A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

(Full Series Spoilers) Just gotta say, the description for Fantasy!Shannon talking about her being Kinzo’s handmade furniture in the ‘truest sense’ and the brief mention of a ‘few problems with her initial specifications’ hit me like a truck the first time I finished rereading EP2.

5 Likes

Episode 3 Starts today!

What is this young Eva nonsense we’re getting? This one really threw me when it first appeared. (Also sorry my voice was still ruined from ep2 :crying:)

It was really interesting to see the first flashback to the childhood of the adults of the Ushiromiya family. Particularly when considering who the criminal was and their motive, this seemed like it would be a big setup for some answers. It’ll be fun to watch it play out again as we go in to editing episode 3.
Also I believe this was the first time thus far that it’s seemed like Bern and Lambda directly have sway over the gameboard. It’s definitely alluded to earlier, but young Eva’s use of ‘certainty’ really was a surprise (that also took a while to sink in).

Also, what is this mansion we have? I had no idea what I was getting in to when that appeared. It was super weird, in particular seeing the character’s style of speech. Particularly ‘grandfather’. That just struck me as super odd. Geez I sure hope we learn more about it :ryukishi:

7 Likes

What a loving family~

2 Likes

I’ve been looking forward to Ep3 for aaaagggeessss. Things get turned on their head and some of the most difficult mysteries are presented to us at full-force. Welcome back to Rokkenjima! We hope you enjoy your stay~ :gohda:

4 Likes

This was my favorite episode when I was first reading Umineko, cant wait to see how this’ll go! I love seeing what theories you make, then comparing it to what I made when I was first reading

3 Likes

BRONOVE HYPE :pukuku:

As Episode 3 tears through the first day, it’s time for some fun with everyone’s favourite demon.
I think BRonove represents a really fun turn in the story to me, and I look forward to reliving all of his meticulous hijinks.
Also the beginning of this one has a small discussion about @MagusVerborum’s initial experience playing through Umineko, so you can see in to the mind of madness that guides me through.

Also in case you missed it, I recently did a writeup on the Episode 5 Spoiler Free thread; go check it out!

7 Likes

Bronove is definitely one of my favourite characters to play while recording. I already love how cheeky he is and the voice that ends up evolving from playing him just rolls off the tongue in a perfect way.

2 Likes

HIDDEN MANSIONS?!
HIDDEN MISTRESSES?!
This Kinzo sounds like a crazy cat.

Whenever we get scenes like this, where we get things that seem to flow on from the other discussions we’ve seen, I have to wonder if these actually took place ‘off-screen’ in the previous episodes. It’d be interesting to stitch together all of these discussions and see if we can use it to establish a full day in the ‘reality’ of Rokkenjima.

6 Likes

Kinzo has enough skeletons in his closet to run for President… hell I’d vote for him! :kinzo:

4 Likes

More logic puzzle fun!
I sure hope you are ready to get all of those boxes and find which has a cookie inside of it.
I do find it quite amusing how long the explanation of Hempel’s Raven takes. It sure is a weird bit of thinking and Ryukishi clearly felt the need to word everything thoroughly, and to be honest at the time it probably actually made it harder for me than it did help :ryukishi:

5 Likes

Jesus Christ, talk about all this excess fat. If there were a chapter with content I’d like to snip, I’d start from this one.

@7:35: No, that’s wrong. That’s not Dancing Pipe, that’s ‘Core’. This is ‘Dancing Pipe’.

The PS3 sprites managed to make the Battler ‘spin point’ even more anime by having a Phoenix Wright style CG show up.

3 Likes

Yea this chapter goes on for a really, really long time and basically only achieves telling you one thing; what Hempel’s Raven is. If anything it gets so long that it becomes even more confusing than it is to start with.

also lol @MagusVerborum son you need to get learned on your soundtrack

3 Likes

I’m gonna be real it’s very difficult to just identify tracks while recording, with my mind otherwise going at a mile a minute, and it’s way too awkward to try and correct myself immediately afterwards when I realize I misdiagnosed.

2 Likes

Understandable. Though knowing me, I probably continue to point out any misdiagnosed music tracks to keep the record straight that and the fact that I love the sensation of pointing out contradictions like I’m in a Ace Attorney game but don’t let anyone know that cough cough .

4 Likes

I love that you’re both calling it a diagnosis. I just imagine the song lying on a hospital bed, then @MagusVerborum speaks the wrong name and the BPM on the heartrate monitor flatlines.

6 Likes

What is this, the Rosa backstory chapter!? We get a good long discussion about numbers between the Purgatory goers (and plenty of beautiful Bronove voice) along with Rosa’s recollection of a tragic tale. Enjoy!

5 Likes

So last time we spoke about birds.

This has been one of my favourite episodes to edit; there’s a heap of fun stuff that happened, but also there is so much to unpack going on this episode, the whole relationship between Kinzo and Beatrice, the implications of Beatrice’s death, and that epic Red Truth towards the end. Especially now that we’re recording further along in the story it’s incredible to see all of this stuff continuing to be more relevant as we go on. Once we finish episode 8 this one is definitely on my go-to list to rewatch, because I’m sure it’s overloaded with even more stuff than I realise.

Also shoutout to BRonove for being the best.

3 Likes

First twilight bois!

This is good fun. It’s always a pleasure to talk about the various layers of narration and how they form the story, and how about that fight scene! It’s very interesting to see the dynamics between the various magical characters and ‘furniture’ characters, trying to puzzle out how they know each other and what it all means. For the next episode, i hope you’re ready for like 15 minutes of straight yelling cackle

5 Likes

Today in Umineko, @MagusVerborum talks to himself for half an hour. Also I believe this is our first introduction to fight math which is the bane of my existence. Other than the reveal of a connection between old Beatrice and Kumasawa, though, I don’t think there’s much to comment on. It’s an anime as all hell scene with some cool character moments. Also shoutout to 15:58 for being one of my favourite reactions thus far.

4 Likes

Double shoutout to that reaction, Jokrono sent a clip of that moment to me multiple times (I think I still have his phone recording of the screen somewhere on my harddrive…) and holy shit this was such a fun chapter. Knowing what was a bout to happen absolutely did not lessen it for me, this really felt like a moment for Ryukishi to let loose with the bullshit anime shounen… whatever this is… It’s glorious, it’s silly, it’s positively smothering! And the sky just keeps raining down spears… :cackle:

4 Likes