A brand new nugget of mystery [GAME 5] [SOLVED]

Rather, the narrator says that doll house which was knocked over is now unimportant. Thus, the narrator would no longer refer to it as “this house.”

The sorcerer smirked at the theories pitching towards him. He had little countermeasure other than to hold up his cape and take them head on.

The records of truth shall be posted at a later time.

6 Likes

As the smoke from the impact cleared it could be seen that the sorcerer was still standing, likely due to his lack of personal relation to the mystery.

In most other circumstances one would suffer quite the grave wounds as a result of such an attack.

His cape however, was ruined, though he didn’t seem to mind, beaming ear to ear despite it and his defeat.

“That was a truly excellent performance everyone! You moved me to tears with how deftly you wielded your theories and chased down the truth!”

“In your pockets you should all find an envelope.” he declared as he snapped his fingers.

“Within it is the truth of this game.”

The Envelope

The narrator wished to die and take his younger sister with him. By chance he discovered the killer’s identity and anonymously informed them of how his parents would be out for quite the duration that night.

However, the human heart is not so simple, especially one caught in the throes of self annihilatory feelings, and so the narrator of our tale began to doubt himself. Pushed to his emotional limit he began to believe that he had magical powers as his eyes wandered over the key to his sister’s treasured dollhouse.

In a fit of self hatred he crushed it in his hands and then followed by knocking down the now useless item, forgetting about it, but unable to forget about the key due to the pain from crushing it that he could still feel.

All of the reds prior to this event were speaking of the dollhouse when they said “this house”, but now with it knocked out of his vision and forgotten as a defense mechanism the reds after this event speak of the house they are in when they say “this house”.

As a result of this trick of the reds the door was still unlocked allowing the killer to enter as he lost track of time. He was snapped out of his trance by some kind of sound related to his sister’s murder, resulting in the red that he then spoke.

He thought back to the key looking over to the patch of darkness it had likely flew towards when the hand holding it struck against the dollhouse. He saw a doll on the ground there, something he briefly mistook for a person before realizing it was just something relatively pointless.

As he died the narrator found it funny that his strength has been reduced to such a level that he is incapable of even breaking a toy key, and so he wrote in on the floor in his blood, likely fancying himself for some kind of witch posing a great riddle.

He tossed a wrapped package over to one of the players, @Karifean to be precise.

“Till next time, Voyagers!”

And then with a clap of his hands the tale vanished from beneath them and the large machine began to power down.

2 Likes

…I’ll just say it’s a catbox and keep it unopened.

3 Likes

Just gonna say that I would’ve definitely thought of the doll house thing if the sister in my mind wasn’t my actual family, where all my sisters are much older than me, hence I didn’t think of the sister being young

FUCK

So that package is probably some sort of gameboard…I’m looking forward to it.

Well, that certainly was the cruelest bit of wordplay I’ve seen. Congratulations to @VyseGolbez for seeing through it.

I have to say, though, I feel like asking for foreshadowing when I suggested there could be two different houses referred to as “this house” is a bit of a dubious move. Does the narrative have enough foreshadowing for the existence of a dollhouse in particular? The thing the narrator knocked over is not specified, and could be most anything. Later on, the narrator notices something he briefly mistakes for a person, only to identify it as a meaningless object. I did consider it could be a doll, but I feel like the leap of logic from “meaningless knick-knack our confused protagonist might consider a person for a moment -> a doll, maybe…? -> a dollhouse exists” is a bit tenuous to request as foreshadowing of the existence of a dollhouse.

That said, I suppose that is not all. The narrator being able to crush the key with his hand suggests it is not an ordinary key. Hmm. Oh well, this is at least something to keep in mind for myself, as I’ve entertained the thought of creating a fair play mystery myself, with asking for evidence from the narrative a valid move for the gamemaster.

Anyhow… I do wonder if this game has actually ended. The title of the post does not read “[SOLVED]”. The records of truth were not in red. A mystery envelope has switched owners. The local sorcerer stands unharmed, as this was not truly his mystery to begin with. Perhaps the envelope Karifean received contains the real truth of this story.

1 Like

Technically I’d consider it more a riddle than a mystery.

In retrospective tho, that the “gamemaster” asks for forshadowing rather than outright denying it seems to suggest it means you are on the right path, and we probably could’ve caught on that this was a good idea to pursue…

1 Like

True, but as there was precedent for the gamemaster asking lime questions about theories that are complete dead ends, it was not that unreasonable for the players to dismiss that particular instance of asking for foreshadowing as nothing but a distraction.