When They Cry 5 Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

I think people are too exigent pfft, I came for the plot, not for the drawings personally. Well I mean, I don’t dislike them either way but it’s not that bad

4 Likes

I came for the plot as well.

When I first played Umineko I never minded the art, once I played Higurashi it kinda threw me off but I didn’t hate it. They grew on me over time.

Reading people disliking the art made me “???” at first since I felt they were unique.

4 Likes

I always came for Ryukishi’s plots. :winking:

6 Likes

I played them with PS3 sprites but read Umineko and Higurashi fandisks so I had to play with those arts but I already liked them anyway pfft

1 Like

omg Aspi xD

Haha I was sleep deprived okok

I started with the PS2 sprites myself for Higurashi, but Ryukishi won my heart in the end.

Says the guy who has an official Higurashi Sui PS3 picture haha

but yeah, I guess I kinda like both

I’m a girl xD

I didn’t say I hate them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I made this icon when Sui was just coming out, so I was excited for new art for Higurashi. :slight_smile:

Oh sorry pfft I just “guy” everyone on the internet because girls don’t exist on the internet.

Well I don’t mind that art but there are a few Alchemist ones I don’t like at all (namely Rika because her hair is so different compared to original sprites, Chie, Kasai and Takano) and also the difference between pc arcs sprites and console arcs’… Well at least I don’t mind Rika on your pic

2 Likes

I’m not so concerned with the sprites as I am with content. I have seen a few teasers, but I’m not sure what’s fake and what’s real.

Moving on…

I dunno, I personally would like for Ryushiki to continue to draw his own sprites. It really speaks to the origins of his games and the level of personal involvement in his work. Although I agree the Higurashi sprites are an eyesore, I thought the Umineko sprites were pretty charming. I like some of them much more than the PS3 and alchemist sprites, but I only felt that way after I finished the story.

Shiny art draws in new fans. I would be most satisfied if there was a toggle setting between sprites (like in the Umi steam release), but that’s probably unrealistic.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’ve always looked forward to what new sprites Ryukishi makes. It makes Ryukishi’s work stand out from other works really.

5 Likes

I merged all the discussion topics together and for some reason it ended up out of chronological order. Gdi Discourse…

2 Likes

Discuss~

Well, the basic setting looks like it’ll be more elaborate than just picking a year and a place in the past. Could be near future or some kind of alternate history, although the space BG makes me lean towards the former.
Given the wastelands and that one character’s profession… did he get inspired while writing that Lucia route…? :stuck_out_tongue:
And what kind of mystery would await us here is anyone’s guess.
Of course with Ryukishi there’s the chance that all of this is on a completely different layer of reality from the real setting.

Also obligatory silly new title theory: When the planet cries.

5 Likes

Haha, that’s a great title theory! I’m definitely feeling less confident in my crows theory now.

But like you said, there’s no guarantee that any of this is representative of the setting of the final game, but I don’t think he’d be making this for no reason either. It all feels very Rewrite to me. Maybe this image album is set thousands of years in the future where these automata are trying to restore a ruined Earth to its former beauty, and the main story takes place in the modern day. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls a whole “You won’t see these characters until at least Episode 2” like he did with Umineko.

3 Likes

Based on the images and such of the drama CD, I think the setting of the drama is set in some sort of magical science fiction world

However, we know WTC5 is going to be more urban in nature, and I think the drama CD we are seeing is either :

1. A play held by the WTC5 characters.
  2. The WTC5 characters or something of them at least, are perhaps voice actors voicing some strange new anime.
  3. The drama CD is a fictionalized exaggeration of WTC 5 characters and the things we will see in the drama CD are metaphorical representations of the characters.
2 Likes

Was it ever established that WTC5 will be an urban story?

ALLL ABOARD!!!

Point taken all we know is that it is global and open world.

My current thought is how important, if at all, the fact that the four character’s descriptions we are given all have part of the name matching the voice actors names besides Haworthia

1 Like

The fact that the characters names are based on their V.A.'s is pretty interesting.

1 Like