before, but people “keep” Umineko with them. Not long ago I opened a thread in 4chan about Umineko and it was like watching everyone reviving back to comment, it was charming.

10 Likes

I remember people thought Erika was another ally for Battler! All those fanart showing her a moe girl being all soft and then we finally see her and everything just broke.

4 Likes

When I said above that it was knowledged that Shkannon was the canon, I didn’t quite entered in detail describing the pure chaos and denial 4chan became from EP6 and above (even if everything only exploded for good just after the release of EP8).

Say that everybody was like “ok, that’s the solution, the end” it’s a bit too naive of a description haha

After all, there was an actual war in there and nobody let anyone confirm anything until the manga came by and explicitly pointed the shit out of Shkannon (even though everything was in the VN, but welp).

6 Likes

I assume that Ryukishi not explaining the ‘howdunnits’ in as much detail as people expected wasn’t very well received.

2 Likes

Eh, this sounds very similar to my experience, down to reading Animesuki and taking part of /jp/ (and /a/, Umineko was everywhere) threads and being anti-Shkanontrice when Ep. 6 came out lol.

I actually have some /jp/ Umineko threads from 2010 bookmarked, Episode 7 reactions to Yasu were… quite something.

Yeah, though Episode 8 got most of the hate rather than Episode 7, because people were expecting it to clear the issue people had with 7’s answers.

6 Likes

Now I want to see it LOL. I had some bookmarked in my old computer but I lost everything. I remember the threads moved between long, deep discussions to "Lion has a penis right guys?"
I loved the threads in 4chan, I think the fact it was anonymous and people could say whatever they wanted kind of helped it a lot if you ask me!

In general, the reaction to “Pony theory” were quite something in general, only when going beyond the “Battler didn’t bring her a pony” to an actual deep problems Yasu had with herself, you receive the real depth of the character.

I think everything exploded big time after EP6 and and even more after EP7. Usually it took 5-6 months to translate, but between EP7 and EP8 we had a whole year, and that meant a LOT of shit going around, and a lot of hate based on small details that leaked out and so.

1 Like

Man, I wish I was in the fandom at the time…sounds like an exciting period, haha.

1 Like

It was fun staying up and seeing what spoilers came out during comiket releases. xD

2 Likes

Let’s all not forget some other gems from 4chan:

The fake spoilers for Chiru in general (ever since the release of EP5. The mass paranoia and confusing theory crafting were crazy (inb4 the culprit was Whitekastel all along).

3 Likes

I just checked the source I used back then for everything and all the photos were deleted because the site used was erased, but I found few I had saved by chance(I editted and added more once I found though) -

f3fe6957d54ca5dc5d366dc
The famous Rosatrice edit

Fake young Ange screenshot from EP7!

trollface
EP6 ending

7 Likes

I’d love to check out the reactions during the time episode 6 was released, or any other time lol.

Any links? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am curious to this as well.

1 Like

That Shannon picture is beyond fantastic. Hope we all survive for WTC5 so we can witness the memes.

1 Like

Warning: Not for weak of mind, also will probably have some Higurashi spoilers.

The best I can give you is episode 7 live reaction thread:

These are post episode 7 threads, probably the most interesting of the bunch:

These should be a post episode 8 threads:

1 Like