What to read next?

• Higurashi
  • Higanbana

0 voters

I’ve finished Umineko, for the second time, this morning at 6AM, and I’m so torn apart with emotion.

I’m so torn between just reading it all again, because it’s that great, or starting Higurashi or Higanbana. So I’ll leave a poll. What should I read next, and maybe drop an opinion or two about why you think so.

I only have Higurashi up to EP5, whatever the latest Steam currently has. Is this going to be a let down if I have to stop there?

1 Like

Honestly, both are great choices. Im keeping up with the Steam releases for Higurashi as well, and it hasnt been disappointing.
Higanbana and Higurashi may both mess you up, but they’re both worth the read.
Maybe if you have more time read Higurashi, and if you less time read Higanbana because of the shortish chapters format?

2 Likes

Wish we were a little more united here…

Now is the perfect time to read Higanbana. You’ll never get another chance to experience the story together with so many other people, sharing perspectives and expanding our understanding of the story together. It’s a lot more rewarding than reading alone, and you’ll be supporting Rokkenjima by going so!

And well, I’ve actually been thinking that Higanbana is story you need to read in particular, isofrag. I really feel like the messages could be helpful to you at this point in your life.

4 Likes

Honestly? I’d go with Higanbana. It’s short and sweet and Ryukishi clearly had Umineko on the brain as he was writing it. It’s the perfect way to digest some of the thematic elements from Umineko (especially if you understand it thoroughly).

Higurashi was my introduction to Ryukishi’s works and it will always hold a special place in my heart but I think now is the perfect time to jump on the Higanbana bandwagon. Who knows, you might discover something no one else has thought of. I look forward to discussing the story with you!

3 Likes

Hmm. Thanks, guys! Higanbana it will be!

2 Likes

Ah, again with your indecisiveness… Well, you’ve already decided by now, but I would’ve liked you to go for Higurashi either way, it is such a fine story and I would have liked it for you to be introduced to it, since it is also the first and one of the most popular 07th Expansion VNs, so I think it’s time. I feel that Higanbana, however a fine little piece of work it might be, ought to be saved for later, after you’ve read both Higurashi and Umineko, for some reason, maybe cause of their release order or maybe because it’s short stories and after treating yourself to both Higurashi and Umineko, which are so long, you can treat yourself to some interesting little short stories and read more of 07th Expansion works at the same time.

2 Likes

Would you say Higurashi would be just as rewarding even with having to stop at EP5?

How long is Higanbana, anyway? I know it’s short, but, like…readable in a day, or?

I think the 1-6 chapters all take under an hour, or just about an hour to read. 7, the final chapter took me about 2 hours total. (Chapter 6 is incredibly short btw) so if you really push you could probably finish the First Night in a day

Ehh… That’s not really accurate. I’ll give a generous estimate here.

Ch. 1 is 2 hours
Ch. 2 is 2 hours
Ch. 3 is 1 hour
Ch. 4 is 20 minutes
Ch. 5 is 2 hours
Ch. 6 is 20 minutes
Ch. 7 is 3 hours

Ch. 1 is 30 minutes
Ch. 2 is 2 hours

And that’s what I’m up to.

1 Like

Eh, how would I know, I’ve only watched the anime and read some of the manga, never played the VN… Well, my answer might be biased, since I do enjoy Higurashi very much and thus would say that it is very rewarding stopping at the fifth chapter, given that the fifth chapter is my favourite and a pretty good one and the first answer arc, thus it provides many clues and gives you a few subtle answers too, so you’ll have a lot to contemplate about while waiting for the next chapters to be released. Well, it all depends on whether you will enjoy the story at all, ultimately. You having gotten into 07th Expansion with Umineko, so I think you, like most, will not appreciate it as much as Umineko but who knows, you might come to like it more…

3 Likes