Umineko: Golden Fantasia Released on Steam! (Answer Arc Spoilers)

For those just learning the basics, Mangagamer has released a beginners guide to equip new players with helpful knowledge! They’ve also prepared a discord for players to learn the ropes and play against each other!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://rokkenjima.org/umineko-golden-fantasia-released-steam-answer-arc-spoilers/

Can’t believe they didn’t add the Keyboard Config function. Kinda sucks for 20$

Was really hoping for a Keyboard Config too. I don’t have a JoyStick so I kind of need this to play the game (I can mostly play with keyboard, except I can’t enter the meta world). If anyone has a solution, that would be lovely. I tried VJoy but couldn’t get it to work.

Delicious quotes leading to new understandings

Do you need a controller to play it? I can’t even get passed the start screen with my keyboard.

Edit: Nvm, worked with my PS4-controller

I was thinking whether I want to buy it or not, but after reading they didn’t even translate everything until the end, such as the Command List ?? It’s the basics of making it playable for non-Japanese players. I have a physical copy of the Japanese one anyway.

I will either wait for it to have full translation, or have a really good, cheaper deal for all it looks.

Yeah I’m thinking about returning it for that reason alone. I’m bad at fighting games normally but if I can’t even read the Command List then I won’t even bother.

I think it has been mentioned in the forums or somesuch that some stuff like the command lists being untranslated is a bug that will be patched. Even if that was not the case, this is a useful resource that includes descriptions of character abilities and their moves. The command lists being untranslated is not as much of a problem as it might seem, anyway - the list does not include descriptions of what the special moves do, only their names and inputs. The directional inputs are shown as a picture so it isn’t something that needs translation. The attack buttons used are shown with kanji for light, medium and heavy attacks, but most special moves can be used with any of them with slightly different effects, so the only time them not being translated could be a problem is when a move requires only a specific button (or button combination), but finding out which button that is is not difficult as you can either cross-reference the kanji with the commands that use any of them, or simply try out the three options to find which one it is.

Oh, and I guess some moves require you to be airborne, so that’s another thing that you might miss if you can’t read any kanji, but you can always just try inputs while jumping if it doesn’t seem to work on ground. It’s a bit inconvenient, but not a huge issue, I think. Also worth knowing is that the upmost section is for moves that don’t cost any SP to use (though you can use SP to use a boosted version of them by pressing light and medium at the same time as your attack input), the lower section with one or two moves is for moves that cost SP to use, and the last item in the list is the metaworld super that you can only use if you have activated metaworld.

The only thing in the command lists that is a serious problem is the ability descriptions, but the link above includes a subpage “Abilities”, which explains the abilities of every character.

Quite frankly the game is awesome, but for people like me who already bought the Japanese version, they needed a little more for me to buy the game a third time. The new network stuff they added sounds good… but I don’t know how good it actually is. As for translation it is only the cross stuff I haven’t seen. 20 for just that seems a little much, and if I wanted to throw money at manga gamer there are other games I would do that with.

I’ll still think about it until the sale ends though.

I’ve been having quite a bit of fun with playing this game over the past day with one of my friends. My only real complaint is that the keyboard controls are pretty hard to use. I’ve been considering making some macros for myself just so I could more reliably use specials. I realize there is princess mode to make things easier but it just does not feel as rewarding using it.

Well, the first patch that localizes the soundtrack names and the command list has been released.

So that’s one problem less. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can agree with that but I was using the wiki site midsummer linked so that wasn’t too much of a problem. Well lets just hope I get used to it eventually and become able to do the Meta-Supers eventually.

I’ve had some difficulty doing the meta supers with keyboard, too. It’s the half circle motion that makes it difficult - when I used the input display option in training mode, my half circles were almost always registered as 4136, not 41236 (that is, it didn’t register there being an input directly down between the diagonal down-left and down-right inputs). When I noticed this, I started doing the motion by making it less fluid and more something like “press left, then press down, then press right” done in a quick motion. That made the game register the input more often, so maybe that’s something you could try, as well. Oh, and don’t forget the meta super starts with a forward input, so it’s more like “press right, press left, press down, press right”.

Yeah I have tried doing that but I’m also not sure exactly how much time I have to complete the motion. Whenever I slow it down it always seems to be too slow to actually be used. TBH I probably just need more practice.