Higurashi TV Drama

Not to be confused with the movies, if that wasn’t already clear. :laughing:

The live action tv drama twitter updated today with a new visual, release date (5/20) as well as confirming that they will be adapting the first three arcs (Onikakushi, Watanagashi, Tatarigoroshi) in six one-hour long episodes.

Looking at this new visual, I have new found hope for this drama. The cast actually look like their characters this time! :smile:

5 Likes

I’m tentatively looking forward to it. They also announced a theme song called ‘Kimi ha doko ni iru (Where Are You?)’

I like the visual. Everyone looks like the characters without going too overboard (like with, say, blue and green wigs and such).

3 Likes

I’m kinda lukewarm about this. On one hand, I can actually recognize the characters, so it seems like a step up from the movie. In particular, I’ll give Ooishi an honorable mention, because he is the type of character who can do really well in a live action. However, the fact they’re not adapting the answer arcs (correct me if I am wrong) makes me raise an eyebrow, since that is where all the best scenes are.

Besides, when are we going to get an Umineko adaption?

It makes sense for them not to adapt the answer arcs if they’re trying to appeal to a different kind of audience. With the first half it can be seen as a thriller, horror, mystery. Once you get into the answer arcs you are way beyond that, and it could even be hard to pull off in that kind of medium.

I’m pretty sure they will be adapting Kai at some point (unless the show is really badly received, maybe?), because the script writer said something about how Satoshi hadn’t been cast yet. Also, I doubt they would go to the trouble of casting Hanyuu just to give her a tiny cameo in the question arcs.

2 Likes

I think the reason the Answer arcs will not work live action on television is for a few reasons.

Massive spoilers:

[spoiler]Firstly, the answer routes are visually more graphic. The question arcs do not show much violence. Sure, you have Keiichi getting nailed by Mion and stabbed, but they are not fatal, and furthermore aren’t any more violent than anything you’d see on another TV drama. Sure, Keiichi kills Tepei (uncle), but that’s through blunt force alone.

The real violence begins in the answer arcs, where a 9 year old, Rika, repeatedly stabs herself in the head otherwise gets her stomach ripped open and organs pulled out, fatal lobotomies without anesthesia, a 12 year old girl, Rena, strangles a woman to death and chops up her limbs, then proceeds to go crazy and smashes a child’s face with a CLEAVER, then there’s the part where Shion repeatedly stabs and kills Satoko while she’s begging her brother. And that dreaded nail scene…

Then there are the issues that Higurashi Kai might be too offensive for public television. F

Firstly, the climax of Tsumihoroboshi, where Rena takes a school hostage in a situation comparable to Columbine, would be incredibly offensive to the “general” audience. I don’t know what things are like in Japan, but I can confirm here in the West it would offend a lot of people to have it play on public television. While the scene did get a pass in the movie (I think?), there is no way it could air on public television.

Secondly, it shows a lot of underage kids being tortured and killed with very cruel violence. Again, I do not know what things are like in Japan, but here in the West, people don’t seem to tolerate violent depictions of children, otherwise the rating of their work goes way up to AO territory. It’s for the same reason you do not see any children inside Grand Theft Auto.

Third, Higurashi itself deals with contemporary political issues that might be too sensitive for a general audience. Japanese nationalism, American occupation, etc…

Lastly, the most controversial part of Higurashi yet: “Religion is a disease.” The very premise of Hinamizawa Syndrome itself would make the general audience flip their shit.

Even if subject matter doesn’t offend people, Higurashi Kai is still considerably more expensive to produce relative to the Question Arcs.

In the original question arcs, most of the plot was self-contained to Hinamizawa and a very small cast of characters. For set pieces, you had Keiichi’s house, Sonozaki residence, Rena’s junkyard, the Furude Shrine, Festival, school, general village scenery, Irie clinic, baseball field, library, and Mion’s game shop. Maybe one or two more.

But the answer arcs had much more broad set pieces, like a huge forest scene when Shion is escaping her boarding school, an expansion of the Sonozaki estate and tunnels, surgical rooms, computer rooms, orphanage, the outdoors of that orphanage, more cafes, rooftops, hills, roads, the places Takano was when meeting with members of TOKYO, Takano’s home, expansion of Irie clinic, house place where Rika met the village elders, and so on… and so on… and don’t forget the meta-world where they have to do all sorts of CGI!

Higurashi Kai would also require significantly more actors to play new characters. Keep in mind Higurashi Kai had many spriteless characters who would need real actors inside the live action.
[/spoiler]

I don’t know how much passion is going into the live-action. But assuming that it’s just a cash-grab, they have no reason to do Higurashi Kai.

On the other hand, if they do a decent job, I’ll eat my words. I do hope there is passion behind this!

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, it looks like the show is going to be rated PG12, and they aren’t showing the first episode for free like they originally planned.

PG12, Not sure what to make of that. :sweat_smile:

Have another shot of the girls~

2 Likes

Well they got the uniforms accurate :sweat_smile:

More photos from the twitter page!

It seems like it’s Satoko’s (well her actor) birthday!

3 Likes

Oh man that Satoko is crazy! Best character gets an equally cool actress to play the part

2 Likes

Teaser released!!

Everyone, get excited!

1 Like

Just watched episode 1, the editing and acting was clearly made to be similar to an anime, but that’s simply not going to work in real life. It could be could be worse than some cringe worthy editing I suppose. But if the RL version looks, sounds and cuts like an anime, you could just watch the anime instead.

They also use this disgusting filter for evening scenes, and that happens a lot.

4 Likes

where did you watch it? i google it only found the Rena scene part
I know right, I’m not Satisfied with the cinematography too. it can be more good if they do another angle and shoot. also Rena Acting is kinda… idk… i can feel Rena in her.
oh my god i’m sorry i can’t hold myself not to comment about the technical stuff oTL
well it still episode 1 i hope it getting better…

but anyway this part is freak me out…
warning : jumpscare pic?

Man, the drama really does seem to go at the pace as the anime. I was waiting for certain parts to show, but guess it wasn’t meant to be. :stuck_out_tongue:

There hasn’t been a lot of Orange filters this episode so that was nice.

The last scene with Ooishi and Keiichi was great! I really liked the acting in that scene. I also felt a bit uncomfortable with the phone booth scene since I’m not that much of a gore fan, just hearing those sound effects made me cringe. It was good! xD

Alrighty! So the drama ended and it really surprised me.

Onikakushi, I was pretty skeptical about it, but Watanagashi blew me away. They hinted towards future arcs with Shion hearing the footsteps while also thinking if Satoshi was the ones making them in the Saiguden.

They even used Dai’s music. I can name the ones they used since the Answer Arc OST is my jam. Confession, Feel, Kage, Iru, and a new rendition of YOU

I really liked how they kept some scenes that weren’t in the anime. With the doll scene and emphasizing Keiichi’s feelings to saving Satoko. I was surprised when Teppei kicked Satoko in front of Keiichi and he fought back. Like I’m pretty sure that really wasn’t in the VN. Though Ryukishi tweeted that Tatarigoroshi-hen part 1, he had a hand on the screenplay.

I recommend giving this drama a try. Watanagashi and Tatarigoroshi made it worth it. Tatarigoroshi made my love for Satoko come back after a long time.

Meakashi & Tsumihoroboshi have been confirmed for November.

I guess they’re skipping Himatsubushi-hen.

3 Likes

I’d like to interject, Mion doesn’t have the gun

She doesn’t have the gun when wearing her uniform :stuck_out_tongue: Only during casual clothes

At least the acting can never be an anime-ish as it was in Orange. Now that’s a film where they were just completely channeling their inner anime.

Even though Kai starts airing next month, they’ve been strangely secretive about it. While the question arcs were in development, they were constantly tweeting on-set photos and other teasers, which I really enjoyed. In contrast, I think for Kai we’ve gotten exactly one photo, and the twitter account hasn’t updated since July 1st.