Politics? Intrigue? Let's play Choice of Romance: Affairs of the Court!

Your uncle smiles at you. “That is another reason why I like you so much, NepNep. Unlike some of our family that I could name, you are so sensible and willing to listen to reason.”

Your uncle continues speaking. “Now, the Queen has every opportunity she could wish. If her interest in you is but passing, that would be understandable, and in no way a discredit to you. So you should keep your options open. De Mendosa is a light-weight; she is from a respectable family, but she has no wealth, no prospects, and nothing to offer. Put her from your mind. Now, turning your mind to Torres, there is a woman you could do well with. She is barely an hidalga, it is true, but she has made a fortune. Her family will always be well provided for, and her contacts give her influence throughout the Court. There would be no shame in a match with her.”

You thank your uncle for his thoughtful advice. What do you do next?

• Accept the Queen’s invitation and attend the tourney.
  • Accept de Mendosa’s invitation and listen to a chamber recital.
  • Accept Torres’s invitation and go to tea.
  • Examine the gifts and invitations personally.

0 voters

1 Like

You accept the Queen’s invitation. The next day passes quickly in preparations.

What sort of clothing do you wear to the tourney?

• Attractive but sensible clothes. This is a sporting event, but the most important thing is keeping the Queen’s eye on me.
  • I need to wear my most attractive outfit, constrained only by the need for appropriate decorum. The Queen is always surrounded by attractive young women–I need to stand out.
  • Forget decorum. This is my key opportunity to keep the Queen’s eyes. If that means dressing scandalously, so be it.
  • This is a tourney, not a ball, and I will dress appropriately, in sturdy clothes meant for real wear. The Queen would expect no less.

0 voters

A reasonable, although perhaps risky, decision.

Fine pavilions stand near the tourney grounds, and skilled grooms care for the beautiful coursers that the participants will ride. You join the Queen’s entourage as she approaches the tourney grounds.

The Queen waves her hand to her companions as you approach, and they break off their conversation–whether of great matters of state, of trivialities, or of you, you cannot tell–and move away to give the two of you some privacy.

“We are most pleased that you agreed to accompany us,” the Queen says as you approach.

You curtsy deeply in response. “I am honored to be invited, Your Majesty.”

You exchange pleasantries as you approach the royal pavilion. The marshall of the lists approaches, bowing deeply. “Will you be jousting today, Your Majesty?”

The Queen nods. “Indeed, we will take our turn in the lists.”

“Of course, Your Majesty. I will give orders for your personal horse and staff to be made ready.” The marshall then turns to you. “And you, my lady? I believe that you are also a Death Mage and thus suitable for the competition.”

Do you wish to compete in the wizards’ joust?

• Of course not!
  • Of course!
  • Tell me more about the jousting.
  • Hmm. Does the Queen want me to say yes or no?

0 voters

We’re not good at magic my dudes.

Well to be fair we managed to basically literally fight fire with fire using magic, so perhaps we can manage something there…

But is 25% magic good enough in a competetion?

Well… we just have to lose in a moe way to charm her or something then. May have worked slightly better if we had chosen the half naked route but whatever.

Lesbian queen ftw.

4 Likes

Or maybe if there is a way to seduce her by talking to her and not partcipating? I wonder if either is accomplishable.

What the hell is jousting

You know that thing in the middle ages where two people on horses try to shove each other off with a long lance? That’s called jousting. Although I have no idea how magic is going to be incorporated into this.

2 Likes

Oh ok thanks

Jousting is a standard amusement of the Death Mage nobility. It is a sport, but more than a sport–it is also training for war, and a field of honor on which to earn status and settle disputes.

In a joust, the two nobles ride warhorses towards each other. As they approach, each participant channels magical energy through a specially prepared staff, trying to unhorse the other. The staves dull the magical assault, making death or grievous burns less likely, but it is still a dangerous, frightening endeavor…which is part of the reason crowds of both the noble and the common-born love it. It principally tests magical ability, although horsemanship and physical fitness also play a role.

What do you decide?

• I joust.
  • I decline.
  • I try to figure out the Queen’s opinion.

0 voters

Fire magic no less…

Edit : Wait!
Now that I think of it…

So we’re talking about lesbian fire magic jousting and were actually hesitating? Im truly dissapointed in you people.

Jousting does sound a little bit kinky.

… and fire is hot?

Don’t forget, we’re still pretty bad at using magic :expressionless:

2 Likes

As far as Im concerned thats an argument in favour of it ihihihi…

It’s difficult to say for certain. You are confident that the Queen expects you to say no, but you might be able to impress her by jousting. What do you decide?

• I will joust.
  • I will not joust.

0 voters

You decline, and the marshall hurries off.

Soon enough, a page informs the Queen that she will be jousting shortly.

The Queen turns to you. “May we have a token with which to adorn our staff?”

• I tie my scarf on the Queen’s staff.
  • I tie a rather more intimate piece of clothing on the Queen’s staff–let her and others interpret that as they will.
  • I decline to give the Queen a token. Let her earn my attentions if she wants them.

0 voters

The Queen raises an eyebrow in surprise as you slip a garter out of your pocket and carefully and sensuously tie it on to her staff.

“I’ll need to find an appropriately private occasion to return this to you,” she says. She smiles lustily as she looks you over.

Your dainty flutters attractively on the Queen’s staff as she takes her position for the joust. She dips the staff to you in salute. Some of the courtiers watching murmur to themselves and a few of them even point in your direction.

The marshall of the lists throws down a plain red flag as the signal for the joust to begin. The Queen and her opponent, the Conde de Vistahermosa, spur their horses and charge across the pitch. Each grasps a heavy ash staff, glowing with magical power. As they close to within four lengths of each other, they chant ancient words of power and raise their staves. A blast of red flame erupts from the Queen’s staff and throws the Conde de Vistahermosa from his horse.

The Queen finishes her pass, wheels her horse, and pumps her fist in triumph. She then notices that the Conde is not moving on the ground. The Marshall holds aloft the personal standard of the Queen, recognizing her victory, but then he puts down the standard and runs over to the Conde. After a moment he shouts, “Life Mage! We need a Life Mage!”

A Life Mage hurries forward and begins casting spells over the Conde, but stops after a few minutes and shakes her head. The Marshall begins gathering a group of grooms to carry the body away.

The Queen walks back to the royal pavilion, her expression deeply troubled. “The Conde de Vistahermosa has always been noisome, but for something like this to happen…”

How do you react?

• I am horrified. How could she kill someone, even by accident?
  • The Conde’s death is tragic, but the Queen’s sheer unbridled power is impressive…and sexy.
  • The Queen must feel awful, killing someone through no fault of her own. I comfort her.

0 voters