Umineko Episode 3 Full Series Spoilers General

Spoilers discussion topic for Episode 3: Banquet of the Golden Witch of Umineko When They Cry. Episode 3 refers to volumes 5 and 6 of the manga, and episodes 12-18 of the anime series.

This topic is intended for people who have finished the entirety of Umineko and wish to discuss this Episode in light of future events. For those who have yet to finish Umineko in its entirety, please tread carefully, because there will be untagged spoilers! Please tag references to outside works with the [spoiler] tag, with adequate context provided in parenthesis.

For those who have yet to finish the series and wish to discuss the story up to this point, please visit our Spoiler-Free discussion topic.

While this topic will serve as a general hub for discussion of the Episode, if a conversation ends up flowing in a certain direction, don’t be afraid to continue it in your own topic! Keep the “reply as linked topic” button beside each post in mind.

Being Eva in this episode is suffering. Just think about how the third series of murders must’ve freaked her out. You have a shootout with Rudolf and Kyrie with Hideyoshi ending up wounded and run off to get “help” only to come back and find Hideyoshi dead and all three corpses having been staked. I think at that point I would start seriously considering if I’d gone insane at some point.

I kinda wish I had a better theory about why she kills Krauss and Natsuhi besides just essentially her paranoia taking over though. Anybody else have any insight on that?

I kinda want to go with the Goats Re-Reading Seacats theory (instead of what’s shown in the Confession chapter) and I believe that Sayo was the one who killed Natsuhi and Krauss, since they were her accomplices, and as she was leaving the house, George spotted her, leading to where she pretends to be Shannon for his sake (and then kills him).

Because like you said, there’s no good reason for Eva to kill them even with paranoia (even the magic narrative doesn’t have Eva/EVA having any real resentment towards Krauss when he’s killed, and with Eva’s backstory and hatred for Krauss getting the headship just for being older and a man, you would think his corpse would get played with in the fantasy narrative. Seriously, Tea Party EP2 Beato is much more cruel to Krauss than EVA is when she kills him).

So, EP3 has two killers, according to this theory: Eva, who’s paranoid, and Sayo, who wants to do it according to the epitaph (since she doesn’t find out somebody had solved it until the door message). Based on this, Sayo’s killings are: the First Twilight, staking Rudolf, Kyrie, and Hideyoshi, Natsuhi and Krauss, George, and Nanjo. (Possibly Maria, since in the magic narrative, Maria’s death is seen as a merciful killing and why would Eva give Maria a merciful death). Then Eva has the rest of the deaths: Rosa, possibly Maria (but I’m leaning more towards Sayo mercy killing her after Eva accidentally kills Rosa and runs off out of fear and Sayo feeling sorry that her roulette chose her dearest accomplice), being a cause for the Hidyoshi/Rudolf/Kyrie death (and maybe having killed one of them after one of them shot her husband?), Jessica and “Kanon”, and then Battler.

It’s really no wonder Eva went off the deep end, how Eva even was deemed capable of raising Ange after that is a surprise (then again, Japan with its MENTAL ILLNESS THAT DOESN’T EXIST YOU SILLY GO CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY YOU USELESS PERSON mentality, they probably were like eh, go ahead, raise her).

I like the Yasu-killed-them theory more myself especially since it’s easy to lure accomplices out for some poisoned tea in the arbor while for Eva on the other hand… wouldn’t it be strange for K&N if Eva wasn’t intimidated and paranoid to a degree? But try as I might, I cannot reasonably spin Will’s hint in such a fashion that it points towards it being Yasu, not Eva.

Yeah, and by that point, it would have been particularly hard for Eva to not show her paranoia and I doubt they would have trusted her to make them tea, even if Krauss wanted to atone with his siblings. That years of wanting to stab each other in the back doesn’t go away that easily. Plus, it seems to be a lot more of Yasu’s style in that game, since after K & N were gone, she only had one accomplice left (since the rest before that were victims of the First Twilight). She just wants Battler to solve this mystery and his paranoid aunt going around isn’t helping her much. (There’s even a cute little comic on the Goats Re-Reading Seacats where you have Yasu being like “Okay, let’s do a proper killing” and then walks in and sees Kyrie, Rudolf and Hideyoshi dead and is like “FFS, people, can I please follow the epitaph”).

I forget exactly what it is that Will’s solution was. I know with his one for Nanjo (and the Red Text Webs) it’s easy for Yasu to slip in since her roles of Kanon and Shannon were killed and can thus exist without being them and be a witch, but maybe there’s a way we can work it around it?

I’m pretty certain Will solution to this twilight was that Eva killed them. It was “Earth to Earth. The obvious culprit wields a mutable blade” in the visual novel and in the manga he says pretty clearly that she strangled them in the room and then brought them outside. Of course, Will could be wrong and there’s nothing contradicting a different solution.

I mean, even though Eva could possibly already had the gold and thus become the head of the family, but the paranoia is still justified since Krauss is the supposed heir of the family fortune, and besides, he tends to be manipulative, so I would be pretty scared of him stealing my gold. And killing Natsuhi also helps on keeping any fingers away from her, so she can delay anyone starting to point fingers at someone.

I don’t know, just, to me, Eva being the obvious culprit for killing K & N is really so stupid and way too glaringly obvious and I just think that it’s such a lazy explanation (even if it is the right answer). Like, even somebody that paranoid shouldn’t have chosen such an obvious target, since the narrative built up how much Eva wanted the headship, hated Krauss as well as Natsuhi, and how paranoid Eva was at losing it all, that it would have been way too obvious that Eva murdered them. If she was that paranoid as we’re led to believe, killing an obvious target would lead to more suspicion on her and more paranoia, and it’d be a stupid thing to do. Which is why I like the idea of Sayo having done it and then accidentally catching George’s eye as she leaves, leading to his murder (and the whole fantasy scene for that part with George would be better that way).

I definitely prefer this idea, as it helps make Eva righteously paranoid and questioning WHO THE HECK DID I KILL I CAN’T KEEP TRACK ANYMORE and it can add to Sayo feeling remorse and taking care of her loved ones before they die which contributes to making her more humanized and less monstrous like the way she portrays herself in her stories. But similarly as to how I have ideas that could have made Dangan Ronpa 3 a lot better written, my theories can’t be confirmed in canon, so I can only entertain this theory.

I think worrying about correct character interpretation is wasted.

remember that these are all games designed by either yasu or tohya, therefore there is a good chance they just dialed up the character to do the extreme when they personally might not have gone that far.

I thought the idea behind this episode was pretty interesting. Sayo and Eva acting independently really muddles up the solution, which makes it fun. They was always the possibility of things not going according to Sayo’s plan. I think that Tohya believed Eva to be the culprit when he wrote Banquet. He memory wasn’t fully restored yet.

2 Likes

My honest main question about EP3 is, who is Beatrice talking to in the beginning? Eva?

Even though I know that it’s a fantasy scene and that none of this actually happened, seeing Eva-Beatrice torture Rosa and revive her over and over again is still bone-chilling.

What scene are you talking about?

The scene where the vase is broken, and Beatrice revives it.

She’s speaking to Virgillia