Rokkenjima Mafia - Game I [Game Over - Witch Side Victory]

Hello, children of the Island. Welcome to Rokkenjima, or at least this personal distortion. This Gameboard is styled as a ‘Mafia’ Game, a competitive flow of logic, thinking, trust, and analysis, that you and your fellow players must come together, to unite or fool others, into your victory.

“What is Mafia?” you may ask. To put it simply, a mafia game pits an uninformed majority – in this case, the “Human Side” – against an informed minority – the “Witch Side” – with each side trying to eliminate the others, and the last team standing wins

1. The Witch Side know who their teammates are and may communicate with them outside of the thread
  2. The Human Side players only know their own identity and cannot communicate with other members about the game outside of this thread

This Mafia is, of course, themed after 07th Expansion, this game solely on Umineko – each participant will be assigned a character from the game; combined with your alignment, this makes up your “Role.” Most characters will also be assigned an ability that allows them to take a special action under certain circumstances.

----Game Progression----

The game is divided into two alternating phases:

In the Daylight Phases, members vote in-thread on who they would like to lynch; if a majority of the participants can agree on one person, then that person is Killed. If no agreement can be reached, then whichever member has to most votes against them at the end of the 48-hour time limit is Killed. If there are multiple members with the same number of votes, then the Victim will be determined randomly from the tie.

During the Twilight Phases, members with active abilities can send a Private Message to the Game Master with who and/or how they want to use their ability. Night actions may be changed or canceled at any time during the 24-hour time limit.

----Voting----

When voting, please do so in bold, and separated from the body of your post, like so:

Vote: Bonecuss

Keeping it between paragraphs and bolded will make it easier for the Game Master to recognize and count your vote. As we are just starting, I will be lenient, but this will be enforced more over time.

When changing a vote, you use the same format, but with “Change Vote” instead of just “Vote.” If you have cast a vote and wish take it back entirely instead of just changing it to someone else, use:

Change Vote: No Vote

If you wish for nobody to be lynched during a Daylight Phase, then you also have the option of casting a vote for “No Death.” The difference you must recognize here is that a No Death vote means you are actively voting for no-one to die, whereas using No Vote means you are not adding anything to the overall tally.

In the scenario where a definitive Majority Vote occurs (eg, 6 of 10 living players all vote the same player), the Daylight Phase will end early and that player will be killed. Once this is locked in, the death is definitive, and any changed votes before the Game Master is able to progress the game will be ignored. You can not back down from such a decision so easily, weaklings.

----Night Actions----

When sending in your night action PM, please use a format similar to voting – for those of you with active abilities, this means using the bolded word from your role description. Some examples:

Investigate: Bonecuss

Kill: Bonecuss

Protect: Bonecuss

This is to help the Game Master keep straight who is doing what without having to memorize everyone’s ability or consult a list (more than is necessary, anyway).

If you have no intent to act during a Twilight Phase, please send a PM saying “No action”. This will speed up the Twlight Phase so the Game Master doesn’t have to wait for everyone’s PM. You do not have to worry about this if you do not have a night phase ability.

----Roleclaims----

At any time you see fit, you may make a claim to which character you are and what your alignment is; this generally done as a manner of defending oneself, though the effectiveness will vary. An example:

You are Bonecuss: Human Aligned Bullied Example

As a Rule, this is the ONLY part of your Role PM you can share within the game board. Quoting other parts will have you Modkilled.

----Winning the Game----

These are the Win Conditions that will cause the Game to end.

For the Human Side - The Human Side must find and Kill every member of the Witch Side through Majority Vote in Daylight Phases. When only Humans remain, all survivors will be crowned as Winners.

For the Witch Side - When the Witch Side is equal to or outnumbers the remaining Humans, the Witches will automatically win.

----Modkills----

A Modkill is when the Game Master has to step in and Kill a Player due to them violating one this game’s four rules:

1. Do not talk about the game outside of the thread with people you aren’t allowed to talk to it about.

2. Do not edit or delete your posts. Just like in real life, once you’ve said something, you’ve said it – no take-backs. If you need to say something else or clarify a certain point, you are allowed to double post. For the purposes specific to Rokkenjima as a forum, please avoid posting images in messages from outside the website; the Discourse forum will auto-edit your post to move the image to Rokkenjima’s own server. This may result in accidental disqualification. If you need to post an image for whatever reason, please use the Upload feature included in the message editor when posting.

3. Do not quote anything from another member or the Game Master’s Private Messages to you in-thread without their permission, with the exception of your character name and alignment.

4. Do not disclose ANY information about the game (your power, the results of your night actions, the identity of your teammate(s), etc.) after your death has been confirmed in a write-up.

Beyond these restrictions, anything goes (all forum rules still apply).

Additionally, you will be Modkilled if you are absent from the proceedings (either in-thread or from night actions) for four consecutive phases. Being active in the proceedings does not include one post every five days simply saying you are busy. If you’re going to be away for a while, say so ahead of time in-thread to avoid receiving a Modkill. Alternatively, you may simply send PM to the Game Master to notify them that you are still paying attention, but aren’t acting/speaking for strategic reasons.

----Further Questions----

If you’ve any questions about game progression in general, ask in-thread so that someone may assist you as soon as possible. Questions specifically about your role or ability works should be PM’d directly to the GM. Suggestions concerning things to be done in future rounds may be PM’d to the GM or posted in-thread, whichever you prefer.

----Example Game----

If you want to see the atmosphere and pace of a Forum Mafia game, I’ve selected an example from my past.

This is a story of another world, where Players and Reapers collide.

I do need to note that there are a few more advanced mechanics present in this game (Night Zero, the 7 Day Rule, and the presence of a Third Faction) that you do not need to concern yourself with, at least with this very first game here on Rokkenjima. However, it is an excellent example of logic and analysis at play, or at least it’s the best I could find. I recommend reading a little bit of it to get a feel for the game.

6 Likes

Welcome to Rokkenjima. Not yours, but mine.

This year has been a busy one for the Ushiromiya family, and members have travelled to Rokkenjima for a short emergency conference. Not everyone will be able to attend, but alas, is that not also part of the Roulette?

Watching over this proceeding is not the Witch you know, but Rabla the Crimson, a legendary sorceror from ages past. His Game is soon to begin, and his representatives hide among the family.

Can you mere Humans find the culprits before you all fall? Only time will tell, but let it be known this is not entirely a Game of fate and chance; if you are smart enough, victory lies within your reach.

This game’s difficulty level is rather low, but don’t take that as a sign to relax, lest you be killed by the Witch Side. An easier Game it may be, but a Game it still is. Participation is key.

Players:
1. Karifean
2. Aspirety
3. DaBackpack
4. RedEspeon
5. Yerian
6. StarTurner
7. Cjlim2007
8. Pepe
9. HeliosAlpha
10. EisenKoubu

The Game So Far:

Winners:
Yerian - Kanon, Witch Aligned Lost Furniture
cjlim2007 - Jessica Ushiromiya, Witch Aligned Family Heiress

Losers:
EisenKoubu - Toshiro Gohda, Human Aligned Honoured Chef
DaBackpack - George Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Perfect Son
Karifean - Kyrie Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Brilliant Mind
RedEspeon - Rudolf Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Natural Joker
HeliosAlpha - Shannon, Human Aligned Affectionate Furniture
Aspirety - Eva Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Scornful Beauty
StarTurner - Battler Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Incompetent Youth
Pepe - Natsuhi Ushiromiya, Human Aligned Devoted Wing

5 Likes

I humbly accept the invitation to this island of magic and trickery.

Hmm? I wonder who are truly the hunted in this game.

I may be inexperienced, but I hope you’ll permit my attendance for this auspicious occasion.

If I may ask two questions:

Are we allowed to lie about our alignment?

And who exactly are we allowed to share information on the game with?

Welcome, @Karifean and @Aspirety. Your names have been etched into the sands of history, though the tale of your result is yet to be filled in.

Of course. You may change the colour and title of your alignment to serve your purposes. You can even create a fake Role and claim it to be yours, if you wish to push it as an advantage to yourself.

However be aware that all lies risk being discovered in time. But maybe you can outplay the true owner? Its up to the majority who to believe, after all.

You can discuss as much as you wish about the Game with any active participant, on the sole condition that all conversation takes place inside this thread. Conversation, speculation, accusation. Anything goes. Claim to be someone, post your ability results, whatever. As long as its all here.

With the exception of Players on the Witch Side, any discussion and strategy between Players outside of this thread is strictly forbidden, and may result in penalty. I’m going to be fair and lenient for the first few Games, as there will be several learners. But keep that in mind.

Of course, I’m not going to penalize you for discussing what the Mafia game is to outsiders, or explain whats going on to people watching and interested. Part of the game’s purpose is obviously to help activity and drum up interest. Just don’t ask for help and speculate with outsiders or whatnot.

I’m attaching this on as an edit, since I had an idea of how to show you quickly and clearly the potential of these games.

This is a game I participated in seven years ago, and is one of our best. From this you should get a decent idea of how to play.

I do need to note that there are a few more advanced mechanics present in this game (Night Zero, the 7 Day Rule, and the presence of a Third Faction) that you do not need to concern yourself with, at least with this very first game here on Rokkenjima. However, it is an excellent example of logic and analysis at play, or at least it’s the best I could find. I recommend reading a little bit of it to get a feel for the game.

I’ll also add this to the first post.

I myself personally don’t play very well in this round, but leave me alone I was like 14. Pay attention to everyone else

I’m in! I’ve played forum mafia with FFR for a few years so I have experience.

Werewolf is one of my favorite party games, and it’s basically mafia, so count me in!

Aren’t they just different names for the same game?

At any rate, this seems like a sheep and wolf game, so the name werewolf seems very fitting :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Basically, you can actually buy werewolf though and it comes with cards and expansions, a lot of fun if you can find it in a game store.

Oh wow, hadn’t heard of Werewolf. A cardgame version of Mafia sounds super fun.

1 Like

I hereby state my intention to participate in your game, Crimson Sorcerer.

1 Like

This should be fun… I’ll give it a shot, why not?

Sure. I’m in

Well then, please allow me to join this game of mafia. Witch or Human, it matters not! All I want is some jolly ol’ psychological games with other players

I’m really bad at mafia as I tend to not say much, but I guess I should try out of obligation.

slits wrist

This blood…is the price of admission I will pay to the Crimson Sorcerer.

lets the blood drop onto the floor

…Please accept me into this game of death and intrigue. :smile:

1 Like

woah eisen you should probably get that checked out.

I’m going to close off Sign-Ups there, since I don’t think there’s been enough initial interest that we’ll get past the 10 person minimum for this first game. Hopefully they’ll grow as we go.

Role PMs are being sent out now. The Game will begin shortly.

1 Like

Alright, now that formalities are finished, and all players have been given their piece on the board, without further ado I will open the scenario.

Dinner was about to be served in the Ushiromiya Mansion, and the guests were settling at the table. It had been a busy day for the few members of the family that had gathered for this rare meeting, so something to be joyful about was an awaited occasion at this point. Fortunately, meals are never a poor show in this household.

The ten people currently inside the house had gathered, and were enjoying the immaculate meal provided by the house chef, who was finishing up his well-prepared speech on his dish; it’s taste had increased in flavour before it even touched anyone’s mouth.

With everyone settled, and the servants of the house all standing at the ready in the room, an odd change of routine broke everyone’s focus when one of the younger of the group brought out a letter he had recieved earlier. He questioned who in the house had left, or lost the note, as it was without an addressee, but none claimed ownership. An older woman, further towards the head of the table, told him to simply read the letter aloud and the question would be answered, so the man adjusted his glasses and opened it, and spoke the following words.

"Greetings, children of the island. I am the Crimson Sorceror, a lost myth of these lands.
Rokkenjima is, as of tonight, under my domain. I have decided to grant power to people who prayed for my blessings. They wish to achieve a dream quite dark, and I’m in the mood for a bloodbath.
However, nothing is as entertaining as a good old game, so I wish to balance the sides. Everyone will be given a chance to survive.

Every day, at the gathering for lunch, you will vote on one person among you that you suspect is a representative of my side, the ones I have gifted with power. I will kill the person you choose.

If you manage to kill my players, you win, and whoever is left can leave the island. However, if you fail long enough, you will lose, and all my players will achieve their goal.

Let’s see which of you are the smartest, and strongest. Good luck."

The people of the house were shocked, and some wished to play it off as a prank by people not able to be here for this event. However, they quickly discovered that every door and window leading to the outside were firmly, almost impossibly, secured and unopenable.

And in the entrance hall, a familiar portrait had been replaced with the number ‘10’ written in blood. Almost as if the local legend was sneering at them, enjoying her guest’s forced crisis.

And so, the game begins.

You have 48 Hours to decide on your votes, with the phase ending at 12:30PM EST, on Wednesday the 11th of August.

With 10 Players remaining, the majority lynch is at 6. If majority is achieved, the vote will be frozen and the player nominated will be killed as soon as the Game Master is available. If majority is not achieved during the Phase, the player with the most votes at the end of the time limit will be killed.

Enjoy your day.

@Karifean @Aspirety @DaBackpack @RedEspeon @Yerian @StarTurner @cjlim2007 @Pepe @HeliosAlpha @EisenKoubu

And just in case, a last quick tl;dr of the rules.

1. Don’t talk about the game (in the context of playing it) outside the thread. All strategy and planning must be here. (Unless you’re the Witch Side, you can also use your private discussion)
  2. Don’t edit posts.
  3. Don’t quote anything except your role from your PM
  4. Don’t reveal any information about the game after you die.
  5. Don’t break any normal forum rules.

Also, a note, due to the other gameboard here. There may be a ‘scenario’ running, and you may have been assigned specific characters, but there is no role-play involved in a Mafia game. Your identity is a precious lifeline, so keep it safe until needed.

Anyway, you may begin!

1 Like

Uh well the example game mentions RNG being a common choice for the first day, so…

Vote: Yerian

Rip rebellion, but something has to happen.

I would never let such trivial alliances such as the Rebellion cloud my vision in the highest matters of life and death.

Clearly Eisen has already displayed that he is loyal to the Crimson Sorcerer, making such a drastic sacrifice of his own blood as his first move.

Vote: EisenKoubu