Politics? Intrigue? Let's play Choice of Romance: Affairs of the Court!

Where’s the evil option: “I acknowledge that the Queen killed the Conde on purpose, both showing off her own magical power and offing a political rival. What a magnificent political maneuver!”

Because clearly we should be going for evil lesbian magical world domination with this woman.

3 Likes

We are losing stats, people! I guess our approach might not be working.

1 Like

If we get our charm up and can get the Queen on our side I’m sure she can carry us to the end. It’ll be fine

I have the feeling that we would have ended up dead if we had chosen to joust. But yeah, we aren’t very subtle, so obviously our subtlety lowers, and for everyone else we are some nobody that is pretty uncourtly for lack of a better word, so it makes sense that our reputation is dropping as well.

1 Like

We should comfort the Queen. It might up our reputation and get her on our side.

1 Like

“Oh, Your Majesty, how terrible,” you say. “You could not have known what would happen, yet it must weigh upon you nonetheless.”

The Queen nods, grimly. “We have had to order people to their deaths, killed miscreants by our warrant…but to kill someone in what should have been a bit of enjoyment…”

“You cannot blame yourself, Your Majesty,” you say, placing a comforting hand on her. “Jousting is dangerous. These things simply happen.”

“True. I injured myself in a bad fall some ten years ago. Still, it is hard to not feel responsibility.”

“Of course! As fine a woman as you are, how could you not take responsibility? But you did nothing wrong, and you must not blame yourself, Your Majesty.”

You continue talking for the rest of the joust, barely paying attention to the ongoing competition. The Queen gradually relaxes–still troubled, of course, but greatly comforted by your words. Finally, a courier approaches. “De Vega requests your attention for a matter of state, Your Majesty. At Your Majesty’s convenience, of course, but my lord says that it is a matter of some urgency.”

The Queen grimaces. “We know what that means. Inform de Vega that we will be there presently.” She turns to you. “We must leave you now, but you should know that you were a bright point in an otherwise grim day.”

Your Aunt Leonor approaches you the following day. “If you are quite done chasing after fantasies, there is still time to salvage things with Carlota Torres. While your initial rejection may have put her off, I am certain that I could arrange an invitation to tea on another day. The whole family depends on you marrying well, NepNep, and Doña Carlota is your only good chance. Please tell me that you will at least go to tea with her.”

How do you respond?

• Of course! I should keep all my options open.
  • Very well. How bad could a single afternoon tea be?
  • I do not want to, but I will agree for the sake of the family.
  • No! I have no interest in Torres, and nothing my aunt says can persuade me.

0 voters

Aunt Leonor begins to cry. “Do you have any idea how much we have all sacrificed to provide you with this opportunity? And this is not just an opportunity for you. You know that our family has been struggling for years. Think of Magdalena and your other brothers and sisters if you will not think of yourself. Your marriage to Doña Carlota could mean the difference between poverty and plenty. You could provide them with a life we have only dreamt of. Are you sure that you will sacrifice all of our futures to your childish thoughts?”

Are you sure?

• Yes! I will not go to tea with Torres, no matter how much Leonor pushes.
  • I suppose I can endure tea to make my aunt leave me alone.

0 voters

Very well then. I hope her tears as she makes predictions of disaster do not bother you too much.

Most of the events you attend as part of the Season are purely social events, often with a form of entertainment included. Every so often, however, a more substantial event occurs at Court. These are the sorts of events that you should attend so that you can see and be seen, but at which the Queen and her advisors, most notably Luis de Vega, perform the actual business of ruling Iberia.

On a hot summer day, the Queen’s Court will meet to discuss some delicate matters with the recently arrived Ambassador of the neighboring country Sahra. But before you begin the process of dressing for Court, one of the servants approaches you. “Doña Gabriela de Mendosa wishes to call upon you, my lady.”

De Mendosa waits for you in the parlor. “Ah, Doña NepNep, I am so glad to see you,” she begins. While her greeting is warm, she seems distracted. “I wish I had time for a purely social call today, but I need to speak to you about the meeting of the Queen’s Court. You understand the importance of these issues, I trust?”

It is an interesting question. How well do you keep track of the affairs of state that have brought this embassy to the Queen?

• I know the basics, but not much more than that. The maneuverings of realms and politics are less important, and oh so much less interesting, than matters of who is romancing whom.
  • I am well informed. You cannot truly master the social aspects of the Court without understanding the political context.

0 voters

Yeah, yeah, we totally know what we’re doing.

3 Likes

For many years, the border between the southern edge of Iberia and the neighboring country of Sahra has been uneasy. Diplomats drew the border at the end of the last major war between the two countries, nearly a generation ago, and nobles on both sides of the border resent the loss of lands they view as theirs. For years, Sahra has accused the borderlords of harboring bandits–a charge that is probably true, although Sahra also probably blames some indigenous banditry on its neighbors across the border. Recently, Sahra has claimed that the banditry has increased. In response, there have been several “punitive actions” in which Sahraian troops have crossed the border and raided the manors, fields, and villages of the borderlords. As best as you can tell, they have been more interested in attacking the richest targets than in getting revenge on the most likely offenders.

All of this makes for a difficult and sticky situation. The countries are of roughly comparable power. Although strangely Sahra has neither Death nor Life Mages, it has mages with strange powers of transportation, said to be capable of speeding the travel of an army or even of teleporting it across a country. A war would be potentially destructive for both sides. Yet how can Iberia tolerate an enemy army crossing its borders?

The Queen will have to handle the situation adroitly when she receives the ambassador.

“As you understand,” continues de Mendosa, “honor demands that the Queen act firmly against Sahra. We cannot tolerate their troops crossing the border and attacking us. And, of course, if the Queen takes action, that will create opportunities for those of us who are not blessed with the lands and holdings of our ancestors. The Queen will make the final decision, but she can be swayed by the opinions of the nobles of her Court. I hope that I can count on you to speak out against Sahra, and in defense of the borderlords?”

How do you respond to de Mendosa?

• “Of course, Doña Gabriela; you can count on my support.”
  • “I will need to speak to my uncle and aunt first, but I personally support you.”
  • “I do not know. Politics can be so confusing.”
  • “I do not see things the same as you in this matter.”

0 voters

1 Like

Now I would say that both talking to our aunt and uncle and saying politics is confusing is not preferred, as the former makes us seem indecisive and dependend on those two, while the latter just makes us seem dumb.

So the main question is, would a potential war benefit ourselves as well? Obviously it benefits Mendosa, but ultimately we want to know what we can get for ourselves. So those are the things we ought to think about when coming to a decision.

De Mendosa smiles in response. “Excellent. I knew that you would see the importance of this. I wish I could tarry with you, but I must speak to some others of this matter before the Court.” De Mendosa quickly takes her leave, and you have a moment to think as you begin your preparations.

People all the time say one thing to members of a Court faction while thinking another privately. Do you have an actual position?

• It is not my place to have a position on great matters of state.
  • I need to know the positions of the other people I wish to impress in order to determine my own position.
  • How dare the people of Sahra mistreat our nobles? We must bring them in line, even if it means war!
  • The borderlords have caused too many difficulties with our neighbors, and the Queen must punish them to resolve this.
  • The important thing is resolving the conflict peacefully. Border disputes can easily escalate, and a war would be a disaster.
  • The situation is complex and difficult. I need to think about it more and hear what other people think.
  • A pox on both their houses! Both sides have done wrong, and the Queen should treat everyone harshly.
  • This is a great opportunity for the Queen! She should both seize some of the assets of the borderlords as punishment for their transgressions and also use the incident as a pretext to demand concessions from Sahra.

0 voters

1 Like

Current stats. We upped our booksmart stat! I’m not sure what exactly did it though.

1 Like

You show a keen sense of the realities of politics. You are close to the Queen, so what is good for Her Majesty redounds to your benefit. And regardless of the equities of the situation, the conflict represents an opportunity for Her Majesty.

A cunning analysis. Not particularly honorable or just, but cunning.

When you arrive at the grand audience chamber where the Queen will receive the Ambassador and discuss matters, a large number of courtiers and interested parties have gathered. The room is filled with the buzz of quiet conversation. Certain people, including the Queen’s advisor Luis de Vega, actively work the room, although you cannot tell at a glance whether they seek to measure or to influence opinion. Others, including Carlota Torres, Gabriela de Mendosa, and the King Consort’s influential elder sister, Duquesa Constanza de Aguilar, stand around with coteries of their allies and associates. Those worthies eagerly seek out the opportunity to bend the ear of de Vega and others who might sway the Queen, but they stay among friends as they do so.

What do you plan on doing while waiting for the arrival of Her Majesty the Queen?

• Just watch. I am here to see and be seen.
  • Flirt with Carlota Torres.
  • Flirt with Gabriela de Mendosa.
  • Sway the opinion of the room with carefully placed comments.
  • Determine the positions of the various factions.

0 voters

Who tf named her, I feel sorry for her

What does her name mean?

Hey nice, our subtlety increased again, it’s at 68% now.

You make your way around the room. When people make points you agree with, you provide additional support, leading people to agree with them while remaining unobtrusive. When people make points you disagree with, you quietly make statements that lead others into disagreeing with them. Your unobtrusively pull the sentiments of the Court towards your own position.

After the courtiers have had a couple of hours to discuss matters and politic, a chamberlain slams the butt of a ceremonial mace into the ground three times. “My lords, ladies, and gentles, Her Majesty the Queen.”

The room falls silent as the courtiers respectfully drop to their knees in homage to the Queen. The Queen gestures for them to rise. “We appreciate your attendance upon us in this difficult hour. Any who would wish to petition the Crown may do so.” You recognize the words as a traditional formula, part of the unwritten right of the nobility to advice the Queen on matters of state.

Following the traditional protocols, some of the hidalgos in the room step forward and kneel again, waiting to be recognized. Some of the Grandes signal their desire to speak by removing their hats without kneeling, while the greatest nobles can be recognized to speak by simply touching their hats.

The Queen will not be bound by the sentiments of the Court, but she will surely pay attention. Queens who ignore the will of their nobles too often face rebellions or at least vassals who do little to support the Crown.

Do you try to influence the Queen’s decision?

• Yes! I give a speech and also talk to many people quietly.
  • Yes, but through a public speech only. I am not a demagogue or conspirator to conduct a whispering campaign.
  • Yes, but not so obviously as giving a speech. I make quiet comments to the people around me and circulate through the room.
  • Yes, but I want to leave no signs of my involvement at all–a nudge here, a whisper there, that is all that it will take.
  • No.

0 voters

1 Like

You adroitly massage the sentiments of the room. A murmured comment here, a cutting point there, and you draw the support of the Court to your position, all without drawing any attention to yourself. Well done.

As the speechifying draws to a close, the Queen again resorts to a traditional formula. “We thank you for the advice you have offered us. Now, we should hear the words of the representative of our cousin, the Queen of Sahra.”

She gestures to the chamberlain, who in turn signals to the guards and announces as the doors swing open, “His Excellence the Ambassador and Minister Plenipotentiary of Sahra.”

The Ambassador sweeps in, dressed formally in the slightly exotic but still recognizable styles of Sahra and bows before the Queen. “Your Majesty. On behalf of the Queen of Sahra, I bring greetings and salutations.”

After the appropriate polite exchanges conclude, the Ambassador presents his arguments. He complains bitterly about the depredations of the bandits, while denying any misconduct on the part of Sahra. He does not make a formal request, but the implication is clear: Iberia ought to punish the borderlords and make reparations to Sahra.

The Queen nods in acknowledgment of the Ambassador’s statement. She listens to de Vega for a moment as her advisor whispers in her ear. Finally, for the first time on this day, the Queen gives a serious speech describing her position.

“We understand the arguments on all sides. First, let us address Sahra. Sahra’s recent conduct tries our patience. Despite any provocation, they had no justification for crossing our border in force. We must demand redress for such an infringement of our sovereign rights. We shall make Sahra pay in kind for their offense. All the same, we understand the importance of avoiding war. The years of peace have been good to both of our realms, and we will not do anything that threatens that peace.”

Doña Gabriela de Mendosa, the borderlords, and the young firebrands of the Court whisper amongst themselves in response to the Queen’s statement. They seem satisfied, if not overjoyed. In contrast, while Luis de Vega keeps his own counsel, he cannot suppress a satisfied smile as the Queen finishes her speech. Doña Carlota Torres and her allies, however, are concerned and worried.

The Queen continues. “As for the borderlords. We are displeased with our vassals. We do not believe that our vassals would engage in banditry, but they have abetted it. This must come to an end, and the borderlords must pay a price that will remind them to never transgress in such a way again. All of the borderlords must forfeit a heavy fine to the Crown, and the worst offenders must forfeit some of their lands as well. We know that it is hard to see lands that have been in a family for generations turned over to the Crown, but such is the price of disobedience.”

The borderlords flinch as the Queen announces this heavy punishment. To lose land–and likely the best of their lands–is one of the greatest fears of any noble family. But while they are angry and upset, the Court as a whole accepts the Queen’s statement with equanimity. The allies of the Borderlords, including the Duquesa de Aguilar and Doña Gabriela de Mendosa, are somewhat unhappy but nothing more. Don Luis de Vega nods with satisfaction, pleased at the Queen’s success in pulling more power and influence to the Crown. And Doña Carlota Torres is pleased to see the borderlords punished.

The Queen finishes her speech. With the royal position clear, the socially appropriate thing to do would simply be to fall in line behind the Queen. Nonetheless, there is still an opportunity to make one last speech to try to change Her Majesty’s mind. A few of the most aggrieved members of the Court signal that they wish to speak.

Do you speak up to try to influence the Queen?

• Yes, to persuade Her Majesty to be harsher towards Sahra.
  • Yes, to persuade Her Majesty to be more conciliatory towards Sahra.
  • Yes, to persuade Her Majesty to punish the borderlords more heavily.
  • Yes, to persuade Her Majesty to treat the borderlords better.
  • No.

0 voters

I feel everything is going well, surely this is the time to say nothing? We will only make enemies if we take a stand here.

1 Like