Ryukishi07 appreciation thread

Pretty much what the title says. Just post everything you love about our extremely cute author, whether it concerns his writing or his personality or whatever.

…And I guess you can post what you dislike about him, but be nice as this is an appreciation thread.

1 Like

Ryukishi is awesome, and definitely my favorite author of all time. His biggest skills without a doubt in my mind is writing human characters, which can be seen in all of his works.

He somehow manages to exemplify his messages with his own person - without love it cannot be seen. So many people despise the guy for being “haughty” or “disrespectful” or looking down on them, it’s kind of a tragedy.

3 Likes

I think the thing I appreciate the most about Ryukishi is that he writes more like he’s writing an actual novel instead of a scenario or a story inspired by anime.

Its a bit hard to explain, but I feel like instead of writing for the entertainment/otaku factor, he writes for a message, and a lot of his stories read like actual novels ad his characters feel incredibly organic and don’t devolve into wacky anime hijinks.

tldr, Ryukishi writes very organic stories/characters despite the premise being weird and his novels feel like actual books you could pick up in a bookstore, and not in a place that’s designed for otaku. Like, I can call Pandora Hearts weebshit, but I can’t call 07thexapnsion novels weebshit. There’s some sort of quality I associate with high quality novels that I can attach to Ryukishi’s writing.

7 Likes

There are many things I appreciate about Ryukishi but the biggest thing is probably his characters. Not only how human they are but also how much you come to care about them even in such a short time. For example, how many other writers can in just a few hours make you care about doomed characters to such a degree that you actually feel sad (either for them or their family members) when they die (like he does in Ep 1 of Umineko).

It’s also really apparent that he also cares about people in need, from such things as abuse, suicide, depression and other things I don’t think many writers, western or Japanese, dare to touch upon.
But because he’s mostly known as a horror-writer I think that most people completely miss the humanity that exists in his works. Which is kinda sad as he often manages to write some of the best characters I’ve ever met upon anywhere.

4 Likes

I wanted to revive this thread because I think it’s a really interesting thing to discuss.

My favorite thing about Ryukishi’s writing is his ability to take themes he’s previously established and reanalyze them from a different lense under a different context. For example, in Higurashi, Teppei is painted as an abusive character who doesn’t really get any sort of human characteristics attached to him whatsoever. Therefore, we (and by extension of us readers, the characters in Higurashi) are able to hate him because there is absolutely nothing justifying his behavior.

This changes when we meet Rosa in Umineko who is also an abusive character, but we can see why she chooses to abuse her daughter. By no means are her actions justifiable either, but she’s painted in a much more human manner than Teppei is. We can see what contexts drove her into her abusive behavior, as well as how she’s able to justify her own behavior. We never see this in Teppei, and it makes him a weaker character/uninteresting because of that.

I truly think his writing has improved over time, and that can be seen reading the various things he’s written. I’m excited about the topics he will take on in the next WTC, and I really hope he continues to challenge the morals/themes that he’s established in previous works.

8 Likes

I very much enjoy, as others have said, how human he manages to make his characters. I cannot tell you how much I’ve cried reading Umineko, even though this is my second time reading through it. I’ve never read anything before in which has made me emotional on a consistent level, especially in regards to the relationships between the characters as well as their personal lives. I really envy his ability to write even fantastical scenes, yet give them deep meaning and a basis for human emotions. Even the most fantastic magic battles can still hit my heart deeply. Even Kinzo, with all that he’s done, I still find myself crying tears of happiness when something works out. I can’t name a single character I dislike, honestly…

I came into this fandom in 2015. I was happy to be able to read Umineko without waiting for Episode releases, but I definitely was a bit disappointed for that same reason, too. I’m excited for the next WTC, and I’m happy I’ll be around during its initial stages of release (assuming it will be released in Episodes).

9 Likes

A genius who understands what a human truly is.

Happy birthday. :cackle:

6 Likes

Something I like about Ryukishi as well is just how… pleasant of a person he seems to be. Every con report I’ve ever seen with him attending describes how passionate and charismatic he is, and it’s so great to see how appreciative he is of Witch Hunt’s efforts, both back when they were just fantranslating Umineko as it came out as well as now, when they worked on bringing the Steam release to fruition.

Just seems like such an awesome guy, ehehe.

8 Likes

Remembering how much he laughed and smiled at the con I went to still makes me happy.

Happy Birthday you great man. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Found his works only last year but just Higurashi and Umineko were enough to make me love all of his works. I will hopefully be starting to read Higabana soon to expand on his works.

Truly my favorite author I have ever read stuff from.

Happy Birthday you beautiful man.

6 Likes

Happy Birthday for this sweetheart of a creator.

Some of his stories inspired me to be what I am today (Umineko in particular changed me for the best during a time I was at my worst). I hope he has many great things coming to him in the near future.

All of my friends who met him told me he is an absolutely nice person, and I would gladly like to meet him whenever I have the opportunity to do so.

6 Likes