Umineko Anime - North American BDs are now Out Of Print

The NIS America release of the Umineko anime is now out of print. Many of us have complicated feelings regarding the anime, but now is your last chance to buy it for a reasonable price. I actually recommend it to big Umineko fans- regardless of the quality of the show itself, NISA’s releases are of commendable quality. Each volume comes with a detailed guidebook, and the localization, while easily the loosest Umineko translation, is also one of the most artful, featuring a beautiful version of the epitaph and some very poetic interpretations of the Red Truth.

Maybe the license for this show will one day be bought by Sentai Filmworks or another company (though I doubt it), but for now this is the only way to legally watch Umineko in America. If you ever wanted to own the series, I’d get on that now.

1 Like

Damn, this is sad news. I’ll see about getting an article up for this.

To be fair, I’d only assumed that NISA’s license expired. It’s possible that it hasn’t, and they’ll release a Standard Edition of the series or something. That said, I don’t think Umineko sold especially well, so I kind of doubt they’d drop a standard version five years after their initial release.

I am going to continue to play chicken with the NISA release. I want to own this anime, I do, and I don’t want to pay inflated prices, but I also always feel like I should spend my money on something I’m not half ashamed of.

2 Likes

Hmmm might purchase it sometime… Maybe. Depends if I see it at a con or Kinokuniya again.