When They Cry 5 Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

Oh, looks like I began getting into 07th Expansion stuff just in time. I’m quite confident I can catch up on the series by the time this is released. I’m already highly invested in Umineko as is, and I’m excited to dive into Higurashi. I anticipate this next entry will be great, and I look forward to discussing it with you people.

3 Likes

“Have the lambs stopped crying for you, Clarice?” That’s the first thing that came to mind. (Though I’m with @pictoshark and hoping that it’s dolphins for a JoJoke, Jotaro Kujo would dive right into it, no pun intended.)

But wow, it’s seriously been six years since the last WTC ended. Those were some volatile times then. Hopefully, this new WTC isn’t going to be as divisive amongst the fans as the last one (oh, and well-written, but I imagine it will be!)

For the record, Higanbana and Hotarubi are not WTC titles! Though Hotarubi came close imo.

EDIT: Does anyone have any data on how long it took for Umineko Episode 1 to be developed?

1 Like

I’m going to say that it’s something like ‘When the Wind Cries’ or something like that. I’m so glad that I’m going to feel what it’s like to have a new WTC released. I’m looking forward to the debates and theorizing (assuming that’s the kind of story it’ll be)

2 Likes

Finally, omg I can’t believe it. I have been waiting for it pretty much since I finished Umineko years ago.
Personally for me what make a WTC is : repeating fragments, horror and mystery , also the “reality and illusions overlap to obscure the truth.” I truly truly wish that would stays the same else it might feel like another non-WTC (I loved those btw). Maybe when Ryukishi said it would be different he means it won’t feature his art? that would be funny.

1 Like

I think we can make SOME assumptions of what makes a WTC entry:

Story will develop over several repetitions of the same universe.

The universes will be represented by glass shards.

Blue haired lesbians (implied or otherwise).

I think we can add some more stuff to your assumption list, @InaneFool.

Lots of characters to care about, most of them are going to die repeatedly due to what may seem simple on the surface, but is really complex once unraveled.

Bern and Lambda, or some sort of piece equivelant of them. Possibly (Umineko Spoilers) Featherine may come back as well. Or a piece to represent her.

Potentially an abusive character/abused character.

Themes of having to overcome something really hard, and it taking a miracle to do so.

A theoretical miracle world that will allow us to see the antagonist (or an antagonist) as human.

As for what animal will be crying? I dunno. I like the idea @Yerian has about lambs. I think it’s be super interesting if WTC3 was a inspired by Silence of the Lambs, like Umineko was inspired by And Then There Where None. I for one think that would make a very interesting story…

3 Likes

Oooooh I am so thrilled about this I can’t even express how happy I am about this.

I have never been involved in a When They Cry series when it was still coming out so I am thrilled about this development.

Regarding crying animals: they might stay away from mammals at this point and have it be a reptile or an amphibian or a fish. Maybe I just think that because a series called When The Frogs Cry is hilarious to me.

1 Like

When the Tuna Cry

3 Likes

When the snoeks cry

Quality speculation here on Rokkenjima.

5 Likes

I am betting on “When the wolves cry” as well. Just imagining wolf howls combined with eerie music and the premise of murders in a dark, isolated castle… :thinsmile:

On a more serious note, I haven’t been this excited in a long time! I was a lucky one with both Higurashi and Umineko. Discovered Higurashi while Kai hadn’t even aired yet and discovered Umineko more than 8 years ago while the first episode was just getting released and translated. I remember spending hours and hours lurking on the AnimeSuki forums, reading theories and speculations even after the release of EP 8. I can’t wait to get back into that atmosphere! It’s going to be really difficult to abstain from reading/seeing spoilers from the people who know Japanese while waiting for a translation, though…

1 Like

Yall, please. We need four syllables, in Japanese. I expected more effort out of you than this.

I actually considered When the Wolves Cry, like @EternalMagician and @sii_kei suggested. おおかみのなく頃に would fit the pattern, after all. Plus the atmosphere that it invokes matches Ryukushi’s typical writing themes pretty well in my opinion. I like it.

1 Like

Wait, seriously? Well, look like I picked a decent time to join the WTC fandom. So hyped!

1 Like

I, personally, would want to see something like… When The Chupacabras Cry. That’s a cool, unique, (fictitious) animal that would have an interesting and emblematic cry, and it fits the quadrisyllabic naming convention.

1 Like

Chupacabra → チュパカブラ :mii:

A for effort though!

1 Like

Ah, drat! Oh well. I think I’m stuck, then. Curse my monolinguality!

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be an animal.
Nor even a living thing
After the whole furniture thing introduced in Umineko, why not?

When the chair cry
Staring Kanon

8 Likes

We need to figure out an animal that has a cry in Japanese besides seagulls and cicadas, that’ll probably be the answer. I don’t think it’ll be wolves because it’s pretty cliche and there was a 07th Expansion small anime called Okamikakushi a while back.

3 Likes

You’re right, completely forgot about Ookamikakushi!