Introduce Yourself!

Ah, thatā€™s right. (Also messaging @Clover_Zero)
You two should contact Star if you have any questions about the site. Iā€™m also the self-appointed Virgillia of this place, so you can always ask me about any topics of interest you might have or want to create, as in your Apprentice status, you cannot make any threads.

Here is our Discord channel by the way: Rokkenjima Discord Chat
As well as the access code: Rokkenjima Discord Chat

I think itā€™s about time I introduce myself. Hello everybody, my name is HoneyComb. Nice to meet you all. My hobbies are anime, manga, vnā€™s, and games. Favorite manga is One Piece and favorite anime is Code Geass.

Iā€™ve already forgotten how I discovered this site, but regardless, Iā€™m glad I did. I havenā€™t posted much myself yet but Iā€™ve really enjoyed reading other peopleā€™s comments and thoughts. Thanks Aspirety and moderators for making this place and keeping up such a good atmosphere.

So, so far Iā€™ve read most of what I can by 07th expansion, but Iā€™m still missing a few. Iā€™ve seen both Higurashi and Umineko and Iā€™ve read (manga) the first arcs for both of those. Iā€™ve read (vn) all of higurashi but Iā€™m in desperate need of a re-read. Iā€™ve read 7 episodes of Umineko. I stopped at 7 because, at the time, I was having so much fun with the series, I just didnā€™t want it to end. I stopped so I could always have the last episode to fall back on when I needed my fix again. Iā€™ve read the first higanbana night, still need the second night. And Iā€™m currently reading Rose Guns Days; Iā€™m on the fourth season. Oh and Luciaā€™s route in rewrite too. Obviously my favorite route as well.

I have to say, I was really surprised with the tone change in the later parts of Rose Guns Days. I know Ryukishi has written some extremely sad things before, but from what I can remember itā€™s never been enough to make me cry; twice at that. If anyone here hasnā€™t read Rose Guns Days, I highly recommend it. It might not be a higurashi/umineko plot, but Ryukishi shines just as much as usual in it.

Again, nice to meet everybody. I see the tea party is going on and Iā€™d like to join in, but that all depends on if I can give myself some time to re-read. Iā€™ll do my best/

12 Likes

Jibun wo sekai sae mo kaete shimaesou na shunkan wa itsumo sugu soba ni!
Whenever I see Code Geass thatā€™s the first thing I think of! Well, that and the fact that Iā€™m super excited for season 3!

Welcome to our happy little tiny fragment we call home. We absolutely welcome you to join in our tea parties, as well as the podcasts that come with them! I see you really liked Rose Guns Days, huh? I still need to finish it myself. Iā€™m still reading Rose Guns Days, and Iā€™m towards the beginning, so things are rather jovial at the moment. Iā€™m interested to see when exactly that all changesā€¦

I completely understand your feelings when it comes to Umineko. I didnā€™t want it to end either, but do not despair! As you may or may not be aware, the next when they cry has been announced! All we know about it is this teaser page. I donā€™t know about you, but my little grey cells are itching just thinking about the possibilities the next WTC will bring us.

It was nice to meet you! I hope you enjoy your stay! If youā€™re often on the go, I recommend joining in the Discord. Itā€™s a nice way to get to know everyone! Itā€™s also nice because Discord is a mobile app, so you can chat even when you are on the go!

3 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Impaired. I live in the province of Saskatchewan in Canada and I discovered Higurashi through being recommended the manga by a friend of mine back in late 2015. I got hooked immediately and finished the series by the end of the year. I consider it to be my all-time favourite work of fiction, and Rena is one of my all-time favourite fictional characters. I first discovered Umineko through looking up other works by Ryukishi07 back then but didnā€™t experience it until chapters 1-4 were released on Steam.

I found the forums through a Tea Party podcast being posted to the /r/visualnovels subreddit. Some other interests of mine include Danganronpa (my avatar probably tipped that off), animation in general, and classical music. I hope to get to know everyone, and maybe I could experience Umineko chapters 5-8 with others here.

9 Likes

We all hope the same thing, so welcome here. Right now weā€™re having the Himatsubushi Tea Party, so Iā€™d be glad if you leave your thoughts for that as well. As you seem to have finished Higurashi, the full series spoilers topic would probably be the one youā€™d be posting in. It should be pinned, so not hard to find. Iā€™m not linking it because Iā€™m one of those few Higurashi newbies and thus naturally donā€™t want to be spoiled.

2 Likes

Hello, Impaired! Welcome to Rokkenjima! As Vyse says, we are currently in the midst of Himatsubushi! That means you can hang out with others who have already read Higurashi and talk about the abundance of hints that can be easily missed on your initial read, as well as theories you have about the overall Higurashi universe! Or you can [mess with the newbies] (Higurashi Ch. 4 Himatsubushi Spoiler-Free General),
(like Vyse :wink:) by throwing out ridiculous theories to distract them from the truth! Participating in the tea party can win you a prize! And if you want to join the podcasts that come after the tea parties, please join in! I imagine soon after Himatsubushiā€™s tea party ends we will move on to End of the Golden Witch.

1 Like

Not just speculation. Iā€™d also like the veterans to get involved in the Tea Parties through reflection and analysis of the work. Higurashi is more than just a mystery!

Hope you enjoy your stay, will be great to have you for the Umineko Tea Parties once Chiru launches!

2 Likes

Good day, Itā€™s HatsuneNiku (more like just Niku, actually? not sureā€¦), 27 years old, computer systems engineer (almost, still fighting with the university for my papers). A newbie to the whole visual novels world despite being introduced to it almost a decade ago, I have been exposed to many but have actually played a few, my first couple were School Days and Chaos;Head.

I was introduced to 07th expansion works by Higurashi anime (actually it was the soundtrack which lead me to the anime but it is basically the same) and I really loved the twists, ashamed that the major anime community only remembers it as some gore series. It eventually lead me to the Umineko anime which became my favorite for a long time, I think I watched it over 3 times while introducing it to friends and my sister. It all changed when my Girlfriend pushed me into read more VNs.

As I introduced her to the umineko anime and she to Fate/Stay Night, she encouraged me to try the ā€˜rest of the storyā€™ (umineko chiru) to know what actually happens later and we read it together for the next weeks. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I have to quote from Aspiretyā€™s blog when I say that ā€˜Itā€™s not just a storyā€¦ Itā€™s an experience that sticks with you wherever you goā€™, I have yet to fully understand to what extent Umineko has changed the way I see the world and I live my life, it has expanded my borders, it has changed my goals and has ultimately made me a happier person. I laught, I cried, I bite my lips and I could not believe my eyes in this roller coaster that was to read this work.

Of course the umineko 5-8 episodes were the first actual ā€œreadā€ I gave to it but with itā€™s english release on steam I also read the question chapters. I also bought Higurashi on steam but I have yet to finish the first game.

I found about Rokkenjima by, precisely, @Aspirety 's blog, it gave me a lot of good reads and I finally decided to give it a try to this forum with the hopes of find nice discussions and make good friends.

As for interests outside 07th expansion I am really into the Fate series (gonna start reading Ataraxia soon and playing Fate / Grand order while writing this), Vocaloid (Miku is my muse), Card games and Real Time Strategy games. I love boardgames in general too and I really enjoy what I do for a career. Althought before all this I am a peopleā€™s person, I love to connect with people, to socialize, and while I am an introvert at my core I really look for meeting new people with similar interests.

I hope to find a place for myself in this site, and to help to make of Rokkenjima a healthy, serious and fun community. Thank you for existing in a moment when I thought the Umineko english fanbase was non-existent.

17 Likes

Hey Niku, Iā€™m a bit busy at the moment but on behalf on everyone here welcome to Rokkenjima!
I see that youā€™ve already are interested in our Discord chat, but Iā€™d say that the home site is pretty rad also so donā€™t forget to check out and comment on the various topics here-especially since you cannot create threads just yet.
Anyway, hereā€™s the link to the Discord thread: Rokkenjima Discord Chat The access link should be toward the bottom.

Thank you very much Pandoraā€¦! And yeah I was earlier tempted by the Discord channel, I will join it shortly, looking forward to meet you all.

Welcome to Rokkenjima, Niku! Although Iā€™ve been beaten to be the first to welcome you, I canā€™t help but do it anyway. Youā€™re certainly not the only one whose life has been changed from reading Umineko, as it certainly has for myself and many others. Iā€™m also stuck on reading the first chapter of Higurashiā€¦ maybe someday. Itā€™s also good to see youā€™ve read through the blog, Iā€™m sure @Aspirety appreciates it.

As for your other interestsā€¦ there are a few people here quite well versed in fate, and I myself have read Fate/Stay Night, and Tsukihime. Also may try Grand Order when the English release happens relatively soon. Iā€™m also a big Vocaloid fan, although I donā€™t follow it that much, I have a few of the games on my Vita and listen to plenty of musicā€¦ Kagamine Twins are my favorite, though Miku is awesome too. Iā€™m curious as to what card games you play, I myself mostly play Yugioh with a few people on here, and at locals.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find plenty of interesting and great people here, since we all have a lot in common, I hope you enjoy your stay, and youā€™ll certainly find your place here, welcome to the tea party.

2 Likes

Hello there Niku, welcome to Rokkenjima! You seem very opinionated and enthusiastic about 07th Expansion as a whole, so it should be very fun having discussions with you on it and I very much enjoyed how well you articulated your introduction, too. This is a pretty interesting little forum and it has mostly serious discussions, unlike some other forums Iā€™ve seen, so youā€™ll find just what youā€™re looking for here, I suppose. :slight_smile:

Hello, everyone.

Where in the world do you live?

Right now, I am living in a share-house in Saitama, Japan near the Nishi Kawaguchi station. I am not a native, though. I am an American. Specifically Iā€™m from Maryland near Washington DC.

What 07th Expansion seriesā€™ have you read/watched? Which was your first, and which is your favourite?

Umineko and Higurashi. I first discovered 07th Expansion through the Higurashi anime. That brutal beating right at the start got my attention, and as the story became more complex and convoluted I became more and more hooked. I prefer Umineko, though. That one taught me how to actually approach and enjoy a mystery story, and I think Ryukishi had a lot more interesting things to say about the nature of belief and faith there which he only lightly touched on in Higurashi.

How did you find Rokkenjima?

I was googling aroung, wondering if there was an inspirational island for Rokkenjima in Umineko the same way Hinamizawa was blatantly copied from a real village in Japan. If there were, I would totally want to visit it in early October, just to say that I did.

What are some of your interests outside of 07th Expansion?

Anime in general, of course. I like the more mature shows like Ghost in the Shell, Madoka Magica, etc. I also love D&D and other table-top board games. Iā€™m not as malicious about it as Erika is, but I do like to try for unconventional and unexpected solutions that send the story in a direction the GM was not necessarily planning on.

BONUS OPTIONAL QUESTION:
Tell us something interesting about yourself, something about our website that interested you, or something funny.

Before I came to Japan, I was working in a tech support call center in North Carolina. The funny part is, after so much tech support got outsourced to India starting in the 90s, the call center I was at was actually part of an Indian company that needed native-born English speakers for customers who donā€™t like dealing with the Indian accent. I found that amusing, in a black comedy sort of way.

9 Likes

I really hope this is a reference to Witches & Woodlands! Maybe Iā€™m just the kind of person to search for references even when they donā€™t existā€¦

Welcome to Rokkenjima! If youā€™re super into table-top games, you may be interested in the Rokkenjima table-top simulator games that are occasionally hosted on our [discord!] (Rokkenjima Discord Chat) I think thereā€™s only been one game so far, but Iā€™m sure there will be more in the future if thereā€™s enough demand for it. We also have a Umineko Anime watch group! You can either laugh or cry at the Umineko anime, itā€™s really your choice.

Well, I did not originally intend it as a W&W reference, but I am certainly happy to retcon it into one. :wink: That was a fun one indeed.

1 Like

Greetings! I am Vezon! I am 27 from the USA. A pleasure to meet all of you! Iā€™ve been an avid fan of the Higurashi and Umineko series for a very long time. Having read the manga, endured/enjoyed the anime, and even joined the Umineko Online game, it is very nice to meet others with a similar interest.

3 Likes

Well, had an Umineko Anime watch group. We finished the anime (somehow). Though, I would be happy to do it again if anybody is interested.

1 Like

Welcome to Rokkenjima! We always enjoy meeting other fans of Higurashi and Umineko who love/have endured the series and I hope youā€™ll enjoy your stay here :joyful:

1 Like

Hello everibody, Iā€™m Giuseppe, Iā€™m 17 and Iā€™m from Italy (so sorry if I canā€™t speak english very well). I wached higurashi anime and I loved it (and it seems that none else know about when they cry here in Italy). I also watched umineko, but I think itā€™s not as good as higurashi. I hope to enjoy here :+1:

4 Likes

That is certainly true for the anime, however I do recommend you to read the VNs. Because both are amazing and I havenā€™t even finished both of them. Anyway, welcome to Rokkenjima! Hope youā€™ll enjoy it here.