It Ends In Our Home (Full Series Spoilers)

ends

This game is the finale to the ‘Home’ trilogy. Before playing this game, I ask you to read the first two gameboards: “IT IS IN OUR HOME” and “IT WALKS IN OUR HOME”. Attempting to read this without the proper context will make absolutely no sense.

This game is open to everyone. You did not have to participate in either of the gameboards to join in.

The matter at hand is simple.

Reach the truth of the first two games. All of the guarantees of the previous two games still apply to them, respectively.

Here?

Believe as you wish.

I give you the map, so you may be free to find the path.

Download the game here [pdf]: IT ENDS IN OUR HOME

(Apologies for all the typos in advance, I finished this extremely late and didn’t bother to proofread. Fingers crossed for the best; file size is a lot bigger than usual, as well. Apologies for that.)

This game contains full spoilers for the entire series!

1 Like

My 1st theory to start this offf is this: [color=blue] Ange did something to her face after the events of the trick ending, hence the need for bandages. Also her changing her name to Beatrice to trick the professer to get closer to him.

When the time for face surgery was needed, she visited the professer and murdered him either stealing things that were related to rokkenjima and shutting down the witch hunters.

Her Goals? to get Eva’s Dairy even it mean killing several people to get it as well as killing the golden land to bring her brother back to life[/color]

One thing I should probably make clear is that I won’t be responding to theories regarding this game in particular. You should discuss it, of course - I love seeing people openly speculate - but any and all conclusions you draw from it are entirely for you to use as you wish. The main objective is to solve the first two games.

This game is merely a tool to help you reach the truth.

Speaking of which, this thread will heneceforth be used to place theories on both games, just so we don’t needlessly clutter the forums and make it harder to keep track of points made across threads.

Well, just a simple theory, [Color=blue] Ange wanted to make Ootsuki, Ikuko and Tohya pay because they wrote stories about her family. When Tohya returned to being Battler, she had killed everyone she wanted to. [/color] The diary might be another motive as well.

First game.
The problem of the writing is solved by flipping the chessboard, uh?
These reds were given:
The ‘HA HA HA’ had not existed on Kinzo’s door when the door was looked at by Shannon and George as they searched the third floor.
the ‘HA HA HA’ was written on the door directly by hand.

Are Kinzo’s door and the study’s door the same thing? It was never specified. I’ll treat them like they are.

[Color=blue] The door where the HA HA HA was found has never been the study’s door to begin with. Sure, Shannon and George looked at the study’s door when searching the floor, but they looked at several doors, one of them was the study’s door. The door they saw was the study’s door, and the door that was there before was switched with the door the group saw. The door which was switched had the HA HA HA written on it with an invisible ink which made the writing visible over time, after George and Shannon had left, So the door on which the group saw the HA HA HA was not the study’s door, but a replacement.[/color]
Basically, the writing didn’t exist on the study’s door when George and Shannon searched, but it existed on the replacement door, which was switched with it.

As for the auto-lock, [Color=blue]the replacement door had an auto-lock too [/color] or [Color=blue]the doors were switched again and the HA HA HA written on the study’s door.[/color]

Also, Nanjo is the culprit in my opinion. It may seem too easy, but it would make sense if Kinzo told him about the poison, and he also knew George was ‘the Dying Child’.
He might have faked his death in both games (or killed himself at the end of game 1).
He was part of the group in game 1, so more suspicious, it was suggested the culprit was part of the group in game 1 because of the way those games were constructed, having different survivors, this was also noted in game 3.

Except…

If the culprit had the opportunity in which they could have switched the study door with another one sometime after George and Shannon looked at it, then… wouldn’t have such an opportunity allowed for them to just write the text?

And from that question, my bigger issue would be why the culprit would’ve even done such a thing in the first place. As in, what real-world benefit there would’ve been to replace the study door with a completely identical door and then writing the text on it?

What I’m saying is that the door was switched even before George and Shannon checked the floor.
It would look like this (very schematically), I apologise in advance, I’m so bad at this.

I don’t know how to save space, you can modify post if you want.

Where the study had the replacement door with the ink becoming visible over time, and the other room had the study’s door, which was looked at by George and Shannon, not contradicting the red.
After George and Shannon had left the floor time passed and the ink became visible.
Why switch the doors and not use invisible ink directly on the study’s door? Maybe this other door had some properties the study’s door didn’t have, which were useful to the culprit.

Making assumptions again, are we.

[color=red]The writing was not written with any sort of ink that would have gone from being invisible to being visible over time. The door to Kinzo’s study had never been taken off its hinges (the hinges for the door to the study) at any point.[/color]

Six-sided die.
Six books with numbers.
Did the culprit just use that to determine the theme each time? :glug:

1 Like

[color=blue]Nanjo drugged everyone’s food and weakened George with the chemo. He removed the barricade from the inside, carried everyone out, then re-entered the room. He put the barricade back, stabbed Kinzo, then escaped via a window. Kinzo didn’t die instantly, and he closed the open window and locked it as his dying act. Nanjo then stabbed George and shot Jessica, and either faked dead or shot himself.[/color]

If the rain is a problem, then [color=blue]While moving the unconscious bodies, Nanjo also grabbed Genji’s raincoat so that he could make his window escape and stay dry. He took it off before his death.[/color]

For the door graffiti, [color=blue]under the pretense of following George and Shannon, Nanjo went upstairs to the third floor to write the message. He was able to make it back before George and Shannon. [/color]

Is that really applying knowledge from this third game…?
After all this one does say that the windows in Kinzo’s study are too high up to just jump out of, with no other windows to climb to.

1 Like

Was thinking about that, but rope easily solves that problem. If you’ll recall, we’re not constrained by Knox in the first game.

Well it still seems weird to establish this when the solution is that he just used rope. Like, then it’s just adding a trivial problem instead of helping in any way. :pained:

1 Like

[color=red]Kinzo’s death was instantaneous.[/color]

You should consider what Rune has to say and take a look at some of the things this game tries to tell you regarding this mystery.

Trying to reuse the same methods and hitting the same brick wall makes this 150-something page shebang somewhat pointless, eh?

This option is basically the equivalent of someone just wandering off from the remaining group during that scene (which isn’t an option - the problem wouldn’t have even existed in the first place if that was possible), and I’m beyond certain it’s been suggested and denied at some point earlier in Game 1 - in multiple variations.

Come to think of it…

Didn’t someone… surrender in game 1 and lost the right to shoot theories at it?

I did say this game was open to everyone… but that doesn’t mean everyone can shoot theories at everything, now can they?

I’ll make an exception this time, though. No point in letting it hanging for someone else to repeat it.

Let’s examine why Natsuhi’s death in the second gameboard is impossible.

Natsuhi died in a bathroom that has only two entrances, the door and the window. We know that Natsuhi indeed died there, as it has been confirmed in red that Natsuhi was dead when Kanon examined her corpse. It is impossible for people to convincingly disguise themselves as other people without proper foreshadowing, as per Knox’s 10th. In the absence of proper foreshadowing, we can only assume it was truly Natsuhi who entered that room, meaning she was alive before she entered the bathroom. As there can be no hidden passages in the mansion, and Kanon found no other entrances or exits, we can be certain that the door and the window are the only points of entry.

Kanon searched the bathroom before Natsuhi entered. As no details are given on exactly how Kanon searched the room, we must assume that whatever the culprit might have done, it must work out the same regardless of how exactly Kanon searched the room, as long as it is some reasonable method one could imagine Kanon using to search the room. As such, in the absence of anything in the narrative suggesting it is possible Kanon missed something or someone, we can only assume that there was nobody in the bathroom other than Kanon when he searched it. Someone entering the bathroom in the small gap of time between Kanon finishing his search and Natsuhi entering the bathroom has been denied as a contrivance not supported by the narrative. This means that directly after Natsuhi entered the bathroom, she was the only person there.

After Natsuhi entered, Kanon closely guarded the locked door, and nobody could’ve gotten past him unnoticed. Therefore, nobody could’ve entered the bathroom through the door in order to kill Natsuhi at any point in time. To put it in other words, no third party could enter the bathroom without entering through the window.

The window was locked when Kanon searched the bathroom, and it has been confirmed in red that it was still locked when said search ended. It has also been confirmed in red that the lock can only be unlocked by someone inside the bathroom doing it directly by hand. As only Natsuhi entered through the door after Kanon’s search was completed and nobody else was in the bathroom, we can conclude that the window was still locked when Natsuhi entered the bathroom. It has been confirmed in red that Natsuhi did not touch the window. The window has not been described anywhere, therefore we can assume that whatever trick makes the murder of Natsuhi work, it works regardless of what kind of window the bathroom window is, as long as it is a fairly ordinary window. For a fairly ordinary window, you would need to touch the window to unlock it. Therefore Natsuhi did not unlock the window. As Natsuhi was the only person in the bathroom and the window can only be unlocked from inside the bathroom, the window was never unlocked.

Due to the aforementioned red truth about not touching the window, we can also be certain that Natsuhi did not leave through the window. As Kanon didn’t notice her leaving through the door either, we can conclude that Natsuhi never left the bathroom, just to be sure that the scene of the murder was indeed the bathroom and not some other location.

As the window can be expected to be a standard window, in the absence of anything in the narrative suggesting it is broken in any way and a guarantee in red that the window was not tampered with in any way, we can thus conclude that it was impossible to enter the bathroom through the window.

And thus we have arrived at the conclusion that it is impossible for a third party to have been inside the bathroom when Natsuhi died. As accidental death has been denied by a red declaring that Natsuhi’s death was murder, we must inspect the possibilities of suicide and remote murder.

The rules of the game state that the culprit is defined as the one who kills. There can be only one culprit and no accomplices. Thus, if Natsuhi killed herself, she is the culprit, period. After Natsuhi’s death, Kyrie and Hideyoshi died under circumstances that cannot be the result of coincidence or traps. They were holed up in the parlor, and one lost her head and the other was found with a sword stabbed through him. No accidental death could plausibly cause this. It is likewise difficult to imagine a trap that could do so. Furthermore, after Natsuhi’s death Kanon met with a mysterious individual wearing a raincoat who gave him the skull key. This person would somehow have to be a person unrelated to the murders if Natsuhi was the culprit. In addition to all that, Kanon’s death would’ve had to be the result of a trap as well. All these together seem like such an implausible coctail of randomness that I believe it is safe to say that Natsuhi did not commit suicide.

Then the only option left is remote murder, “remote” being defined by any means of killing that don’t require the culprit to be in the bathroom. Red truth confirms the cause of death was a stab in the forehead. Furthermore, traps have been ruled out by red truth, with a trap being any kind of mechanism, timed or not, which would allow the culprit to kill Natsuhi without being in the same room as her. So, no mechanisms can be used to commit the stabbing. Red truth has confirmed that there are no gaps anywhere in the bathroom walls sizeable enough to stab a knife through, with the exception of the window and the door when they are open. However, neither of those could’ve been opened. In the absence of foreshadowing that the culprit could operate the bathroom facilities from the outside, and considering the position of Natsuhi’s corpse, we must assume that Natsuhi was killed after flushing the toilet and opening the faucet on the sink, but before she was done washing her hands. Thus, she would’ve been at the sink when she was murdered. If no mechanism was used to stab Natsuhi, the culprit must’ve somehow stabbed her through the wall. However, it seems that would run afoul of the red about no hidden passages, the red about there being no gap through which a knife can be stabbed, and Knox’s 8th. So, it seems like remote murder doesn’t work out, either.

Therefore Natsuhi’s death is impossible if the reds are taken at face value, which is how I understand DWaM’s game is meant to be played. Rebuttals are welcome.

Might as well take a look at something else, such as Rosa’s room. I expect this to run into Knox’s 8th, but I don’t have anything better right now. [color=Blue]The door to Rosa’s room wasn’t actually locked. Instead, the door had been tampered with or otherwise jammed so that it would resist being opened even if it was unlocked. One way to accomplish this while still allowing the culprit to leave the room would be to lace the side of the door with glue.[/color]

One strange detail about Rosa’s room was that the key was on the floor. Considering how deliberate and theatrical setups the culprit seems to prefer, after going through the trouble of arranging all the corpses and such, just unceremoniously dropping the key on the floor and calling it a day seems odd. Which appears to suggest that the culprit couldn’t control where the key goes, meaning it was somehow smuggled in after the culprit had left the room?

[color=Blue]The culprit was clinging to the ceiling of the bathroom where Natsuhi died. The culprit was already inside when Kanon checked the bathroom, but Kanon never bothered to check the ceiling for any hidden culprits. Once Kanon was outside, the culprit killed Natsuhi and went back up. Kanon discovered Natsuhi, freaked out and again didn’t think of checking the ceiling.[/color]

Literally the only thing I can think of when it comes to Natsuhi’s murder in game 2.

That seems very close to claiming there’s no ceiling because Kanon never checked it. But who knows? :stuck_out_tongue:

[color=red]The door to Rosa’s room was indeed locked directly before it was broken down.[/color] (Referring to the time the group got to the door, found it locked and broke it down, of course.)

[color=red]Had anyone been in the bathroom during Kanon’s initial search, he would have noticed them immediately.[/color]

As I’ve mentioned on discord, I’ll be quite busy over the next few weeks, so the speed of my replies will dwindle quite a bit. In addition, I have to admit I’ve lost a lot of motivation for these games as a result of burnout, which is another contributing factor.

Alright, it’s been two weeks, no progress has been made (then again, one could say that state has been well over two weeks), I guess it’s time to wrap this one up.

As I’ve mentioned before, my interest in this game series has sort of worn off and what fun I’ve had has sort of disappeared, as well. In part because the players weren’t having fun anymore and in part because now I’ve been able to take a step back and realize what things I wish I could’ve done differently when constructing this series.

In some parts, I aruably went against my principles, which I regret, and in others I was just unnecessarily cruel. And for that, I’d like to apologize.

Given the amount of time passed, some of the details I would usually present in my solutions aren’t present mainly because I can’t recall all of the stories and all of the hintings used at the time, and I don’t really have the time on me to go through all of the threads and point to every part I found interesting or noteworthy. That also means I probably won’t be answering any questions on elaborations. You’re free to assume what you wish - it could very well have been an oversight on my part, I genuinely simply don’t remember.

That said, I’ll go through all of the games and try to summarize the chains of events the best I can.

Full series spoilers are still in effect.

Solution(s)

The culprit was Jessica.

The actual motivations behind the killings, as hinted in the stories (and realized by some) is that there was no reason. She is, by her own conditions, a “monster” and the villain of the story. I figured it’d be an interesting deviation and departure from the traditional assumptions of there being a motive required to do horrific deeds. But plain evil exists in the world – pointless and irrational one.

I tried to show it as much as I could’ve, admittedly – every opening page had satanic imagery hidden behind the title, the brutal and seemingly irrational nature of the killings, the random usage of the rhymes and verses (and yes, it was indeed random – Game 1 itself asks you, at its very last chapter, if there is truly any meaning; that was actually the whole point of using the rhyme in the first place – to bait into making you believe there was some deeper meaning behind it, only to at the end question “is there really any meaning?”), and… one other thing, which I’ll get to when I talk about Game 3 in specific.

The main idea behind all of the games was to create tricks which seemed nigh-impossible but were simple to the point of being disgusting.

Game 1

• Kanon’s death holds no real secrets - the actual method of murder happened as described. The murder itself was concocted, indeed as speculated – an object which was attached to the window and burned in the fire. The object, in this particular instance, was ice – blocks of it had been carefully placed on the wider windowsill. It then simply melted. There was a very, very, very faint hint of this… somewhere during the part where Shannon laid out on the story about how they got the food, if I remember correctly. It’s not something I expected to get or use as a means of reasoning, and I was always perfectly willing to accept the idea of an object simply being tied to the thing.
  • Rudolf and Kyrie’s room was no mystery, either – as midsummer had suggested, the chain was set from the inside, the door removed from its hinges, and then placed back. Tough work, for sure, but far from impossible. It WOULD have been impossible, in my mind, had the door been actually locked, but do recall the chain was simply set in this instance.
  • Of course, the man and the legend – the one and only – keyboi. The actual movements by the culprit were guessed correctly: Jessica swapped the red skull key with the key to the decorative box (a key which nobody took – hence why there was no need for pickpocketing Kinzo) while Battler was on the ground (she’d decided on the spot, since she acted without any motive and thus without any actual care of a “plan” to simply plant the key at some point in the future in a random spot and make it appear as if it’d disappeared off of Battler’s person; had Battler, however, noticed it was gone before he even put it in his pocket she could’ve just shrugged it off, thrown the key aside or something, but given his emotional state it was unlikely; and if he’d forgotten about it in the heat of the moment and left it behind it wouldn’t have mattered anyway), and planted it in the pot while everyone was lifting the lids. The question becomes how the key that had been switched disappeared off of Battler’s person. The matter was… somewhat trivial, actually. You simply had to carefully read what Shannon had and hadn’t searched, and compare it with the pieces of clothing Battler actually had. Game 3 really tried to also hint at the fact that the same effect could’ve occurred without any outside interference - ie, that it wasn’t a part of the culprit’s plan (Rosa’s tragedy). Battler had made a mistake - he HAD put it in his pocket, but not his waistcoat one. It felt like he was putting it in the waistcoat pocket. He was certain he was putting it in his waistcoat pocket. But it wasn’t his waistcoat pocket. It was the one article of clothing that hed never been searched - not by him or Shannon. His shirt. Battler’s own incompetence had made it appear as if the key had disappeared. (It’s worth noting here the shirt pocket isn’t directly behind the waistcoat pocket, hence why a search of the waistcoat pocket wouldn’t have led to someone feeling there was something behind it - ie, the key).
  • The writing on the door was mean. The point was entirely logicial – the fact about Jessica’s hair and clothing being soaked. The reason I’d told you to turn the chessboard was to push you in a direction that the culprit did not really give a shit about anything – nothing here was planned in complete advance. When she got into the bathroom, only then and there did Jessica decide about the door trick. And what did she do? I think xat had privately suggested something similar to me (although I’m too lazy to check now) – she took off her clothes, left through the window, wrote the text, dried her hair off with something she found outside (the storm had settled down quite a bit by that point in time, as stated by the narrative, so it wouldn’t have been that bad) and then simply used a raincoat or some other protective clothing to get back to the bathroom, throwing it outside afterwards. Jessica really was the overall logical choice here in the end – nobody else had the means to do it. I’m genuinly surprised, in all those fights and attempts to break the red, this particular red had never been questioned.
  • Kinzo’s study was never really delved into deep enough for it to really have enough impact. The idea was, while George and Nanjo were in the bedroom, the drugs she’d planted in the food knocked the rest of the people in the room out. She then moved everyone to the bathroom, and called the bedroom with the phone in the study itself, speaking as the culprit and threatening George and Nanjo. She then hid in the bathroom, locking the door behind her. (George and Nanjo wouldn’t have immediately rushed out, given that George was in the middle of receiving treatment. The bathroom wasn’t checked… for obvious reasons. They would’ve instinctively searched it while trying to find the others.) With no other choice, and feeling their safety in danger, the two men moved the bookcase themselves and left. Jessica then left the study and made preparations of her own – she left the mansion and placed a ladder next to the study window. She returned to the study, and dragged everyone back to their positions. She woke Kinzo up and told him George and Nanjo were missing. Kinzo, in his desire to preserve his bloodline, placed the bookshelf back in the spot. Jessica then killed him and left through the window, using the ladder to get dow to the ground. She then removed the ladder. Battler then awoke and closed the window without thinking. He is not an accomplice by any stretch of the word – he was not following any orders; nor did he have any reason to think the culprit had used the window – it was locked last they’d checked and one couldn’t have used it to simply get down – they were on the top floor, after all. (This is the reason the height in particular was mentioned in Game 3.) But even beyond that, if you notice, Battler during that scene is more focused on how everyone could’ve left. He couldn’t have reasonably imagined a scenario where the culprit overpowered four people and then simply threw their bodies out the window, then somehow got down theirselves without leaving any noticeable trace. Hence, why he’s baffled and more focused on the bookcase. Naturally, I wouldn’t have required 30% of all these details and would’ve simply accepted any variation of Battler closing the window himself.

Mind you, that last bit I knew would be considered reasonably unfair, hence why I tried to hint at it more with the next stage – Asumu’s death. Which we’ll get to when discussing Game 3.

As for Game 2… This one was just mean-spirited. Like, all-around. I’ll admit it, I was feeling somewhat unreasonably bitter when concocting it and had several factors (mostly outside of Rokkenjima) making me frustrated to dishing out some particularly mean reds.

…Nevertheless, you made progress in it. Moreso than you actually thought. You just never went far enough with it.

Game 2

• Kanon was the key keeper. Most of the points brought up regarding it stand. The ‘inconsistency’ I wanted you to see wasn’t one that led to the conclusion of “he isn’t the key keeper” but something else – much more elaborate. How would have Kinzo – without a key – been able to leave the study, witness the murders to the point of knowing something was amiss, and then return with the auto-lock in play? Assuming he’d simply placed something to keep the door half-open is a stretch and if he was going to go around doing that - why even have the setup with the key keeper? The whole idea was that Kinzo barely, if ever, left his study. So the next reasonable question is – how did he know? How did he know about there being something horrible going on?
  • Because on the night of the murders, Jessica had spoken with him, as she had broken into his office using the key she’d pickpocketed off of Kanon. She’d restrained Kinzo and injected him with a vial of the poison, in an attempt for him to die a slow, painful death. Game 3 tells the story of an old man making futile and empty threats – and that’s exactly what had happened in Game 2. Kinzo, having been forced into a corner and made to die, could only make futile threats at the people he perceived as his enemies. There was an elaborate hint somewhere regarding this scene for this next point, but I currently can’t remember it, admittedly. Still, the ultimate takeaway is that Kinzo hadn’t been killed by gunshot but by poison. Hence why he could’ve been dead by the time Nanjo was reached and how everyone in the group would’ve had an alibi for it.
  • Natsuhi’s murder had been solved a while ago, it was just that the idea was killed in the internal discussion. Yes, Jessica had disguised herself as Natsuhi – and that was the person that had been with everyone. It’s the cause of the blackout. And yes, the part about Jessica wearing makeup all the time around Kanon, and Jessica commenting on how the cousins are more alike to the other members of the other family were all hints. Keep in mind that ‘Natsuhi’ barely said anything truly noteworthy in the entire narration aside from gasps, short sentences, and such. Kanon was busy losing his mind, as well, so he would’ve had an even harder time noticing. (I remember wanting to put a meta hint somewhere too – you’ll notice ‘Natsuhi’ is the only one among the survivors not given an image of her own).
  • The key in Natsuhi and Krauss’ room is simple enough. Leave a window open in the room, head out, place the key in the lock, return to room through window, close window. It was during this commute that the generator was destroyed as well.
  • So, yeah, no real mystery to Rosa’s room or Natsuhi’s room. Rosa’s room is simple wordplay (but in my mind entirely fair) – of course neither “Natsuhi, Kanon, Kyrie or Hideyoshi” dropped the key in there after the fact. And the bathroom… well, again – Natsuhi didn’t touch shit, given that she’d been killed before the events ever took place. Jessica simply went through the window, dunked the body there, and hid in the room, as speculated, then left when Kanon’s attention was intentionally drawn to the body placed to the sink (to cover the window being opened).
  • Hideyoshi and Kyrie were killed by Jessica simply knocking on the door. Kyrie would’ve had her guard down – with her assuming Kanon as the guilty party and having no real way to confirm or deny whatever story Jessica gave her. The idea behind it was for the players to maybe go down this path and think about who Kyrie wouldn’t find suspicious - and that’d be one of the only people she hadn’t seen dead – either Battler or Jessica. But any explanation would’ve worked and been accepted, as it was.
  • Jessica’s narration during Battler’s chapter was, of course, unreliable. You’ll notice all of her thoughts are just general descriptions of things and almost lifeless attributing of “this is creepy”, without any actual emotion behind it all. Once Battler started feeling sick to the point of reaching convulsions, she simply left the room (with a key she did indeed have on her). Then, she placed the keys around. (She would’ve explained what the vials did by either leaving a note at some point or addressing everyone in the culprit get-up, but through Kanon’s conversation with Kinzo, she realized Kanon must’ve already known what the vials were and saw no need to comment on it). The ‘game’ set up for everyone was never to save her – it was always whether or not Battler would be saved on time. If he was, she’d managed to create a situation where she was found dead, and Battler, having been convulsing, being unable to claim she ever left. The clock had also been fucked with – it was actually several hours earlier than what it was on the clock itself (in fact, the entire scene had played out before ANY of the killings had taken place, the rustle heard upstairs was actually Natsuhi and Krauss fighting and creating the signs of scuffle of broken objects and such), to give her more time and to solidify the illusion once Battler tells his story to the survivors (if there are any at the time).
  • As for how she got back into the room – she simply slipped in while Kanon was focused on Battler and died as a result of… well, any other poison from Kinzo’s established collection of poisons to kill herself then and there.
  • The final deception was Kanon’s “death”. The matter is actually quite simple. The shooter wasn’t the culprit, because by the end of the story, Kanon wasn’t dead. He was hallucinating. (Game 3 even makes a point about there being no afterlife, only blackness, or something along those lines.) I’d… actually pulled this trick once before, off of this site. But yeah. The shooter was Nanjo, who had passed out from shock after Jessica had stabbed him with a scalpel. She had been in a hurry at the time (the original idea was for the group to find him in the garden shed as one of the survivors, but he woke up as she was destroying the generator, thus leaving her with no choice but to kill him; but with no time to spare she wasn’t able to make the death grusome or fully check it – she had to go and play the role of Natsuhi). Nanjo came to, wandered around the mansion, found the shotgun in one of the rooms, saw Kanon walking out of Kinzo’s study with a demeanor of a maniac, and shot him instinctively.
  • Side note: Jessica had shot Kinzo after the fact to hide the fact he’d been killed by poison, since she realized she could make the matter even more perfect in case anyone figured out her Natsuhi trick, giving herself an even more solid alibi (and in case Battler died – she needed to have SOMETHING to baffle everyone with in that case). The key to the study she picked off of Kanon when Natsuhi had a “headache”.

Game 3
So it was around this point I figured I should have SOME justifications as to why the games are what they are and figured a ‘real world’ explanation behind them.

Jessica had survived the Rokkenjima incident, after being bashed by Kyrie (a human skull is pretty tough, ain’t it), leaving her severly disfigured. She tried leading a normal life, but found it almost impossible to move on; she eventually found out about witch hunters, and that was the thing that sent her over the edge. She found the entire thing to be a desecration of her family.

She stole the prof’s things (manipulating him into giving further information about the people connected with the whole speculatory side of Rokkenjima). During that time, she was also prepping for plastic surgery. She’d discovered and tracked down Tohya (much in the same way Angehad), with one step ahead – she knew it was two people. She wanted to punish the person who’d, in her mind, desecrated her family the most with their forgeries. After Tohya’s suicide attempt, he was left in the coma. The reason for Jessica’s plastic surgery was that she’d made herself look exactly like Hachijo, killed her, and took her place. She kept her body in a freezer. She had enough time beforehand to learn her mannerisms and blend in. Afterwards, she learned the truth about Tohya, and couldn’t go through with the original plan of torturing her, so she chose to attempt to live a normal life. After a while, she took the role of Hachijo and began to lose that part of Jessica.

As ‘Ends’, however, implies – she found it difficult to keep running away from who she was forever, and eventually the Jesisca part of her personality resurfaced, dragging her into the past. She knew the only way to stop was to bring the speculation of the Rokkenjima incident to an end, which is why she tried to scare Tohya and push him into revealing the diary contents (through the stories and the professor’s murder). Of course, how the games ended where they did was simple with this explanation.

It was in their home.

Some other miscellanious stuff, I suppose:

• Asumu’s murder was designed to hint at the ‘Battler closing the window in Game 1’. After killing her, Rudolf created the locked room, leaving the window open. Battler closed it (something which he’d repressed) and thrown a spanner in the works - forcing him to open it after the door was broken down. By Game 2 you didn’t have to know it was murder, though – you could’ve gone with the suicide angle and even in that case, the only logical explanation becomes that Battler closed the window.
  • There was quite a lot of scorn to Rudolf and Kyrie throughout Game 3 – the reason is obvious, ultimately.

And that’s about it, I think. I want to thank those who participated, apologize to those disappointed, and happy if there’s interest for these things happening in the future - wherever they may be.

Probably won’t be starting any more games up here anymore (as in, literally here anymore) due to the site’s shutdown, so I want to take the time to thank all those who participated in all of my games here, you were all good sports about it and I did have a lot of fun, for what it’s worth. I might do something in the future, but I don’t know when or even if it’ll be happening anytime soon. With these games being as cruel as they were, I’ll probably give it more time off, seeing as how people will likely assume the same tactics and assumptions that would’ve been required for these games and create string theory attack 2.0 and that’s not quite something I’m ready for at the moment.

So, once again, thanks for playing.

EDIT: Ah, one last thing I should mention. Another ideas I had for the first two games was to keep them moving and keep them interesting in a way where I would throw certain curveballs with the red, thus forcing a shift in reasoning and ultimately forcing a reeinterpretation of events (hence paving the path towards some of the more elaborate truths in the solution). It didn’t necessarily work out as intended, but that was the idea.

7 Likes

Thanks for hosting the games. It’s a pity people got too burned out and the game had to be concluded this way, but such is life.

2 Likes

I never ended up tackling this, as I’ve had a lot of overtime for work since December. A pity. Thanks for the Gameboard, and I hope everyone had a lot of fun with it!