Umineko - Virgilia Character Discussion (Full Series Spoilers)

Discussion topic for Virgilia, Beatrice’s predecessor as the Endless Witch. Feel free to discuss the entirety of Umineko without [spoiler] tags, but please tag references to outside works, providing adequate context in parenthesis. This topic will contain massive spoilers, so if you have not finished reading Umineko yourself proceed with caution.

Virgilia’s always been one of my absolute favorite magical characters, and I find myself increasingly saddened that her connection to Kumasawa isn’t as expanded upon as it could have been. I think, however, that a lot of this comes from the theories I had cooked up. For a long time, I had thought that Kumasawa was actually a former lover of Kinzo’s, and that she and Genji had this weird one-sided affection towards their master, and… Yeah, no, none of that ended up being true. But that’s okay, I think. Even if she ended up being less important than I thought she was going to be- And mind you, I swore that her entrusting Natsuhi’s Innocence to Battler and then vanishing was going to be MAJORLY IMPORTANT but nothing came of that either.

Also, I ship her with Gaap.

2 Likes

Just so you know, you don’t have to tag spoilers in character threads unless you reference outside works (like Higurashi in an Umineko character thread, for example).

Anyway, I like Virgilia, too. I still remember how freaky it was when she seemed all evil at the end of Episode 3 even though she had acted like an ally to Battler the whole episode. Of course, it later turns out that she was pretty much good the whole time. I like that about her, considering that most of the other witches are at least a little screwy!

Virgilia and Gaap…I could ship that! I love how no one can get on Virgilia’s nerves like Gaap.

1 Like

I actually had a friend who was so disturbed by her sudden shift at the end of EP3 that she became his least favorite character for almost half of EP4… Until he realized, more or less what you did- That, although her actions appear cruel, she’s only acting out of earnest care for her successor, and that’s something especially endearing in regards to her character.

…that said, she still has a witch’s sense of morality, that’s for sure. I’m sure that, in spite of her constant insistence to the contrary, she felt little concern for the Ushiromiyas’ Pieces, considering they could be revived at any time.

1 Like

Hmm, that’s actually something I’d be interested in discussing; whether the pieces in Umineko are just mindless puppets or not. I’ve always wondered about that. That would be going off topic, though. Maybe I should start a new topic?

Edit: Unfortunately, it looks like I can’t start a new topic in the ‘07th Discussion’ category.

4 Likes