A Seasoned Veteran and a Sherlock-in-Training Try to Make Sense of Umineko No Naku Koro Ni

And so we make our first venture to Ange’s school life.

Not really spoilers but either way just in case; Man this one has some aggravating moments to edit in it. I was so paranoid about still trying to solve things that I didn’t get that Ryukishi wasn’t really playing any tricks here. He was simply telling us the nature of magic and I was not registering that in the slightest. What’s so frustrating about this to me is that this is a part of the story that I really, really like and it’s just infuriating to see myself shitting on my favourite part of the story because I was too goddamned thick to get it. At least I got there in the end so that I can be frustrated with myself :ryukishi:

7 Likes

Between the school girls and the introduction of the objectively cutest voice… This is probably the most embarrassing chapter. I don’t know if I can handle this.

2 Likes

Since you recorded that episode who knows how many months ago, chances are you’ve already heard this from somewhere, but I figured I might as well share a tidbit about Japanese pronunciation. You were wondering about what’s the difference between Sakutarou and Sakutaro, as you said both of them the same way. As Japanese writing is phonetic (well, hiragana and katakana are, dunno if kanji count, strictly speaking), exactly what sounds are related to what letters is far more strictly defined than in, say, English, where the letter “o” can correspond to a couple of different sounds.

In Japanese, what is written as ‘o’ in the roman alphabet is a short sound similar to how you’d say ‘o’ in some English words that begin with 'o, like the words “otter” or “objection!”. The Japanese ‘ou’, on the other hand, corresponds to how English uses ‘o’ in certain other contexts, like in other words that begin with ‘o’ such as “old” or “over”, or how you’d usually say it when a word ends in ‘o’.

So, basically ‘o’ alone in Japanese is short and sharp whereas ‘ou’ is longer and tends towards an ‘u’ sound at the end. However, since both of those distinct sounds are represented by a single ‘o’ in written English, using those properly in Japanese can be a bit difficult for native English speakers. What muddies the waters further is that when Japanese words or names are written in roman letters for English speakers, sometimes when there’s an ‘ou’ -sound, it’s written only as ‘o’ because English speakers are expected to say the single ‘o’ as ‘ou’ anyway. For example, Tokyo is not written Toukyou, even though that might technically be a more accurate transliteration. This makes the words look neater, but makes things a bit confusing when the ‘o’ really is supposed to just be an ‘o’ and not an ‘ou’.

So, the way you say “Sakutaro” is actually pretty much how one should say “Sakutarou”, but since English almost always uses the ‘ou’ pronunciation for words ending in ‘o’, this little error is pretty much omnipresent in English speakers who haven’t studied Japanese, and it isn’t really anything to be ashamed of.

In other news, I recall that after I had first read Umineko and some time had passed, I started regarding Ange’s story as a bit of a weird sidestep - something that provided useful information and all and touched on interesting themes, but overall felt tangential to the ‘real’ story. Now that I get to re-experience it through your wonderful playthrough, I feel like appreciating it a lot more. Having an understanding of the workings of Umineko gives me the opportunity to focus on and understand Ange as a character more than on my first read. What previously felt like a strange sidestory is now a story that has great emotional weight on its own, a story that is definitely worth telling. Ange’s story might be the part of Umineko that benefits the most from a reread, at least to me.

Looking forward to seeing you continue to challenge Episode 4 and slowly be driven insane by Sakutaro’s voice.

5 Likes

Thanks for the bit on pronunciation. It’s funny how things in English that are so swayed by accent are often actually factored in to the writing of other cultures. Kind of the equivalent of how some eastern accents struggle with L in English, I suppose.

I’d definitely agree; Ange’s story really has been one of the best parts to re-read, even during episode 5, taking a look back on episode 4 was super valuable to me.

Also new video!

Here we go, it’s OKONOGI time. Our first main venture in to Ange’s life in 1998. Okonogi’s message about love sure didn’t click with me straight away, but in editing this is a really fantastic scene.

Also that jump explanation, I don’t buy it.

7 Likes

“Without love it cannot be seen”

I wonder if this phrase will ever be repeated endlessly in the future. :pukuku:

5 Likes

Here we go new video!
Goldsmith best boi! I’m so excited to play magic boi Kinzo :ryukishi:
4 Likes

We blue boys now! I’m sure we’ll see plenty of this colour going forward and it won’t be sidelined by any mischief! :cackle:

2 Likes

After a little further delve in to Maria and Rosa’s relationship, it’s more Sakutaro time.
I’m probably going to sound like a broken record the further we get through Episode 4, but I think there’s a lot of really useful, fun detail about the nature of magic. It’s really, really straightforward how Ryukishi portrays the nature of Maria’s magic in this episode.

Also;
“Think about it objectively”
“By objectively, you mean from your point of view, right?”
Might be one of, if not the greatest one-liner Ryukishi has given us so far.

6 Likes

It’s really nice getting to see Maria and Ange hanging out with Sakutarou, Beato and Virgilia. It looks like a truly happy time~

2 Likes

Episode 4 could easily be my favorite parts of the story so far. The explanations of magic, as well as the character building between Rosa Maria and Ange was done so well.

3 Likes

@Exdeath yea Ep4 is still one of my favourites, for all its pacing problems and weird tangents it tells a great story.

New video!

Shoutout to the witch hunt! Recently sat down for a chat with ChronoTrig from the Witch Hunt on the podcast, which was pretty cool, hope you guys are looking forward to that
This was our first look at public perceptions of the murders, which I wasn’t really expecting to be like this. It was also interesting to learn the details on how the message bottle had been found. I had some suspicions about the writing style of ep3 and this to me justified that.

5 Likes

SHOUTOUT TO WITCH HUNT :kinzo:

2 Likes

More witch training, and then Lambda shows up and is a darling. I really love this chapter, particularly Lambda’s appearance. It’s such a significant moment to me because it really hit home with me about how screwed up this whole situation is.

4 Likes

I do enjoy learning about how magic works along with Ange here. I’m sure it will be a fantastic tool for deciphering the magical mysteries of Rokkenjima~ :pukuku:

2 Likes

Time for ultimate friendship with 0% friend murder! More games at the bench! Nobody dies! :crying:
7 Likes

Wait are you sad no one dies? YOU MONSTER! :crying:

2 Likes

Watching Maria take the role of teacher to Ange in Ep4 is always fun, let’s just hope that their relationship stays healthy and pleasant and doesn’t crumble apart at the seams or anything. :crying:

3 Likes

The episode 4 train rolls on! More lessons on magic, more child abuse, more fun (not really), just sadness! How did we ever enjoy this :crying:
7 Likes

Man I’d forgotten how introspective this chapter was. 40 minutes of Ange chatting with her magical friends and Amakusa about life. It’s pretty chill.

5 Likes

Chaos is abound! Kinzo’s game begins. I was really excited to actually get a start on the gameboard for this episode, to finally have some fun murder rather than child abuse and bullying. This episode has had some pretty unusual pacing and I think it lends itself well to the somewhat goofy atmosphere of Kinzo’s madness in this chapter, as murder provides relief from the other traumas of this episode. Quite the interesting feat of writing Ryukishi achieved here.

Also seeing as this might be the final episode we post before the forum closes for now; I’d like to thank you guys on the forum for your support - it’s been absolutely fantastic having you on board and hearing your feedback. I hope you stick around as we march on through the story. Don’t forget to keep an eye on the playlist to keep up with the series if you were waiting for us to post it here. It’s been a blast :ryukishi:

7 Likes