Umineko Spoilers General

Still no idea what you’re talking about, so I will act like you’re trolling.

“See you again. Have a nice day.” :annoyed:

I don’t know about ALL THE passwords, but some at least. For the music I only know two titles.

Ok, no problem. I mainly wanted to share some discoveries with Narda anyways.

If you solved the passwords, do you know what does “1801440” mean because I wasn’t able to solve this one …
In Ep 1 there was the riddle of the bear hidden in the manga. (Chapter 2-3).
I saw that as a foreshadowing of the logic of EP 1 … pretty interesting
You know when Maria is poiting to the sky and says “bad luck” “bad luck”. This is already a hint.
What is your opinion on Will’s statement : it is possible to solve it with only the first four episodes as I quoted before.
This is the problem because I quoted a lot of issues with some logical interpretations directly linked with the text but no one was able to explain it. So I was just adding more and more issues to the conversation. (issues that are done on purpose of course, as always …).

Wow, ok, many smaller things at once. I don’t get everything you’re saying 1) 1801440? No sorry, I don’t know. As I said, I still have some questions …
2) No comment for the bear XD Seriously. I wouldn’t call it “riddle” though…
3) Will’s statement was kinda annoying because for the longest time it didn’t make sense. Until you have the right starting point that is. But it took me a while to puzzle the order of the events together. So yes, it is possible to solve it by the end of Episode 4, but that depends on the “level” you are on. For us, it’s possible, for the characters in the story not necessarily.
I dont’t think it makes sense to talk about too many things at once. There are things you have to talk about more extensively, and some other issues don’t make sense if you didn’t explain for example the riddles before. And you were, imo, avoiding some crucial parts (on purpose?) and started right in the middle.

Whats the argument here? Don’t the scene flashes at the end basically support your idea that the entire truth is not revealed?

What tale? You mean the pile of “facts” that were haphazardly sown together to check the answers?

She is the witch who gives puzzles. How can Ryukishi say anything beyond that and avoid logic errors?

[color=gold]Yasu is dead at the beginning of all games[/color]

I’m not really good at small details, so I’d appreciate a clue (EP/scene) but not your answer (so I can think about it too)

1 Like

This is a conversation I’d rather not step too deeply, but I just can’t get this one slip by. Yasu is, by process of deduction throughout the story, Sayo. In Episode 1, George calls Shannon by her real name, Sayo, this is what triggers the reader to understand that there is Shannon and Sayo, and thus solve all riddles presented to them with Sayo as the culprit, even if Shannon is dead. The use of the name Yasu in Episode 7 is nothing more than an artifice to cover the culprit’s identity, simply because Ryukishi wanted people to think about it instead of handing it over in a silver platter, which is almost what he did with the heavy amount clues leading to this theory all around the story. Also, Umineko emphasises in Episode 5 that truth is not something unique as many may think, but something mutable, directly dependant of the person who observes it, very much like quantum phenomena, and thus, Schrödinger’s cat.

Yasu is present since Episode 1, even if she isn’t referred to as such.

5 Likes

On the topic of Yasu’s presence in the question arcs, my two cents - it’s crucial to know that Shannon is, in many ways, just as much of a “character” of Yasu’s as Kanon and Beato are, even though she’s been around for the longest - she’s Yasu, but with certain “parts” of her personality “missing” (hence why Kanon is the one who gets angry at Natsuhi, Eva, Gohda, etc. in her place) - hence “Shannon is not the culprit.”

Shannon, Kanon, and Beato are separate people in their own right, that’s true, but they’re also parts of Yasu herself. Knox’s 1st and 10th - that the culprit be introduced early on, and that characters don’t disguise themselves as someone else - are both followed, as a result; Yasu is introduced “in parts” through the three of them, and while she does play the role of two (or three, as the board demands) separate people, she’s still “just one person” at the same time, if that makes sense.

Sayo Yasuda is very much present from the very beginning of the series - you just have to know how and where to look to find her. Even while she’s normally hidden behind her personas, the “real” Yasu slips through from time to time - “Please kill me quickly,” “I wish I’d never been born,” “Why am I unable to love anyone.” Even earlier than that, arguably - Kanon getting flustered around Battler in the rose garden and kitchen in Ep1, Shannon needling George about his eating habits in a way that we don’t normally see from her in Ep2, the prologue scene of Beato’s past in Ep3… She’s there the whole time. That’s part of what makes the series so rich to reread - once you know where to look, Yasu is hiding all over the place.

4 Likes

Ok ^^ That’s nice, because it took me really long to understand, so I don’t want to say too much :wink: Here is only one:
In Episode 8, Bern’s game starts with the sentence “An island isolated by the storm? You’ve got to be kidding me! This is way too convenient!” And it more or less ends with Shannon saying: “If you neatly cut it into a logic puzzle, it’s quite amusing.” Now you should check out Episode 8’s Halloween Party (VN), the riddle in Episode 6 with the cheese and the saving menu.

1 Like

Don’t forget to press ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A too, when you do that.

4 Likes

It took me a while to find where the story needs to be cut. Nice finding !
Btw Santa is here again …

I think I know what you mean;) btw, when you write “nice finding” etc. it sounds like you’re complimenting me and as if you were pretty much through with it ^^ can we compare a bit then? since we are already talking about it, i’d like to compare the different parts.

1 Like

@Maria Feel free to share, I am highly curious to see what you’ve discovered. :happy: :cackle: :ryukishi:

You know that what you’re saying here is a mere trick of a so called 3rd rated mystery. (if that can be even called a trick).
The logic explained in Ep 7 with Yasu, the names and the personalities has a name : this is called a “Deus ex Machina”

“The term has evolved to mean a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the inspired and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object. Its function can be to resolve an otherwise irresolvable plot situation, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or act as a comedic device.”

This is what Yasu’s story is. A completely unbelievable story of someone who knew everything before it would happen, wrote many stories of everything like god, sealed those in bottles the day just before and sent them into the sea while she was sure someone will find them … I mean this is just impossible 0% chance.
Or yes, this is possible but not in a mistery. You have KNOX, you have WRIGHT, the story is was inspired by AGATHA. And suddenly the true story turns to be like this : this is impossible.

• It starts with a baby falling from a cliff but even though you have 1/ 25 000 000 000 … chance that this person isn’t thrown (presented as the miracle)
    It is impossible regarding THE INFINITY to find a single world where the baby dies by falling (which should actually be the most believable/realistic outcome)

This is clearly not a mistery.

Should we speak about the name trick : let’s add more and more personalities to the first one so this person cannot die because she will instantly become someone else (another personality, another name, another identity).
But still they are all the same so the red applies to everyone … At this point you could just say that all the Ushiromyia family members are actually personalities of Yasu and everything is solved.

That would also completely discard the red truth as a clue because what your doing is just dodging every truths.
But as I said before : This is a Deus ex Machina by definition.

" The use of the name Yasu in Episode 7 is nothing more than an artifice to cover the culprit’s identity, simply because Ryukishi wanted people to think about it instead of handing it over in a silver platter"
So what’s the point to reveal yasu’s story so? We don’t need those things. A revelation at this point is useless because those are just additional hints.
Who would have thought about Beatrice 1st, the submarine, the story of Kinzo??? It is also impossible to fgure this out before even though “those are just additional hints”.

Don’t you see how Ep 7 is suspicious, because it’s just a tale without love? I’m sure you don’t see any issues at all that’s maybe the real problem …

1 Like

Just because you werent able to figure these things out doesnt mean its impossible for everyone else, because people certainly did come very close to most of the things revealed in ep7. And you have a complete lack of understanding what fiction is, you can easily reason out kinzos meeting with beatrice just with some knowledge of history, how old he is and the time the story takes place in. These are just fine details which are far from the actual mystery you are supposed to figure out, these are storyelements because umineko is first and foremost a story.
Thats nothing nowhere near what you think is a ‘deus ex machina’, thats simple story progression, a flashback for some more insight to those who are interested, which you should be this far into it.

You want to know what the point is to reveal yasus story in a still ever so subtle manner? because it is great to do so from a writing perspective, it keeps the reader engaged and goes with what the entire story has tried to tell you which completely seemed to have gotten over your head, to understand peoples hearts yourself.

The real problem here is you see Issues where there are none because you dont seem to have actually understood this work, and Im done now I cant read anymore of your nonsense or else I need to get my mental health checked

7 Likes

Beatrice 1st is really easy to figure out putting together the conversation about Kinzo’s mistress in Episode 1 and the scene in Episode 3 where Beatrice dies. From that it’s possible to figure out Kinzo had a baby with his mistress and yet another baby from the girl Rosa saw die.

There’s no need to figure out the submarine or where did the gold come from, this is a story, simply a background story unrelated to the solution.

Yasu isn’t a Deus Ex Machina, she’s nothing more than a character hidden within the story through a wordplay with the names Shannon and Kanon. And there are many hints that Shannon and Kanon aren’t actually “dead”:

1. In Episode 1, besides the lack of red text, it was perfectly possible to assume one of the corpses in the shed were fake, and Shannon’s corpse, which was the only one not observed by Battler, is the most suspicious.
  2. In Episode 2, Kanon’s corpse disappears from a closed room and his death is only stated in red text, he was dead but no corpse was found.
  3. In Episode 3, Shannon and Kanon are “resurrected” and that’s bound to be the most suspicious fact, because resurrection shouldn’t be possible, and the magical scenes aren’t there just as a waste of time, they exist to convey a message hidden behind “magic”.

This isn’t a 3rd rate trick, it was an extremely simple trick and many newcomers are getting it, they’re seeing through it in Episode 2 or 3, maybe you wasn’t able to find the clues while you were playing and that’s why you can’t understand the theory, but for those who saw through it from the beginning, this theory is the most logical one. It’s not flawless, but it’s clearly the solution that was meant to be reached.

I don’t know how familiar you are with Ryukishi’s writing, but parallel universes and different possibilities are a motif in his stories, Umineko isn’t supposed to be a cold, heartless mystery where you read for the sake of finding a culprit and solving all riddles. It is a story, made of fiction, for the sake of those who enjoy brain-teasers or simply want to read an interesting story.

And the red truth isn’t supposed to be a means of finding out the truth, it’s just a basis through which you can build theories while sure of the fact nothing that wasn’t described, stated, or investigated is true. It’s just for the sake of guaranteeing you have a closed room, instead of assuming it was a closed room when it wasn’t. The real clues are in the narrative, and not in the red text. After all, how many mysteries use such an artifice? That’s the reason this is a mystery, even if there are extremely improbable events it doesn’t disqualify the story as a mystery.

4 Likes

I have no idea what you’re trying to say with the baby. The others have addressed the fact that there were clues. I’ll address the thing that irk me the most about this whole thing.

You implied that Episode 7 does not present the truth (I think that’s what you’re saying anyway). I am unsure of what truth one could be getting out of it if one rejects the official answer, so I can only imagine you believe most of it to be falsehood. Without hearing your theory, it’s difficult to be sure one way or another, but I’ll have to assume that all the hints, clues and symbolism tied to Shkanontrice are falsehood and red herrings.

Here’s the thing. There’s red herrings and misdirection and then there’s just straight up wasting the reader’s time. To have such an intricate, intentional and directed web of lies that take up around half of the story only to misdirect readers from an answer that makes thematic sense and hide a true, logical answer is not just a third-rate story, it’s a third-rate farce.

Umineko is more than mystery. It’s more than shifting through illusions and clues to discover the culprit. It’s about a great many things, the most important of which (in my opinion) is understanding people.

I believe that to work for your own answer and challenge the official solution is not only admirable, it’s perfectly in the spirit of the story that Umineko is. But to reject one solution in favor of your own, to deny the truth of others because you cannot see the logic behind it, is the furthest one can get from what Umineko is trying to tell you.

This was a most beautiful magic. I’m sorry you can’t see it the way we do.

8 Likes

I went over this in EP8 and between when they are in the witch’s tea room talking about the lack of a Reader, the start of Bern’s mystery and the first intermission, I did not see these lines. Are you perhaps referring to another scene?

I don’t know if the first part is required to understand this next part, but since the Halloween party in the beginning is pretty long I don’t know what I’m supposed to be looking for (especially if its a small detail). If the riddle with cheese has do with this next part I’m missing, then it’s even harder to grasp.

On an unrelated note, rewatching the Halloween party scene brings a point of interest. Shannon comes to call Beatrice to Kinzo, right in front of Ange and Kinzo is witnessed by Ange.

1 Like

If what your getting at is, “the fact that Shannon and Kanon share one body is real, but the maid is not necessarily the culprit.” you aren’t conveying it very well.