Politics? Intrigue? Let's play Choice of Romance: Affairs of the Court!

Uncle Pedro spreads his hands legs.

:blushing:

Lovely reputation. By now NepNep is the kind of person everyone warns you about but you just can’t stop listening to. :smug:

2 Likes

The King Consort is a de Aguilar, and the de Aguilar family is powerful in the Life Mage community and at Court. It will not be a simple matter to persuade the Queen to set him aside. You will need to craft a subtle and intricate plot.

Where will you go for ideas?

• I will attempt to discover if there was ever a scandal attached to the King Consort.
  • I will look through old records to see if there is legal precedent for a Queen setting a King Consort aside.
  • Maybe there’s something in books on Death or Life Magic that could help.
  • Perhaps Don Luis de Vega will have an idea how this might be accomplished.
  • On second thought, it would be much more straightforward to simply kill him instead.
  • On second thought, I’m not going to risk everything I have now in a grab for the throne.

0 voters

After a considerable amount of research, you determine that a King Consort can only be set aside for proven infidelity or dark magic. You find one example of a Death Mage King Consort accused of casting killing curses, and two examples of a Life Mage King Consort accused of using mind magic to get their own way. All three were exiled.

Even better, you find reference to the information that use of Life Mage mind-magic can rebound upon the Life Mage using it–making them sickly or deformed in body. It might be possible to connect the King Consort’s infertility with use of forbidden magic.

So what do you want to try? Attempt to discredit the King Consort by claiming he is guilty of infidelity, or by claiming he is guilty of mind-influencing magic?

• Infidelity.
  • Mind-influencing magic.

0 voters

Mind-influencing magic is a tough thing to prove
but it is also a tough thing to disprove. You can accuse the King Consort by mentioning his supposed misdeeds to the Queen casually, as though you have heard it so often you had no idea Her Majesty was unaware. You imagine that this will most effectively catch Her Majesty’s attention.

But for this to work, you need witnesses to swear to certain behavior on the part of the King Consort–purchasing components known to be used in mind-altering spells, for instance; drawing certain symbols in chalk; chanting certain words.

You should assemble your false witnesses before mentioning anything to the Queen.

Uncle Pedro agrees to help–as well he should, all things considered. The two of you agree to leave Aunt Leonor and Magdalena out of this, telling them just enough to be sure they will not contradict you in public.

Obviously it won’t be sufficient to have Uncle Pedro as the only witness attesting to the King Consort’s misdeeds. Who else do you ask, and how?

• The King Consort’s youngest sister, Flora, who is rumored to hate the King Consort.
  • Don Jaime de Peres has been plying me with sentimental glances and badly-composed serenades. While it is not uncommon for a courtier to pay such attention to the Queen’s favorite, there is something particularly intense about Don Jaime
I think I could persuade him to join me in telling this lie.
  • Elderly Don Raimundo de Lopes is beset by debts, and desperately seeking enough money to bring his son to Court next Season. I think I could bribe him to join me in telling this lie.
  • Doña Juliana Ortis is in waiting, as I once was. She is from a family of low degree, but so charmed Their Majesties that she was given a place at Court. Now (after many years in waiting) she is betrothed to a rich and highborn man, similarly too entranced by her loveliness to care about her background or her age
and she is therefore desperate that he never learn of her ongoing love affair with the groom called Moreno. I think I could threaten her into supporting my lie.
  • Perhaps I could persuade Don Luis de Vega to join my conspiracy.

0 voters

Flora de Aguilar is the forgotten youngest child of the de Aguilar family. Although she has her own place at Court, and was once married to a (now deceased) high-ranking man, she is said to be bitterly jealous of the power of Duquesa Constanza and the status of the King Consort. Still, this is an enormous thing you ask of her
to lie about her own sibling, and in so doing put her own family out of power?

You introduce your idea to her very carefully–expressing sympathy for her plight, reassuring her that the King Consort has not done well by her. Doña Flora does not seem particularly well-balanced: her eyes blaze with hatred as soon as you mention the King Consort’s name.

“It is a shame the Queen should be tied to him,” you say. “He is no good for Iberia, or for Her Majesty. If only there were some way
”

Once you have gotten the idea across (which takes some time), it is surprisingly easy to convince Doña Flora that her life would be better with you on the throne than it is now. She agrees to aid your conspiracy.

Are you satisfied with the support you have secured for your plan? Are you going to put the idea into the Queen’s head or abandon the plan as too risky?

• Abandon the plan. I do not want to risk losing everything I have gained.
  • Speak to the Queen.

0 voters

Now we need to remember to pay our debts in case that’ll be a future decision. Just as a headsup.

1 Like

It is a subtle matter, and takes several conversations to accomplish. You sympathize with her grief of the lack of an heir
you wish on Her Majesty’s behalf that her marriage to the King Consort brought her more joy. You comment that it is a shame about the King Consort’s dishonorable actions

The Queen does not like this idea at all. “What?”

“Why, I meant–you know,” you say, as though it should be obvious
and then you pretend confusion, and claim the story to be so popular that you assumed the Queen knew of it and cared not, and

Her pride outraged, the Queen demands that her advisors investigate your accusation.

The investigation turns up some surprisingly strong witnesses who tell the same story you do (as you knew it would).

The Queen demands the matter be heard in open Court.

The King Consort, horrified, asserts that he is innocent of such slander. But it is difficult to disprove such an allegation. You and your witness claim to have heard the King Consort’s misdeeds discussed as though they were common knowledge; all the King Consort’s witnesses can say is that they have no knowledge of such a thing.

The Queen listens to speech after speech, chin resting on her hand and eyes fixed in the distance. When all the witnesses have spoken, there is a long silence. Finally the Queen says, “The Court will reconvene tomorrow morning. We will render our judgement at that time.”

The following morning, you take great care to dress in a manner that is both attractive and respectable. You flock to the Great Hall with everyone else, anxious to hear Her Majesty’s judgement.

The Queen sits, tall and terrible, atop her throne. All at once, she rises, and the room falls silent.

“Bring him in,” she orders a guard.

The guard disappears, and returns leading the King Consort. He is dressed in something drab and dark, and is not wearing a crown or any jewels at all.

Your heart pounds. Your conspiracy worked. The Queen is going to set the King Consort aside.

The Queen does not glance his way even once. She looks around the room instead, speaking calmly and clearly.

“It has been proven to our satisfaction that Esteban, once called King Consort, has betrayed us. This is no light matter. Betrayal of a Queen is treason. And to treason there can only be one answer.”

A gasp runs through the room. All the blood drains out of the King Consort’s face. Luis de Vega stares at the Queen in shock; clearly he was not informed of what the Queen’s judgement would be. “Um, Your Majesty,” he is heard to say softly. “Treason–?”

The Queen gestures him to silence. “For the crime of treason, we sentence Esteban de Aguilar to death by beheading. Sentence to be carried out at once.”

The King Consort cries out in horror, falling to his knees. “Your Majesty! Agustina! I have ever been true and faithful and loving, I swear–”

The Queen turns away.

Esteban de Aguilar is executed that very morning, still protesting his innocence, before a crowd that seems too stunned to really believe what they are seeing. You’re not sure you believe it yourself.

The following day, the Queen holds Court again. To the surprise of everyone there, including yourself, she announces her intention to marry again. To marry you, in short.

The metaphorical howl of outrage from the de Aguilar family, and from the country in general, is enough to shake the palace walls
but what do you care for that? The Queen asks for your hand in marriage, and you accept. You have won the highest prize imaginable. The crown is yours.

with all the comfort, luxury, amusement, and personal power that implies. Anything you fancy that money can buy is yours for the requesting; if you find yourself wanting something less tangible, it is usually straightforward enough to get that too. Not only is the Queen willing to grant your desires (be they whims or something more serious), but others in the Court now consider you to be a friend worth having, and see advantage to themselves in your being kindly disposed towards them, or at least in your owing them favors.

But there is a sharp downside to your position, as well. The day your betrothal is formally announced, you are aware of all the eyes fixed on you: the hatred on the face of the Duquesa de Aguilar and Princess Juanita; the horror in the expressions of the prominent Life Mages; the interested appraisal from Luis de Vega, the guardians of young TomĂĄs de Reyes, and the prominent Death Mages.

You have won yourself a most powerful and impressive position.

now the question is, can you keep it?

Okay, with that ends the first part of our LP. Before I go into the next part there are two things!

First, although we hadn’t gotten ANY achievements so far (Yeah, you guys suck) this update gave us three achievements! Yeah :D! Here they are:

Royal Calumny: The Monarch’s spouse was beheaded. (25 points)
Royal Wedding: Married the Monarch. (75 points)
Choice of Romance: Survived the first episode. (10 points)

Second, is there any feedback or something you people wish to give? Stuff like how can this be improved, how do you like it so far and etc.

Next part starts tomorrow! We are just getting started guys. :3

4 Likes

yay, we win!

I was convinced that we were dead the second we were given a choice as to whether we should go through with the plan, but I guess not!

So is the next part a full continuation? We’ve got our goal now but we can do better obviously.

Also, only 62% wealth? We have everything in the land, what the fuck?

2 Likes

More fire magic.
More fire in general.

2 Likes

I like the fast updates.

Also, when you just want him exiled but the scheme goes too well and he gets killed instead.
Pretty good way to end part 1, let’s see who NepNep screws over next.

1 Like

The next part starts with a time jump but yes it is a continuation.

And as for fires
 Can’t promise anything :3

And thanks Blackrune! They are fast because of my policies in updating. I update either when the vote has an obvious favor or when I hit 10 votes and the margin is like 2-3 votes at least or when I hit the 12 hours mark. Keeps it fun :smiley:

Sorry about the week break, was on vacation! Now let’s continue with Part II: Choice of Intrigues!

“Is he not beautiful?” you say to the Queen. Agustina does not reply.

Five years have passed. It is a hot summer day in the city of Orovilla. You and the Queen stand in your palace apartments, looking down at your newborn son in his cradle. It took a frighteningly long time for the two of you to find a Life Mage willing to perform the spell that would grant you a child, notwithstanding the fact that Agustina is the Queen. Neither you nor the Queen are favorites with the Life Mage Houses nowadays, for obvious reasons.

But Ricardo was worth the wait. He is a fine healthy child, with pink cheeks and your golden hair and blue eyes and the Queen’s forehead and mouth
and he is a Death Mage, like both of his parents.

“There was never any great likelihood of him being a Life Mage,” you say cautiously. There was, in fact, no more than a 1 in 100 chance that a Death Mage (such as yourself) and a Death Mage with some Life Mage blood (like the Queen) would engender a Life Mage child.

Agustina shakes herself out of a reverie. “Oh, I know. It is only that it would have made things much easier.” She kisses you absently on the forehead and turns away. Her interactions with you are increasingly impersonal these days.

How are you going to respond?

• Angrily.
  • Tearfully.
  • Charmingly.
  • I just let her go.

0 voters

As you have done so often before, you arrange your lips into a charming smile. “It would have,” you agree. “I wish I could make things easier for you.”

She turns around, trying to smile back. “Oh, you do that quite well, I assure you.”

“Ricardo is a fine, healthy child,” you say. “We can have another healthy child. Perhaps the next time
”

“Perhaps,” the Queen says.

“And between now and next time,” you say coquettishly, “I am certain we could think of something to do that will ease the pressures upon you
”

Agustina’s smile is genuine that time. She steps towards you, eying your laces. “Right now? In the middle of the afternoon? How decadent.”

There is a tap on the door. You feel like cursing, but keep the pleasant look on your face.

“Yes?” the Queen calls.

It is a messenger from de Vega, requesting a few minutes of the Queen’s time before Court convenes.

“Ah, yes, of course. Tell him to come to my study. I shall be there directly.” The Queen kisses you quickly. “Duty calls, alas. I shall see you at Court.” She hurries out the door before you can say anything in reply.

You turn away from the door and return to staring down at your child. You know what Agustina meant by “it would have made things much easier.”

Though you are Queen Consort, your life has not been altogether pleasant these past five years. The prominent Life Mage families of Iberia openly loathe you, blaming you and the Queen equally for the death of King Consort Esteban. Shortly after your betrothal, Flora de Aguilar (the younger sister of the late King Consort) went so far as to accuse you of conspiring in Esteban’s death. The Queen had her shut away as a madwoman, and this demonstration of the Queen’s power effectively discouraged others from making public accusations against you in Court.

Nothing can stop the silent undercurrents of hatred from the Life Mage families, however, or from your stepdaughter Juanita. Worse, no command of the Queen’s can make the common folk love you as they did Esteban. You are not often actually booed in the streets
but you have never once been cheered.

And worst of all
the hatred of the Life Mages has begun to have serious consequences for Iberia.

The south has been unquiet for several months now. While no borderlord is actually in a state of rebellion, an unusual number of disputes have taken place between the soldiers of the Queen and the soldiers of local lords. The Duquesa de Aguilar, who left Court just before the disquiet began, is widely assumed to be encouraging and coordinating it. No one doubts her motives are as much personal as political.

What actions, if any, have you taken with regard to the situation in the south?

• I have tried to promote reconciliation between the Queen and Family de Aguilar (and the rest of the borderlords). I have been unsuccessful so far–and no wonder, all things considered–but I live in hope.
  • I have encouraged the Queen’s anger against Family de Aguilar (and the rest of the borderlords). I cannot have her reconciling with them. It would endanger my position.
  • I have taken no action.

0 voters

War will have to suffice for now.

2 Likes

I am so ready to fight the borderlords. It will be good practice for when we eventually take over the world. :smug:

2 Likes

Indeed. If the queen loses interest in us, her problem, because that means she’ll end up on the chopping block next :cackle:

2 Likes

This game is about our choice of romance, right? If Beatrice taught me anything, it’s that murder is the purest form of romance :cackle:

7 Likes

You know the common people would like you more, and the fangs of the Life Mages would be effectively pulled, if you could only manage to give the Queen a Life Mage child. It was not absolutely impossible that Ricardo could have been one
and you hoped for it fervently
but alas, your hope was in vain.

At least you have Luis de Vega as an ally. You and he spend many hours together, with Her Majesty and sometimes even without her, discussing the issues that face Iberia and the best ways to address them. You know your alienation of the Life Mage families has made de Vega’s job much harder than it used to be, but–perhaps because of the Queen’s regard for you, perhaps because of his own–he never throws it in your face.

A bell tolls in the distance, and you rouse yourself with a start. You have been sitting and daydreaming for a long time. It is more than time you got dressed for Court.

“What gown do you wish me to fetch for you, Your Majesty?” the servant asks as you lead the way into your dressing room. “There is the blue gown, the one trimmed with peacock feathers
” Peacock feathers cost a fortune, and therefore demonstrate the wearer’s wealth in a polite but unmistakable fashion. “Or the gray gown with the high collar is back from being mended. Or
” The servant does not raise her eyes or alter her tone in a manner even slightly objectionable, but the words reveal that she overheard every word that passed between you and the Queen. “There is the red one.” The red gown is the most daring piece of clothing in your possession. Agustina has declared it to be her favorite more than once, but it is risque even for a ball, and you are only going down to Court.

Which do you tell the servant to fetch for you?

• The rich blue gown.
  • The respectable and sensible gray gown.
  • The sexy red gown.

0 voters

I’m going for the red one since while I would go for the gray gown to try to give the common folk some better opinion of us, responding “charmingly” worked earlier
so just for consistency’s sake I guess.