Higanbana 1st Night Ch. 5: Hameln's Castanets

Ch5

General discussion topic for Chapter 5: Hameln’s Castanets of Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni: The First Night. Please tag any references to later chapters or outside works with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.
We take spoilers very seriously, and ignoring this rule could potentially result in a ban.

While this topic will serve as a general hub for discussion of the Chapter, if a conversation ends up flowing in a certain direction (eg. You start talking about the series as a whole rather than this particular Chapter), don’t be afraid to continue it in your own topic! Keep the “reply as linked topic” button beside each post in mind.

What would you rate this chapter?

0 voters

1 Like

I read through Higanbana 1st Night in 2013, so my memories of the stories are a bit vague, but this chapter was definitely a highlight for me. Hikaru is a very interesting point of view character, and is one of the exceedingly rare Ryukishi characters who isn’t portrayed very sympathetically at all despite struggling with his own pain and issues. Actually, Hikaru fills a sort of niche that I don’t believe many Ryukishi characters at all do. There’s some characters that are complete monsters and seemingly evil just 'cuz such as Teppei from Higurashi, or characters who do awful things but are written with some degree of sympathy and understanding (while still being held accountable for their actions at the same time) like virtually everyone from Umineko, but Hikaru’s treatment by the narrative is closer to “We know you have your reasons, but whatever, you’re a piece of crap, no compassion or lionizing for you.” It’s a sort of ruthlessness that the normally sentimental Ryukishi doesn’t show often. Maybe he just really likes bunnies and has no sympathy for people who harm them. <.<

7 Likes

Yeah, like you said it was a very different kind of villain for Ryukishi this time. This was a genuinely evil child. I think it’s very interesting that he chose a child - rather than an adult - to be a true embodiment of that ‘irrational evil intent’. I think this has come up in Ryukishi’s works before, but kids are much more capable of evil and cruelty than society gives them credit for. This chapter really gets inside the head of how a child can learn to rationalise cruelty. At least as adults, many of us have had it beaten into us after various experiences, what it means to do evil and to be immoral. But young children have no concept of good or evil outside of what they’re told and see as they grow older. It could be argued that children are much more capable of cruelty and malice because they lack the experiences, or the mental development to properly empathise with others and understand pain, and the value of life. I guess if he were an adult, we would call him a sociopath. I’m sure Ryukishi has encountered some pretty messed up kids like this in his life. Is it possible he could’ve been saved? Maybe, maybe not. That’s something most of society seems to agree on: it’s never too late to save a child. But who can really say if there was any hope of redemption for Hikaru after the depths he reached. Say what you will about Kanamori; at least he fully understood how irredeemable his actions were and how much suffering he was causing. It was too easy for Hikaru to dissociate from his sins by using the childish logic “they’re just rabbits”.

There’s a lot to say about this chapter (part of why I enjoyed it so much), but yeah, this is a really brutal one, harkening back to the atmosphere of the first chapter. The only silver lining we have is that the culprits got what they deserved. And well, I guess we needed an opportunity for Higanbana to go all-out and really show off some of her brutality. Got pretty damn gorey in the end.

Here’s some of my screens and livetweets.

I really did dig how this chapter kinda gets a bit more into the politics of the Youkai (never thought that’s a sentence I’d use). Even in this apparent closed circle that accepts each other (or do they?) there’s a bit of infighting. This chapter almost feels like a small declaration of war. I hope we meet more of these Youkai, this overaching narrative has me kind of interested for more.

Oh one more thing… Am I just confused? I thought Higanbana was the Youkai of the Nurse’s office, not the Staff Room…

Higanbana - The First Night_2017-09-02_02-38-45

5 Likes

Higanbana is indeed the Youkai of the infirmary. I think she called herself the “Dancing Higanbana of the Staff Room” because they where in the staff room at the moment and not in the music room, which Hameln needed to be in to be able to use his powers. Higanbana seems to be powerful enough to be able to use her powers even in rooms not associated with her story.

1 Like

I think @Aspirety summed up most of my thoughts on this chapter pretty well. i was particularly surprised by the ending, and not just because we had a Monty Python-esque killer rabbit moment (she tore that dude’s guts out through his mouth it was amazing) but because the villain wasn’t redeemed by the end. i fully expected a similar ending to Episode 2 where everyone learns from their mistakes and become better people, but Hikaru just couldn’t even consider apologizing. His world-view just couldn’t comprehend that he might be in the wrong. His fatal flaw is his ego, as is Hameln’s. They both are uncompromising and ambitious in their killing and this is what ultimately leads to Higanbana’s killing them.

This may be the first chapter that pokes holes in my “every Youkai relates to a certain type of tragic fate in the school” theory. I thought that Higanbana would only be related to members of the school who committed suicide and though she didn’t consume Hikaru she still damned him to an, uh, uncomfortable fate at the hands of his previous victims. I could also take the extra rabbit corpses to be a violation of my theory but it’s entirely possible that the rabbits bred more of their kind, not a great explanation I know but it’s what springs to mind after Hikaru dismissed it as foolish.

Also I found it very interesting that Halemn shares my thoughts that the 8 Youkai aren’t exercising the full potential power of a demon. If they were able to truly wield their Youkai powers in public they could have the whole world under their thumb. Higanbana almost immediately puts both villains in their place, (damn I love her) but I’m looking forward to an in-fiction explanation for why the Youkai don’t extend beyond the school.

@Chaos_Alfa Yeah Higanbana’s pretty subtly sarcastic in this scene. Even when she seems to be losing she’s mocking her opponent. Reminds me of a certain fan-wielding Aunt…

1 Like

I’m not at the end yet so I won’t post my thoughts yet nor will I read the topic, but just something I noticed:

comic112

I feel that teachers here is too specific. Now, I don’t know any Japanese, so it could very well be that this is actually this specific in the original, and furthermore, even if it’s indeed an error, it’s probably a major pain in the ass to fix this and probably too much effort, but I just wanted to let someone know in case it actually isn’t that hard to make a new patch or something. I think @Yirba was part of the localisation team, so uhh, again, just letting you know.

Now I finished. And it was pretty great. While you all were pretty quick to lable Hikaru as pure evil, I more saw this chapter as pointing out that the whole bullying and being bullied isn’t as black and white as we often like to think. What I did wonder after the teacher gave his speech was just how much of Hikaru being bullied was indirectly Hikaru’s own fault. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that Hikaru’s super innocent, I’m just saying that I don’t quite buy him being a sociopath, as @Aspirety put it.

But let me talk about a different aspect. And that is the character Hameln, or precisely the inspiration for both his name and his tale. Let me tell you a story, one that is considered a folktale, or perhaps legend, in Germany:

I think the parallels are obvious. What I find interesting though is that the Youkai Hameln aspires to become more than just a small rumor at a school, he wants to become a legend, much like the pied piper from the story above. I think this is part of the reason Ryukishi chose to base a character on not only a famous folktale, but one that probably isn’t as well known in Japan.

3 Likes

Ohhh, I’m familiar with this story, but I didn’t make the connection! I seee, that explains his origin! It also explains why his character profile (revealed after you finish the game) says he originally used a pipe. I wonder if this story is popular in Japan at all?

I wonder if this chapter was particularly liked or disliked when it came out? I can see it being controversial. @MrDent @Yirba maybe you guys could shed some light on its initial reception?

2 Likes

Wow this chapter really shows this bullying chain, strong bully weak and weak bully even weaker.
But that’s selfish, because they are not responsible for your weakness.
At first seeing everything from Hikaru’s perspective you kinda feel sorry and pity for him, because he doesn’t have any friends. But after that talk with teacher, I don’t really sympathize with him anymore. I mean throwing out someone’s work, nice way to make friends! He himself started this bullying chain and does nothing to end it, yet blames everyone for having no friends. Teacher kind of gives him last chance (well, despite killing 4 kida already, but still) he refuses it! Selfish!
ALSO CHANGE YOUR HAIRCUT, FOR THE SAKE OF GOD!!!
The ending was pretty predictable, but it still was epic and enjoyable. You reap what you saw, Hikaru. That’s karma for you!

(I bet Higanbunny is really cute :hauu:)
(Holy shit, that epic song. Higanbunny is the true mvp.)

Insert Jojo joke.

тттт

ICONIC.

2 Likes

This chapter is probably my second favorite of the whole Higanbana, only behind the powerful “Utopia”.

The maestry with which Ryukishi executes the storytelling, powered by the espectacularly claustrophobic and tension-filled atmosphere, much well paired with one of the better uses of the ever so melancholic-and-yet-disturbing tracks from the Higanbana’s OST that were used in here.

Also one of the darkest chapters, given the sociopathic perspective of the said protagonist of this tale becoming increasingly more insane and grudge-filled given his background with bullying and his well recently adquired supernatural helping hand.

And that magnificent karmatic ending was just so poetically fitting too!

While it isn’t the most message-driven chapter of Higanbana (which is pretty much one good anthology of short tales surrounding a profound analysis of the “bullying in school” theme, most likely developed by Ryukishi’s own personal experience as a social worker), it surely is one of the most memorable and chilling ones, in my honest opinion.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about how this chapter was received, unfortunately. I don’t think it was controversial, or received especially differently than the other chapters. I’m sorry, I don’t think I have anything to say about this.

Oh dear manga reading sage, I come before you with a question:

“Did the manga stoop low enough to (attempt to) make the ‘raped by rabbits’ thing lewd?”

That story is missing in the manga, they skip straight to “Utopia” after “The Princess’ Lie”.

1 Like

Yep. I’m not sure they would have tried, anyways, given that Hikaru’s a dude. They didn’t perv on Takeshi, so…

So we are introduced in this chapter to Hikaru Nihei, a boy who is quiet and gets top grades in his class. He is in charge of taking care of the rabbits at his school. I was lead to believe that he was a good boy through the narrative, but I was wrong. Instead, he finds catharsis in abusing these poor rabbits. This already is disgusting behavior, and perhaps one of the hardest things I’ve had to read about in this story so far.

So when Marie finds out what he’s doing, he lashes out on her. At this point, I have no sympathy for Hikaru, and I’ve learned to appreciate Marie more as a character. Despite the bullying and trauma she endured, Marie has a good heart with good intentions, unlike Hikaru, who let his bullying corrupt him. It makes me happy that she wants nothing but the best and seems to see the best in other people, even when they do not see it themselves.

She puts up with his anger before he scares her off, and just as Hikaru is about to leave we’re introduced to Hameln, a rather new youkai who wants Hikaru to spread his story throughout the school. Hameln encourages Hikaru to spread his story throughout the school, and in exchange, promises to help Hikaru by turning his bullies into rabbits to abuse, rather than the “innocent” ones in the pens.

wrong

Wrong. The killing of “immoral rabbits” is still murder, and Higanbana seems to warn Hikaru that he should really consider the consequences of how serious his actions really are, something that Hikaru let get to him. After all, he truly had no consequence to face, as he had the charity of having his bullies turned into rabbits. She forced him to relive his murderous intent upon his bullies, as humans, and even Hikaru was overwhelmed with the repulsion of his actions, and later his karmatic ending.

I hated this edgelord. So repulsive.

3 Likes

Out of the first five, this is definitely my favourite.

I loved the way Hikaru was developed from being a poor bullied kid to a cold-hearted rabbit abuser and then to a full-fledged sociopath who never understood the consequences of his actions, judging himself to be better than anyone else, a role model, the perfect student, the only one in pain. I’m really happy about the ending he got.

It’s sad that Hameln dared to challenge Higanbana-sama, he seemed funny. But now it seems the plot is gradually thickening as we can see Marie caused quite the commotion as the 8th school mystery. Will we ever find out who is that being wanting to ward her off? I’m incredibly excited for this.

Higanbana-sama is so lovely, in this chapter I really could grow to love her personality even more. The way she mischievously advised Hikaru about what he was doing and the way she punished him for not being capable of comprehending his sin even after being explicitly shown what he had done was splendid and befitting for a character like her, since Marie probably wouldn’t be able to do it. Speaking of which, I kinda missed her in this chapter, it would be nicer if she had appeared more.

Anyways, this is probably the most desired bad ending Ryukishi might have done. I don’t think anyone who read this chapter would disagree with the need of that.

3 Likes

This chapter is well constructed. The pacing at which information is revealed was spot on for maximum impact. The first thing we have is the horrific scene at the rabbit pen where 4 rabbits have been tortured death or near death. We then meet Hikaru. Hikaru is presented to us as mild mannered boy who endures the bullying of the class calmly even though he clearly bothered by it. We know he was the caregiver of the rabbits and at this point the reader is trying to make the connection between Hikaru’s bullying and his rabbit pen. He seems upstanding - so the tendency is going to be to wonder if the rabbit pen was aimed at him.

But then it is revealed he has been taking out his frustration by torturing the rabbits he has been charged with taking care of. This instantly puts a new perspective on Hikaru for the reader - he stops just being a victim but also a perpetrator of bullying. We the reader also have to face the thought that the most plausible perpetrator for the horror at the opening of the chapter is Hikaru himself. We the reader have a character who is seemingly barreling down a terrible path of senseless violence put here because of ostracization and bulling.

After a scene where Hikaru lashes out and projects a bunch of his insecurities on Marie, who probably would have been largely sympathetic to him, Hamlen shows up and they enter into an agreement. Hamlen will turn his tormentors into rabbits, so that the rabbits he is torturing are no longer innocent but actually the objects of Hikaru’s pent up anger. I think this moment in the story is when the story says Hikaru reached irredeemability. He rejects Marie who is a force of compassion in the story, and instead is easily lured down the path of revenge. We as readers can make the connection that rabbits at the start were actually humans. We see Hikaru as an irredeemable murderer, who has become worse than anything that ever happened to him. He is the most terrible sort by-product of the cruelty of society.

But that isn’t even the final re-frame of Hikaru. After he has killed his classmates-turned-rabbits it is revealed in the scene between Hikaru and the Principal that the incident that triggered the bullying - the bullying that is currently framed as the reason Hikaru started down this dark path - was that Hikaru was bullying his classmate and being an honest to good braggart asshole. And he has at no point taken time to reflect on how his actions then led him to current situation, or even made enough of a connection to label his actions as bullying. No Hikaru is surely the Irrational Evil Intent mentioned earlier in the story, he considers his violent actions blameless, but any slight against him is full on sin.

By controlling the timing of the information in this way we the readers experience the “decent” of Hikaru, who was basically already evil from the start. And I do think we are supposed to think of Hikaru as unsavable evil. I think this especially because of the scene where he rejects Marie - the symbol of Student Savior for the reader - but also because of the specific reveal that Hikaru lacked the ability to reflect on his own hubris. If you look at the most comparable character so far - Takeshi - you can see clearly that Takeshi remained “good” despite the sin of his past and his immature ideals because when push came to shove he could see how he had been wrong and genuinely wanted to make amends.

In a story that is largely about bullying in general, this is an interesting short to appear. Again, it is really very clear that Ryuukishi has spent a lot of time reflecting on bullying as phenomenon and its effects. The interesting thing here in particular is that the first bullies we encounter in this story used bulling to ostracize Irrational Evil from their society. Which if you think of ostracization through history, this is its social function. Its basically a lizzard brain way people deal with deviation from norm and protecting ones in-group from potential threats. It is usually presented as something more terrible than the crime that incurs it warrants, something that occurs unjustly to good people who dared to be a little different. Modern stories thrive on the narrative of the weird one no one likes secretly being the righteous hero. But here we see a case of the classmates scorn being “correct” in that they may have very well been reacting to that irrational evil intent that was Hikaru reflexively. And it is shown that it is likely Hikaru would not have had the guts/stomach to kill humans without the demons delusion, so if he had never made an agreement with Hamlen Irrational Evil Intent would have been contained to the rabbit pen. What do we as readers feel about their bullying in light of Hikaru’s true nature?

Practically speaking ostracization and bullying are bad. They are often applied to groups and people who do not even approach deserving it. These tendencies are in line with those that have spurred the greatest conflicts of our time, and we should be trying to harder to at least tolerate each other. And even though I still firmly think this afterward, here we are also having to face the fact that even if we aim to create a society that tries to save everyone, reality is that not everyone can be saved.

Hikaru is punished by Higanbana, forced to face the reality of his crimes and then seemingly doomed to a lifetime of rape at the hands of the most innocent of his victims. I was hoping he would be torn apart by them when it reached this point. This is worse, and a lot more horrifying. I It was another really good use of information reveal honestly. By ending the chapter with Hikaru’s punishment instead of any kind of a short epilogue scene Ryukishi is intentionally ending the story in a way where he wants the readers to reflect on the implications of characters like Hikaru and come to their own conclusions as opposed to offering a solution through narrative. In a society where we do not have demons who can punish evil with magic maybe there is no solution for people like Hikaru?

8 Likes

Lately, real life has kept me from finishing this. Not only that, I’ve also been holding off on reading the whole thing for a few years because finishing this would mean one less series by Ryukishi that I have left to read, so holding off on it was also my way of avoiding the fact that I’ve run out of 07th works to read. But I’ll try to continue, especially now that there’s a community that I finally can start to share my thoughts with. Even though I feel like I won’t have much new to really add when so much has probably been said already, maybe my intial reaction to some scenes can still amuse some people.
Alright. That’s enough about me, onto my thoughts on this chapter.

After finishing the previous chapter’s story that ended on a somewhat positive and lighter note, I had a feeling that it just meant things were about to get a whole lot worse following it. The beginning of this chapter immediately starts with a gruesome scene of butchered rabbits and shocked children gathering around, leaving me very uneasy with how quickly my suspicions were confirmed. The closest I would have experienced this in my personal life as a young schoolkid was when we crowded around a single dead bird in the schoolyard not too far from the jungle gym. It was sad and we felt bad that there was nothing we could do other than create a small grave for it with the assistance of a teacher, but I can’t imagine how I would react and feel if it was as horrid of a sight as this chapter’s introduction at that age.
Thanks, Ryukishi.

When Hikaru’s cruel treatment of the rabbits was revealed, I couldn’t sympathize with him as well as the others. Even though he’s being bullied and knows how terrible it is, he thinks it’s justified with how he can abuse the rabbits, which doesn’t make him much better in my eyes. Deep down he knows this, and Hameln points it out as well. But then I found it interesting what Hameln tempted Hikaru with. I wondered, would getting back at his bullies if they’re harmless rabbits really be fair? It’s still fighting bullying with bullying, but what if abusing them as helpless rabbits and turning them back to normal worked and ended things? Or would Hikaru even go as far as killing them, which would make him far worse than his tormentors that didn’t lay a finger on him?
But then there was something else that was suspicious to me: when Hameln hinted that rats weren’t the only animal he coul transform his victims, it brought to mind the scene in beginning when the teachers swore there were more rabbits in the cage than usual. I wasn’t completely sure if that event had already happened or not at that point in the story and I didn’t want to go back and check, so the only way to confirm was to keep reading…
One certainly doesn’t have to be a youkai to be monstrous in Higanbana. Even after going as far as brutally murdering his bullies, he was still fine with killing even more of his classmates, and he’s so cold about it that he sees nothing wrong with it because they’re turned into rabbits. Chilling. I was expecting another chapter with a bullied child to be helped in some way, but this ended up twisting one into something worse. Still, I thought, for even Hikaru to be unsettled by someone colder than him in their expression really speaks for Higanbana. And… this episode really demonstrated her cruelty and how much of a coward Hikaru really is. Having him re-experience killing his classmates but as humans was an excellent way to make him realize his own wrongdoings and cockiness, but it didn’t stop there. I don’t think I can speak for this being fair treatment for Hikaru when things have gotten this extreme, but I believe Higanbana makes a strong point about having the intention to kill should also mean you’re prepared to be killed. Actions have consequences. So far this has been my favorite chapter of the 1st Night.

One more thing I’d like to mention is how the sound of the castanets is one example of why I enjoy these Sound Novels. I believe sound is a very important part of horror when used well. Pairing unsettling music, ambience, sound effects, and even abrupt moments of silence with a scary story can make for a really effective combo. It really drives up the suspense and puts you on edge, especially when a new sound or track plays, or even if something familiar is heard once again. Even if Ryukishi’s art isn’t his strong point, the emphasis on Sound instead of Visuals works well in his horror stories.

5 Likes

Hikaru is a true villain protagonist. I think Ryukishi plays it well because you, as a reader, want to identify and sympathize with the protagonist, so when it’s hard it’s quite the conflict.

5 Likes

Ryukishi does a great job with villainous characters, protagonists and antagonists. The levels of cruelness, cleverness, and some exaggeration while still keeping things human and realistic to a degree really makes them memorable and entertaining. I would even say writing those characters are one of his strongest points.

4 Likes