Rokkenjima Mafia - Game I [Game Over - Witch Side Victory]

Entirely OOC post:

Well, that was a fun first day! RIP Eisen. I can’t say you didn’t bring this upon yourself, as you were all so willing to back in the last gameboard.

As you can all see, I started this game all too willing to roleplay, which some people are playing along with, and others aren’t too keen about. My sole reason fore roleplaying is because the Crimson Sorcerer himself provided an interesting and elaborate setting, along with unique characters. If he provided just a name with skills and no personality, I wouldn’t be all too willing to roleplay.

Should I continue doing this? Or would it be better that I treat this as a simple game with the intent of winning, as opposed to exploring the setting and characters given? Or am I free to do pretty much as I please? I won’t deny that my actions as of now have been primarily driven by what I think my character would do and/or say (though having it biased by my own personal preference is unavoidable).

2 Likes

Personally I enjoyed what you did. It brought some flavor to the game and it made the discussion period more interesting. It seemed like the game was leaning more towards something different, but as long as it doesn’t conflict with the game rules, I don’t think it would pose a problem.

I say it adds to the game experience more than it takes away, I’d be down for some more dramatic Rokkenjima mafia.

2 Likes

It was good, but role-playing can conflict with the mechanics of Mafia, where your anonymity is important. You can almost think of it as a masquerade where everyone is trying to hide their true identity. In that case, role-playing adds another layer of complexity that may not be beneficial to the game.

If you were dead set on assuming a character’s role, then I guess it couldn’t hurt to act as that character, whether it’s who you really are or not. But there are instances where speaking ooc for strategic purposes is necessary.

I guess we could think of this as, all the players are meta beings. I’m the worldend administrator Aspirety, and i am participating in this gameboard. I have a piece I am in control of, but you guys don’t know who it is yet, so I can proclaim my role on the gameboard as any piece I want, but you guys won’t be able to confirm that until I’m dead.

Yes, maybe we can incorporate some role-playing if we treat it like this…

2 Likes

Role playing right from the start is problematic because all the demons have to forge a role with close to nothing to go on. Now all players have seen 1 genuine role along with the example and Pepe’s supposed one, so it’s probably a lot easier now. Right off the bat it would break the game mechanic, and that wouldn’t be fun.

Well, at the very least, all of my actions support both what I believe my character would do in the setting, and what I believe I need in order to play this game in a more effective manner than just random guessing. As such, while anonymity is important, these decisions were not made on a whim.

Granted, it does bring down my credibility, but oh well.

1 Like

The rest of the day was without incident, a eerie quietness covered the mansion after the events of lunch. Eventually, they gathered once more for dinner, but this time the meal was nothing to celebrate about. The food’s drop in quality due to the death of their chef reflected the atmosphere of the house. After eating, they all went their separate ways, heading to their rooms.

A young girl stopped her parent on the way through the hallways, and had a long chat that went late into the night. Another adult of the house had come to check on them, worried the older of the two might come to harm, but found nothing to worry about.

On the floor below, another adult woman was following someone at a distance, suspicious of the fact they’d been quite active during the day. The young man was the one to read the letter, after all, and she couldn’t shake off the feeling he might be up to something now that the family had turned in for the night. However, it became clear in time that the man had no plans to seek anyone out, and was just enjoying a stroll. With fatigue starting to catch up with her, she headed back to bed.

Unfortunately, she wasn’t the only one who had been watching the young man. Before he could even realize he wasn’t alone, the man felt a sudden sharp pain in his chest, and looked down to see blood gushing out from his heart. He fell to the floor, and in his last moments cursed the fact that he had to leave before his love.

DaBackpack is dead, he was George Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Perfect Son

You have 48 Hours to decide on your votes, with the phase ending at 12:30PM EST, on Saturday the 13th of August.

With 8 Players remaining, the majority lynch is at 5. If majority is achieved, the vote will be frozen and the player nominated will be killed as soon as the Game Master is available. If majority is not achieved during the Phase, the player with the most votes at the end of the time limit will be killed.

Enjoy your day.

@Karifean @Aspirety @DaBackpack @RedEspeon @Yerian @StarTurner @cjlim2007 @Pepe @HeliosAlpha

1 Like

That experience made him a target. Poor bastard never stood a chance.
Now I have a specific person that, if they survive the next night, is very suspicious.

Furthermore, regarding Pepe, I think his role can be trusted. At first I thought the “Devoted Wing” sounded too dumb to be real, but now I think it’s too dumb to be fake. Also, it’s not like Pepe could remember that plot point, right?
The people who killed Eisen are also worthy of some suspicion, so I considered Yerian again, but I’m gonna do this for now.

Vote: No Death

1 Like

May I ask, @HeliosAlpha, why you are choosing to vote No Death? Did we not establish that doing so is to act in favour of the Sorcerer?

1 Like

Personally, I am slightly dubious regarding the people who have been completely and utterly silent thus far. @cjlim2007, @StarTurner, where are you?

1 Like

Like I said, I want to see who the demons choose next. Furthermore, we’ve struck 2 landmines already. Assuming there are 2-3 demons, we don’t have as much leeway anymore.

1 Like

Oh and in case I don’t live to name my suspect, you better win anyway.

1 Like

In my defense, unless I voted for someone else, it would have been very likely that I would be killed. In the first day, none of us had any information, so we either choose someone randomly to lynch, or wait around and do nothing. Either way, with my name popping up first, I had the highest probability of being voted by the majority unless I proposed another name.

In my opinion, we should be thinking about this statistically. Lets go by Helios’s assumption that there are 2-3 demons, lets choose 3 just to lay out our worst case scenario:

If we vote for another person randomly, we have a 3/8 chance of choosing a demon, and 5/8 of chosing a human. Then when the demons kill again, there is a 100% chance they will kill a human. Essentially, 3/8 chance we lose one human, kill one demon (neutral outcome); 5/8 chance we lose two (very negative outcome)

However, if we vote No Death, then there is a 100% chance we lose one, and zero chance we lose two. (negative outcome)

This of course is assuming we still pick someone randomly. But unless someone speaks up, that is pretty much the position we are still in.

Now we have to decide how much we are willing to gamble.

But if you think about it, it’s also much safer for the demon side to opt for no deaths. A 100% chance of victory is better than a small chance of failure, even if the outcome is greater. If I were a Demon, I’d want to convince the humans to avoid putting up a fight and let death come to them unchallenged.

1 Like

I agree with Aspi on this one. The logic Yerian set out is a flawed in that the 3/8 chance of killing one demon and losing one human isn’t exactly neutral. I believe it is more positive than not. The win conditions for demons is to have enough people to outnumber humans. If we assume that there are 3 demons in this game, then the current score is 5:3 which is not very good for us. If a demon dies at the expense of a human, then surely that is a human advantage no? The score will go to 4:2 assuming that a demon will kill a human which means that it takes a lot more effort on the demon side to win if a demon is killed. That is why I believe your logic is flawed.

Now, I have been called out by Karifean for being too silent. I understand that I am suspicious for being silent. To clear that up I will start speaking. So now, I think we should force StarTurner to come out of hiding as well by voting for him.

Vote: StarTurner

1 Like

Apologies for being silent, as this is my first game of this ever, I’ve more been on the side of just observing things to get an idea of how this all works… From what I can tell, the only possible advantage to not lynching anyone is that we’d get a higher amount of night abilities… But if more people die, it really wouldn’t work out… So someone probably has to be lynched… Is there any way to decide who without just guessing?

1 Like

As I listen to this discussion, I slam my hands on the table

All of you start this talk about probability and winning but none of you are remembering: two of our family have passed away because of this curse! I know Gouda wasn’t always easy to get along with, but he was a good man and a great chef. And George, poor George, my nephew. Poor George was all alone, with nobody to help him, while all of you were only concerned with winning.

You all act as if this is a game, but our lives are on the line. The lives of our family are on the line. I think what has happened so far is proof enough that the Crimson Sorcerer is going by his word. While Gouda may be a bit… Strange, at times, I know he would not suddenly give up his life, if not for you folks who chose to vote against him.

Frankly, as it stands the one who arouses the most suspicion is the woman who was following him. However, without anybody revealing anything about themselves, we remain at a shot in the dark. And do you wish to continue shooting our guns in the dark as more and more innocents lose ther lives?

I do not wish to blame those who chose to vote for Gouda. Perhaps you were afraid, and I understand he wasn’t the easiest person to get along with. However, once again, I implore. We need to learn more about each other. We need to separate those who lie from those who say the truth. Any inconsistencies will show themselves from the people who lie, and if we work together, I am sure we would be able to find those all the more easier. Then we can finally make choices like civilized human beings, with both compassion and logic.

2 Likes

OOC:

As much as I dislike it, you’re not wrong. I have no idea what “devoted wing” has to do with Natsuhi, and even if it has plot relevance, I doubt I would be able to make it up on my own. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

With just over 20 hours remaining, the votes stand at:

No Death - 1 (HeliosAlpha)
StarTurner - 1 (cjlim2007)

All this numbers and probability talk is giving me Zero Time Dilemma flashbacks

3 Likes

What happens if multiple people have the same number of votes?

I get to flip a coin

1 Like