Politics? Intrigue? Let's play Choice of Romance: Affairs of the Court!

I guess it’s technically too late to start caring about our reputation.

I don’t know about that.
A sexy warlord is kinda cool in term of reputation.

The servant helps you don the red, and without asking brings you a selection of jewelry inlaid with rubies and garnets.

There is a tap on the door.

“Yes?” you call.

Another servant pokes her head deferentially inside. “It is your sister Doña Magdalena, Your Majesty. Shall I show her in?”

“Yes, of course.” The servants know that Magdalena is always welcome here, unless you and the Queen are enjoying some time alone.

She comes through the door in a swoosh of cloth and a sparkle of gemstones. Since marrying the extremely wealthy widower Don Felix de Chaves two years ago, Magdalena is usually so attired. She still approaches life with the enthusiasm of the fourteen-year-old she was when you both came to Court. Granted, she no longer runs down the corridors and she has acquired some understanding of the functioning of the world, but she still tends to see the bright side and speak in exclamations. Her marriage to Don Felix is reasonably happy. They have no children as yet, but Magdalena is very fond of her young stepdaughter Rosa, Don Felix’s child by his first marriage.

“Oh, NepNep!” Magdalena says, speaking in exclamations as usual. “That is an excellent choice of gown–you look wonderful! It cries out for jewelry to finish the picture, though.” She comes over to sit beside you and begins pawing through your jewelry boxes. You dismiss the servants with a nod.

Magdalena’s chatter washes over you, and you pay little attention, giving only a vague yes or no as she debates the merits of various jewels and discourses on what other courtiers have been seen wearing today. You do not expect Magdalena to have noticed–her good fortune has made her somewhat self-absorbed–but when she stands to fasten a clasp around your neck, she says, “What makes you so melancholy today?”

“Oh,” you say, trying to shrug it off, “am I melancholy?”

“Yes,” Magdalena says firmly. “What is it?” She drops her voice, even though there are no servants in the room. “Is the Queen upset over Ricardo being a Death Mage?”

What do you say?

• I admit it is true.
  • I deny it.

0 voters

1 Like

You nod without speaking, and Magdalena pats your shoulder in a comforting manner. “I was afraid that was it. Listen, NepNep…”

Magdalena takes a deep breath before continuing. “I heard some of the older courtiers talking last night. About you, and the baby, and the need for an heir, and all. One of them said that there’s an old bit of magic–Life Magic, naturally–that can increase the odds of having a child of one affiliation or the other. Faithless women use it sometimes, to cover an indiscretion. Maybe you could find a Life Mage powerful enough to…”

How do you react?

• This is foolishness–no Life Mage would help me–and I tell Magdalena as much.
  • I humor Magdalena, even though it is far-fetched.
  • The Life Mages hate me, but even so, I must pursue any chance that I can find.

0 voters

1 Like

“Perhaps you are right, Magdalena. We will have to search vigorously for any hints of a Life Mage willing to help us–this will not be easy. But the rewards could be great…”

Magdalena nods excitedly, caught up in the idea. “I promise you, NepNep, I will stop at nothing to find a Life Mage to help you. I know how much this means to you.”

“Thank you, Magdalena. I have always known that I could count on you for anything. Now, come, we had better go down to Court.”

In the corridor, you are joined by Uncle Pedro. Life at the center of Court agrees with him, and he looks happy and prosperous–and handsome in a new coat of black with silver buttons. His fourth new coat in as many months, you happen to know. Wealth agrees with him, too. And it agrees with Aunt Leonor, who is off in the country, happily managing their new estate.

Uncle Pedro greets you pleasantly and falls in behind you, as is only appropriate. You lead the way to the stairway.

Below you stretches a hallway full of courtiers and servants bustling to and fro. Most of them are making for the entrance to the Grand Hall, as you are. Suddenly the bustle stops, and the crowd parts neatly in two. You know what that means. You pause in your descent down the staircase to watch the Queen come purposefully down the corridor with de Vega just behind her. Both Agustina’s face and de Vega’s are dark and worried. Whatever business they were just discussing, it was not good.

“Oh, Your Majesty!” a high voice calls. “Your Majesty!”

The Queen stops. All heads turn in the direction of the voice. A girl all in white scampers up to the Queen, golden hair streaming behind her. “You dropped this, Your Majesty,” she says breathlessly, holding out a scarf.

The Queen’s black look lifts slightly from her face. She smiles indulgently. “Aren’t you a sweet thing. We thank you.” She reaches out and caresses the girl’s cheek, and she drops into a low curtsy, practically wiggling like a puppy in her delight at receiving attention.

You recognize the girl now. Adelita de Delgado, sixteen years of age, come to Court for the Season. Her father is an hildago of a wealthy upstart Life Mage house.

You feel Uncle Pedro’s hand close over your arm.

“Rise, rise,” the Queen says, and Adelita does. “Are you coming to see our Court?” The girl nods with wide eyes and parted lips. “Excellent. We hope you find it instructive.”

“Oh, I am sure I will, Your Majesty!” Adelita says. The Queen smiles again at her enthusiasm, and dismisses her with a nod.

What are you going to do?

• Storm down the stairs and make a scene. How dare Agustina publicly flirt with that girl?
  • Say something calm but cutting. Let Agustina know I saw and do not approve.
  • Pretend I saw nothing, or that I saw but do not care. It is beneath my dignity to challenge the Queen over her flirtations.

0 voters

Probably the right response–anything else would only make matters worse. Still, it is a frightening thing to watch the Queen looking at a pretty girl.

The Queen turns back to de Vega and they enter the Great Hall together. You are not certain if any of the crowd in the hallway are eyeing you as you pass them.

At the doorway to the Great Hall, you come face to face with Princess Juanita. She regards you calmly, almost expressionlessly, with the very faintest of poisonous smiles. She must have been listening to the exchange regarding the Queen’s scarf.

“Your Majesty,” Juanita says in a polite tone but with hard eyes. “I hope this fine day finds you well. And how fares your child Ricardo?”

There is nothing remotely objectionable about the words, but as she meets your gaze, the hatred in her eyes makes a shiver run up your spine.

How do you respond?

• Blandly, as though I took her words at face value.
  • In a friendly manner. I will not ignore any opportunity to try to build a better relationship with her.
  • With words and a tone that match her poisonous feigned politeness.

0 voters

“He fares very well indeed,” you say enthusiastically. “It is kind of you to inquire. I think he may have even smiled at Agustina this morning, though the nurses say he is still too young. You really must come and spend some time with us, Juanita. He is your brother, after all. I know the Queen would like it if you became fond of each other.”

“Ah, yes,” Juanita murmurs darkly. “My ‘brother.’ I suppose I should take the opportunity to become better acquainted with my ‘brother.’”

There are many ways that could be taken, and many ways you could respond. What do you say?

• “Well, your half-brother, then. I know it is an awkward situation, Juanita, but he is still your family.”
  • “Are you implying something, Juanita?”
  • “How dare you threaten my child, Juanita?”

0 voters

1 Like

“An awkward situation does not even begin to describe it,” Juanita spits, “and neither of you are my family.”

At this moment, the Queen comes around the corner. It is plain from her expression that she heard the entire exchange, and Juanita looks somewhat taken aback. The Queen gives Juanita a reproving look. When you are sure Her Majesty is not looking, you smile at Juanita.

The chamberlain sees you approach the doors of the Great Hall, and bows deeply. He slams a ceremonial mace into the floor. “My lords, ladies, and gentles,” he intones, “the Queen Consort.”

Everyone in the room bows deeply or falls into a curtsy as you make your way to your seat–a throne slightly below and behind the Queen’s.

“We appreciate your attendance upon us,” the Queen says with perfunctory courtesy. “Don Felix, we have heard your report in private. Let us have it now where all our attendants may hear.”

Magdalena’s husband comes forward and bows deeply. He is a handsome man of middle age–black hair streaked with silver and black eyes marred by crows’-feet, but still of powerful and vigorous physique–and of battlefield talents sufficient to put him in charge of the Queen’s southern forces. “My lords, ladies, and gentles,” he begins. “I have just received reports from the south.”

The reports from the south are never cause for cheer.

As if the situation with the borderlords was not bad enough, a greatly disquieting report reached the Court last month from one of de Chaves’ spies: it appears as though Sahra is intending to take advantage of the discord along the border to seize some long-coveted lands for itself.

De Chaves continues, “I fear the tidings are most grave. We may now officially say that Sahra has invaded. We have received word that Sahran forces crashed through the border and made at once for Platavilla. The fortifications of Platavilla were overrun almost at once–another example of the cursed teleportation magic against which we have no defense. The city of Ricada is in great peril. We are in need of more soldiers and more supplies, but have experienced delays in obtaining both from the Aguilar lands.”

As courtiers murmur over this unsettling news, you become aware of a commotion in the corridor outside. A guard appears in the doorway, looking flushed and annoyed. “Your Majesty, my most humble apologies for this disturbance. There is a–a petitioner here, who wishes to address you before the Court. She comes–” The guard looks as though he would much rather not be delivering this news. “–she comes under a flag of truce from Duquesa Constanza de Aguilar.”

The Queen’s face turns purple. “Let her approach,” she barks.

The messenger is a pretty young woman unknown to you. She holds carefully aloft a pole from which flutter a white flag of truce and a banner displaying the device of House de Aguilar. She bows as deeply as she can manage with her burden.

“What have you to say?” the Queen demands.

“My mistress the Duquesa bids me express her concern over the situation with Sahra. She says that when Iberia is threatened, it is a time for all Iberians to stand together, and set aside their personal differences for a happier season. Therefore, you may count upon her assistance in defending the border against the barbarians from Sahra…”

“…if, as a gesture of good faith, Your Majesty confirms Princess Juanita’s standing as heir to the throne, and agrees to betroth the Princess to the Duquesa’s eldest child.”

The entire Court seems to be holding its breath. As one, every courtier turns to look at the Queen.

What do you think she should do?

• A Queen must not allow herself to be blackmailed! She should refuse!
  • This action would destroy any chance of my son inheriting the throne! Of course the Queen should refuse!
  • We need Aguilar’s assistence right now. Perhaps the Queen should agree.

0 voters

The Queen apparently agrees with you.

She looks as though she is about to spit fire. “Hear me now–no Monarch of Iberia would ever accept such a proposal, made by one so unworthy of trust!” She sweeps from the room in a swirl of silk and fury, and de Vega, stammering just a little, declares Court to be over for the day.

The room dissolves into murmuring and fluttering. Magdalena stares at you, aghast; your uncle jerks his head in the direction of the corridor, obviously intending that you should accompany him. Luis de Vega does not call attention to himself with speech or movement, but his eyes meet yours for a moment before he turns to leave the room.

What do you do?

• Run after the Queen.
  • Accompany my uncle and Magdalena to a place where the three of us may confer privately.
  • Wait a few moments for the sake of discretion, then follow Luis de Vega to a place where the two of us may confer privately.

0 voters

Sorry for the late update, was waiting for the tie to break. But it didn’t. So random it is.

You shake your head slightly at Uncle Pedro, making a motion you hope he will interpret as “later”. You spend a few moments lingering in the Great Hall, listening to opinions wash over you. Unsurprisingly, you discover that one faction supports placating Aguilar, either out of genuine belief that the family has been wronged or from fear of the Sahrans, while another faction finds the idea of investing Aguilar with more power more fearful than the idea of a Sahran invasion. As soon as you judge discretion has been satisfied, you slip from the room and make your way to the walled garden just outside the palace’s southern door. You have met de Vega here before, when a worrisome situation seemed to call for private conference.

The garden is a peaceful sanctuary from the bustle of Court. Orange trees fill the air with a sweet fragrance, and a small fountain bubbles pleasantly into a little pool. Luis de Vega is sitting by the fountain, looking like a grim carrion bird in his gray coat. He rises when he sees you approach.

“Your Majesty.”

“Don Luis,” you reply. You sit on the bench beside the fountain and de Vega sits beside you. “This is a most disquieting situation.”

“That is one word for it,” de Vega replies. He rubs at his forehead. “This state of affairs in the the south was of grave concern before the Duquesa’s ‘offer’ of assistance. I dislike the idea of the Queen relying overmuch on Aguilar, under the current circumstances. I much prefer Her Majesty to have the upper hand.”

“Do you agree with Her Majesty that Aguilar’s offer must be refused, then?”

De Vega slowly shakes his head. “No, on balance I believe the best course of action would be acceptance. I dislike it, but I dislike the Sahran threat far more. Her Majesty should give Aguilar what it wants for the moment. When the border is secure against Sahra, we can investigate a way to bring the Duquesa under better control. Do you agree?”

How do you reply?

• “I entirely agree, Don Luis. Our priority should be to end the Sahran threat, even if it means granting Aguilar more power than we might otherwise consider prudent.”
  • “I do not see the situation that way, Don Luis. If we allow Juanita’s betrothal to the Duquesa’s eldest, House Aguilar will accumulate far too much power. And there is a way to peace with Sahra without strengthening House Aguilar–the Queen should marry Juanita to the eldest Sahran prince.”
  • “You may be right, Don Luis, but you must see that I cannot agree to Juanita’s being named heir and being betrothed to the Duquesa’s eldest! My first objective must be to safeguard Ricardo’s future.”
  • “The threats of Aguilar and Sahra matter much less to me than what I witnessed in the corridor before Court began. Did you see Agustina flirting with that Delgado girl?”

0 voters

You do not need to mention the other benefit of this plan–it moves Juanita far away from the throne of Iberia and her brother Ricardo.

De Vega contemplates it. “I dislike the idea of buying peace with our old enemies…but I like the idea of the Duquesa’s hands around Iberia’s throat even less. Very well, Your Majesty. We will do as you suggest. The Queen will not be easy to convince, but we both can try.”

You and de Vega agree that you will each attempt to convince the Queen of the wisdom of this plan. De Vega thanks you for your time, bows, and takes his leave.

However, you get no chance to discuss matters with the Queen that night. Though you sit waiting in your chambers all evening, she does not send for you.

A hunt has long been planned for the following day. You wonder if the Queen will wish it to go forward, given last night’s disquieting news, but she gives no contrary order. You watch the hunt’s participants mill about in the courtyard below, and plan how you will spend the day.

Many courtiers are going along, either to hunt or to watch. There will doubtless be many opportunities for casual chat that you can use to influence various people towards your own opinions. On the other hand, it might be wiser to spend the day close to the Queen, as it is far more important her opinion match yours than anyone else’s. Then again, perhaps the Queen would be easier to persuade if it were known that most of her Court supported one course of action over another.

As you ponder this, you see a flash of scarlet down below. Little Adelita de Delgado is flitting through the crowd. You had not realized until now that she was to be part of the hunt. The Queen is not yet there to observe her, but some of her advisors are watching her with indulgence for her childishness or appreciation for her beauty.

What are you going to do?

• Well, that settles it. I will be sure to stay at the Queen’s side during the hunt. I cannot have Adelita taking advantage of my absence. I need to make sure the Queen remembers why she loves me.
  • I will stay by the Queen’s side, but not because I am jealous of the Delgado girl. I will take advantage of this opportunity to discuss Juanita’s betrothal.
  • I can talk with the Queen later. It would be better to take this opportunity to subtly influence the opinion of the Court.

0 voters

This “Adelita” is far below us. We do not need consider her!

We were once below thr King Consort and where is he? Plus, shes a life mage, the queen has more to gain if she decides to like her more than us.

Sorry, busy day and a short update. Here you go guys:

And of what do you hope to persuade the Queen?

• Juanita should be betrothed to the Duquesa de Aguilar’s child.
  • Juanita should be betrothed to a prince of Sahra as a means of ending the southern conflict without giving into Aguilar’s blackmail.

0 voters