Gameboard of Recollections - Memory #1 [SOLVED]

Greetings! I’m 月夜亞恋空 (Tsukiyo Alex), the Sorcerer of Entropy, even though I’m a witch I’m also a detective and collected as spoils the boards I’ve previously beaten, since I was bored I decided to challenge you all with some of my memories. Shall we begin?

Rules:
You must expose the crime proving it was committed by a human presenting a theory that answers these 3 questions: “Who done it?”, “How done it?” and “Why done it?”. In order to help you do that I’ll be using red text (see explanation below) to respond to your theories, and there are two ways by which I’ll give you red text:

1. Requests for repeating sentences. I have no obligation to repeat what you tell me, but I ensure you all that I’ll try to repeat as much as I can.
  2. Construction of a full theory using blue text (see explanation below). I have the obligation to correct any mistakes you make using the blue text, however I have no obligation to correct all the mistakes, so even if your theory has more than one mistake I can point out just one of them and by that deny your theory. The blue text can only be used if you build a full theory answering the three questions proposed: “Who done it?”, “How done it?” and “Why done it?”.

Coloured text:

Red - anything said in red is the truth, there’s no need to prove anything said in red, and the interpretation of what is said in red is up to you, since everything you know is the story itself there is no red text you could use so I’ll be the one using the red text.

Blue - in blue you can all write your theories, and I have the obligation to use the red to deny your theory. Please be as clear as possible while using blue so that there are no problems of interpretation. To use it just type **[color=blue]text[/color]**.

That pretty much covers it all, if you have any doubts regarding the rules just post them or PM me.
In case you have more than one theory you can list them all, I’ll occasionally come here to respond to all of you at once, so please be patient.
I hope you all enjoy your stay and that this story fits your tastes.

2 Likes

October 31st, 10:32 P.M.

It was an awesome Halloween party, the food was great and Betty was truly enjoying herself. Bethanie “Betty” Sampson was a young and clever woman who worked at some kind of important company, she had long red hair and was wearing an elegant witch costume. Betty was all alone in a corner drinking punch when two women approached her.

“Betty! Long time no see, how have you been?”

“Oh, it’s you Meredith, what a beautiful costume, the black swan, right?”

“Yes, yes, I’m glad you noticed! Oh, by the way, this is Sarah, she’s my colleague at work.”
“Nice to meet you.”

“Equally. Now, if you excuse me, I think I had too much punch.”

Meredith Yardley was Bethanie’s childhood friend and they used to be really close, time is a cruel thing though, and they ended up following their own different paths. She was average, and her only trait worthy describing was the gorgeous black swan costume she was wearing, adorned with splendorous black feathers.

On the other hand, Sarah Campbell had a beauty not of this world, and the Venetian mask she was wearing as part of her Juliette costume added even more beauty to her face instead of covering it.

November 1st, 12:01 A.M.

The body was found lying face down in the library of Ingram Manor, the cause of death is unknown, the body shows signs of being shot with a gun, and the face is smashed. Identification is still in process.

“Inspector Lawrence, we have a result.”

October 31st, 10:46 P.M.

“Hey, Meredith!”

“Oh, Louis! Don’t go shouting like that!”

“You’re one to speak! Have you seen Betty around?”

“I saw her a few minutes ago, and then she went to the toilet…”

The man speaking is Louis Partington, he’s Bethanie Sampson’s boyfriend, they are together for 2 years now. Louis works in an associated company to the one Meredith works in, they met by happenstance and became friends, some time later Meredith introduced him to Bethanie and they fell in love almost at first sight.

“So, Louis, let me introduce you to a friend of mine, this is Sarah…”

“Oh, good evening Mrs. Campbell, what a surprise to find you here.”

“I say the same Mr. Partington.”

“So you two already knew each other?”

“Yeah, a few months ago I went to the company and you weren’t there, so Mrs. Campbell was the one who received me. Oh well, Betty doesn’t seem to be coming so soon, then, would you mind conceding me the honor of a dance?”

“M-me?! W-well, I think only one song is fine…”

Meredith watched while the two of them shamelessly went dancing. That’s when she suddenly saw a red-haired woman in the middle of the crowd and, thinking it was Betty, followed her.
“Huh?! I lost track of her completely. Well, it could not be Betty, so it’s better to leave it be.”

November 1st, 12:03 A.M.

“So the corpse belongs to Bethanie Sampson, right?”

“That’s what it seems, judging from the description of the clothes she was wearing and from the guest list, it could only be her.”

“So, are there any specific clues about what could have killed her or who the culprit is?”

“The cause of death remains unknown, but there’s the possibility she was shot and had her face smashed with a flat object. Her clothes were found in disarray but there’s no sign of a struggle, next to it there were a few papers that might have fallen from the desk because of the wind, and, we also found this, a black feather.”

“What’s this? Some sort of message? Or maybe something the culprit had in his or hers clothes? Either way, we have to investigate this further, bring the discoverer of the corpse first, please.”

✶Interview No. 1: Garrett Ward

“So, you’re the one who discovered her body, right? Please tell me the situation the most detailed you can.”

“Well, I was hired as a security for this party, while I was doing my rounds I went to check the library and, just when I opened the door, there she was, lying face down on the floor, I immediately left to call for help, and that’s when we called the police.”

“Could you describe the library, please? Even the smallest details will do. Also, the door was locked when you found the body, isn’t that right?”

“Yes, the door was locked, so I used my master key to unlock it, all security staff in this party have one. About the library, as far as I know there’s only a single door, though in old houses like this it wouldn’t be that uncommon to find hidden passages or anything of the sort, right? The windows all seemed to be closed tightly and I don’t think anyone would be able to use those as an escape route, however I must admit that as soon as I opened the door and saw her body lying there in that awkward position I didn’t stop to analyze the room in much detail, so I could be mistaken in a few details.”

“Do you remember around what time was that?”

“Right before heading to the part where the library is located I checked my watch out of habit, it was 11:37 P.M.”

“Alright, you can go now.”

“Just one more thing, I heard you found a black feather near the body, right? A woman claiming to be her friend was wearing an outfit full of those, maybe you should check on her.”
“We will, thank you for your cooperation.”

✶Interview No. 2: Meredith Yardley

“Lots of people have black feathers on their clothes, it’s not just me, you know?! Besides, why would I even kill Betty? We were good friends, you know?!! We’ve only had minor disagreements, nothing that would end up in cold-blooded murder. The worst thing she ever did to me was to steal my boyfriend, but that was years ago, a long-forgotten past, because that’s Betty, you know?!! She has always been like that, going off from man to man, I wouldn’t be surprised if she ended up killed by a spiteful man, or even by Louis himself!! Oh my!!! Please don’t tell him I said that.”

“Don’t worry Mrs. Yardley, this interview is private.”

“Okay. Louis kinda knew about her, you know, she never really hid it or anything, and that guy who found her, Yard what’s his face is pretty suspicious too, I mean, even if he were doing rounds that’s no reason to go opening locked doors, I bet his finding of the body was just an act to cast away suspicion, I wouldn’t doubt a bit if Betty was getting involved with him and he killed her upon finding she had a boyfriend, but I guess people don’t usually snap like that so poor Louis would end up being the most suspicious one. Poor thing, she made him go through such hard times…”

“You mean Mr. Ward?”

“Yes, that’s it! Ward!”

“Alright then, thanks for your cooperation Mrs. Yardley.”

✶Interview No. 3: Louis Partington

“Could you describe the relationship between you and Mrs. Sampson, Mr. Partington?”

“I’m her boyfriend…I mean, I was. It’s such a tragedy what happened, my poor Betty, she didn’t deserve that.”

“Is it true that you had fights with Mrs. Sampson before? Regarding other men?”

“That Meredith! Yes, it’s true, but I would never kill her for something small like that! I loved Betty and I knew she loved me too, I would never harm her. That Mrs. Campbell could be pretty suspicious on the other hand. I heard from Meredith that a few months ago Mrs. Campbell broke up with her boyfriend because Betty was hitting on her boyfriend, I wouldn’t be surprised if she plotted some sort of revenge.”

“We’ll make sure to check on that, thank you Mr. Partington.”

✶Interview No. 4: Sarah Campbell

“Yes, that’s true, at first I didn’t notice it, but now I can see why she ran off right after meeting me. Who would’ve thought we’d meet in a place like this. But no, I didn’t kill anyone if that’s what you want to know.”

“Anything else you could add?”

“Well, I briefly recognized that man who found her body, Mr. Ward, I think, I remember that I had the impression of being observed, and it was that man, he was staring straight at Mrs. Sampson, it gave me the creeps but I never considered she would show up dead, so I just forgot about it.”

“Alright, thanks for your cooperation Mrs. Campbell.”

Other people were interviewed, and from some of them a curious story sprouted. They say Ingram Manor is haunted by the ghost of Lord Ingram, who has passed away decades ago, leaving no descendants. Many people pointed to the resemblance Bethanie shared with Mrs. Ingram, Lord Ingram’s long-deceased wife, so they speculate Bethanie Sampson was killed by Lord Ingram’s ghost in order to bring his loved one back to his side once again.

Hm how to feel things out.

Let’s just take the bait. :glug:
Repeat it: There are no hidden passages in the library. Aside from the door and windows, there was no other way to enter or leave.

I’m afraid I cannot repeat that.

1. What is the definition of culprit? Is it simply the one who murders or is it the one who orchestrates without murdering?
  2. What is the definition of an accomplice?
  3. Does the mystery follow Knox’s rules?

Not going to make it easy, huh? Very well, I shall indulge with something more specific.

The culprit is Betty. She lured Sarah to the library via a secret passage she happened to know about for one reason or another, then shot the victim and messed up her face beyond recognition. After that, she swapped costumes to make it look like she was the one who died and went about her way, sufficiently disguised by the mask of Sarah’s costume. (she also left a feather to mislead the police to look for someone with a different costume) The motive was jealousy at the apparent relationship between her boyfriend and Sarah. By making it seem like she died and then disappearing as Sarah, she was able to pay both of them back.

1 Like

The culprit is the one who commits the crime described in the story. I apologise that I cannot be more specific about it.

An accomplice is a person who directly assists the culprit in commiting the crime, fully aware of the results.

I must ask you to request a confirmation of specific rules instead of the entire Decalogue.

Sarah Campbell was interviewed by the police.

Let me add this: Blue text can be used to counter red text presented as response in case you think it is a lure or mislead. In that case there is no need to present a full theory, just denial of the red text with a brief explanation of why it doesn’t disprove the theory it denies will suffice.

Do the following Knox rules apply:

Knox’s 3rd - It is forbidden for hidden passages to exist.
Knox’s 8th - It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented.
Knox’s 9th - It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard.

Well that’s fine, but I hope you won’t overdo it by adding too much misdirection beyond whatever the core tricks are.
Because once you can’t even trust to a reasonable degree that the red denied your theory in some way, there’s an infinite rabbit hole to go down where one could technically make up new misdirections and wordplays as you go for all eternity. (the extreme case would be if somebody got everything right yet was denied with some misleading red for no good reason. This should only be a valid move if there’s something already presented they failed to account for.)
For now I will trust that this statement refers to the police interview implied in the story.

1 Like

Well, said, so I make this a rule for myself: Red text can’t be used to mislead a fully correct answer or to create an infinite rabbit hole, the Game Master has the obligation to accept defeat in case the board is exposed. All red previously presented is in accordance to this rule. Thanks for the reminder.

@Ushiromiya_Battler requested Knox rules:

Knox 8th. It is forbidden for the case to be resolved with clues that are not presented.
Knox 9th. It is permitted for observers to let their own conclusions and interpretations be heard.
In discordance to Knox 3rd, it cannot be said that hidden passages do not exist.

2 Likes

Well I’ll start with something relatively simple to get more information :

"The culprit was Sarah Campbell! Mr.Ward lied about the library being locked, being Sarah’s accomplice. She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun (perhaps given to her by Mr.Ward). Their motivation was to deny Betty a possible right to the Ingram Estate, given her possible ancestry… Perhaps Sarah and Ward wanted the Estate for themselves".

2 Likes

The library door was locked when Garrett Ward tried to open it.

“The culprit was Sarah Campbell! She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun (perhaps given to her by Mr.Ward). Mr.Ward, being Sarah’s accomplice, closed the door and kept watch After the murder, Sarah left the room, and Ward locked the door. Their motivation was to deny Betty a possible right to the Ingram Estate, given her possible ancestry… Perhaps Sarah and Ward wanted the Estate for themselves”.

The library door is a special door that can only be locked from the inside. Thanks @Luadog

The culprit was Sarah Campbell! She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun (perhaps given to her by Mr.Ward). Mr.Ward, being Sarah’s accomplice, closed the door and kept watch. Sarah locked the door from the inside. After the murder, when Mr.Ward “discovered” the body, he unlocked the door and let Sarah out of the library. The purpose of locking the door was to create an illusion of a closed room.Their motivation was to deny Betty a possible right to the Ingram Estate, given her possible ancestry… Perhaps Sarah and Ward wanted the Estate for themselves

Lord Ingram left no descendants, so Betty has no right to the Estate. She is the reincarnation of Lady Ingram.

Oh crap, I didn’t know you’re gameboard started. Lemme take a shot at this.

Let’s see if you can repeat a few things:

• Betty was killed before the door was opened.
  • The windows were locked when Garrett opened the door
  • The windows can only be locked from the inside
  • No other rooms exist that are connected to the library aside from the one that Garrett used

Also, np for the locked door :slight_smile:. I think I mentioned that the one I used was on accident.

I refuse.

The windows were locked when Garrett opened the door.

The windows can only be locked from the inside.

I refuse.

The culprit was Meridith! She lured Betty into the library and killed her, with a gun (perhaps given to her by Mr.Ward). Mr.Ward, being Meridith’s accomplice, closed the door and kept watch. Meridith locked the door from the inside. After the murder, when Mr.Ward “discovered” the body, he unlocked the door and let Meridith out of the library. The purpose of locking the door was to create an illusion of a closed room. Meridith wanted to kill Betty out of spite of Betty’s promiscuity in the past. Ward became Meridith’s accomplice either through bribery, a personal vendetta against Betty herself (perhaps Betty was his lover in the past), or Meridith/Ward were in a relationship themselves.

When Garrett opened the door he could only see Bethanie Sampson’s body inside the library