[Spoilers] Non-canon Umineko Theories

Feel free to discuss the entirety of Umineko without [spoiler] tags, but please tag references to outside works, providing adequate context in parenthesis. This topic will contain massive spoilers, so if you have not finished reading Umineko yourself proceed with caution.

With Umineko, there are quite a number of fan theories that don’t line up with what is generally accepted as the ‘real truth’. Some are short and fun (see above), others extensive alternate explanations for the happenings of the story. Probably the most well-known of those being the Rosatrice theory that attempts to explain Umineko while pinning only Rosa, George and Nanjo as the ones responsible for the crimes. Whether or not you think it’s BS, it has quite a considerable following.

So what do you guys think about alternate / unconfirmed theories you’ve come across? Are there any you actually believe in?

2 Likes

I’m a firm believer that with enough time, creativity, and willingness to ignore the heart of the story, one could construct a theory that works for every red for all of the humans on Rokkenjima (aside from Erika/Battler as they are confirmed not culprits in some episodes).

I don’t mind alternate theories, after all that’s the whole point of the catbox. What I do mind is when people throw out 9/10 of the story as “red herrings” and focus only on the red. All of the fantasy elements in Umineko are hints. I firmly believe any legitimate (non-joke) theory should fit not just the red, but the fantasy, and the themes. I have yet to see a theory outside of the “accepted answer” that manages to do that.

4 Likes

Would this also be the place for theories about what was not really answered canonically, as a lot of things remains in very grey zones even within the canon?

1 Like

Well for that you might want to put them in the character/episode discussion topics they’d belong in instead.

Well then, not exactly a theory but I remember a common meme was the idea that Beatrice was actually the name of Kinzo’s submarine, and all the times he cries over her are references to it.

Ooooh Beeaaattooorrriiiccchheeeee!!!

2 Likes

For the record, Gohda Accident Theory was me. 4chan reposts it in basically every Umineko thread though.

16 Likes

10/10 work. Probably the best joke theory I have seen.

My favorite crack theory is the Sakutaro Culprit Theory in that he mauled everybody to death. The sole explanation for it is that Sakutaro’s theme uses bits of Happiness of Marionette. It makes so little sense and I love it.

Another crack theory as to why the anime did a poor job in adapting it is that Beato was behind it. She tried to make it easier but chickened out and took out important bits, and then threw a bunch of fanservice in to distract Battler.

One serious theory I liked was the Asumu Culprit Theory, as up until EP8’s manga, we didn’t have a canon design for Asumu. There was some name and word play that she was Tohya Hachijo (since Ange wasn’t alive yet when Asumu supposedly died), and her name when broken down added up to 18. But the theory was that she got shoved off a cliff and survived, but she saw Rudolf sleeping with Kyrie when she came back, so she recruited Sayo to aid with her plan, and the only regret she had about it was that Battler was there the day she enacted her plan, because well, no matter what, he was her son to her.

2 Likes

Oh man this makes me remember all the crack theories I read back in the day.

My overall favorite theory was that Genji was Beatrice. Just that image of Kinzo falling in love with Genji dressed up as Beatrice just makes me laugh. How would he not recognize him?

For a more serious one, gotta go with Rosatrice. I never quite understood how anyone could believe Rosa was the culprit for any of the incidents (except for possibly the first part of chapter 3).

1 Like

It was fun to read. It also makes me wonder if that story was influenced by being slightly “older?” Perhaps it has to do with the army and knife-trick accidents?

As far as I know it, the entire Rosatrice theory arose originally due to the artwork of a manga cover which showed visual similarities between Rosa and Beato, which is really not much to base a theory on…

To give credit where credit is due though, the Rosatrice theory is ridiculously well constructed.

2 Likes

Gohda was hired to create a lot of tomato sauce.
No one ever saw any murders properly because they all have bad eyesight and refuses to wear glasses. The Ushiromiya family is known to be stubborn.

All death are actually faked and done with a creative use of tomato sauce. The seven stakes are actually creative meatballs.
The red truth is only tomato sauce tainted.
No one ever recognized that Kanon = Shannon = Beatrice because they have bad eyesight.
George is the only one who has good eyesight, but it’s a family thing to be blind as a bat so they forced glasses on him to equalize things.
Blind as a bat = This is why this is a sound novel
The fantasy scenes exist because Gohda also needing glasses messed up his recipes and caused food poisoning in people.

“Love” is a codeword for glasses. Without glasses it can’t be seen.

I apparently can’t find the comic again, but I remember reading a comic that was basically everyone solving the epitaph (much like in arc 7TP) and deciding to all go to Hawaii but Eva insisted that she was the one who solved it and was now the heir so taking their shares they left her behind with the gold and headship and told her to take care of Ange while everyone was on a cruise boat heading to Hawaii.
It featured Bernkastel at the end telling Ange that she never knew giving people a miracle could be so much fun with Ange telling her to shut up.

8 Likes

This isn’t anything reasonable, just a thought I had right at the beginning of ch.5:

Since Beato had become completely unresponsive and when Battler helped her drink the tea, I speculated that years ago he had caused an accident where Beato had become severely impaired. I thought the shackle on her ankle represented her disability to walk and the fantasy world was her way of expressing her dreams through imagination since she couldn’t talk. The servants and everyone else had participated in this dream of hers and constructed the murder mystery trying to bring her enjoyment and Battler was the only one refusing to play his role because he didn’t understand/remember the accident that had been partly his fault. I don’t think Asumu’s cause of death had been revealed at this point so I thought she might’ve died in this accident as well and that would’ve contributed to Battler’s ignorance/memory loss/trauma. This accident would’ve also been the cause for his fear of vehicles.

This theory made me so depressed I had to stop reading for a while. Maybe it’s funny that I resumed after thinking that it’d be priceless if this turned out to be true, but also part of Beato’s trolling plan. Back then I still wanted the two of them to continue their game endlessly while loving, hating and tearing each other to pieces.

2 Likes

It’s this one! Good End 2

1 Like

Okay a stupider theory, but one that is hard to deny
After all the Ushiromiya family is one that faked people being dead to mess up with a girl who nearly drowned mere hours ago even tho she’s a bitch (Erika in arc6).
This is factual.
What kind of family is the Ushiromiya family?

So my theory now is that everyone put “roles” (such as, victim of the first twilight, or milf who gets to wave a gun around while screaming at people) on pieces of paper in a box and had everyone picking up a role.
Then they enacted a very elaborate fake murder scheme.
The reason why the story cuts off at midnight after october 5 is because after that Battler figures it out. “What the hell is wrong with you people”.
He decides his crazy family needs to be obliterated for the good of everyone else.
He sets up the bomb, tries to run away using the backdoor (Kuwadorian). Eva tried to follow him but he escaped first.
BOOOM
The seagulls became fried. UminekoTempura.
A family of crazy people who’d fake death to mess up with girls who nearly drowned hours ago was removed from being a danger to everyone else.
Happy ending.

Also I forgot to add this, but Yasu is completely innocent. Even the Shkanontrice playing multiple roles at once thing was forced on her by others. That’s why Battler tried to save her alone (from his crazy family) but she still felt guilty about participating even if against her own will.

6 Likes

Krauss, at one point, mentioned having invested in a resort complex that utterly failed.

That resort was actually Jurassic Park. Velociraptors snuck onto Krauss’ boat and started breeding on Rokkenjima. Since it’s fact that velociraptors are clever girls, all the locked room murders were actually done by velociraptors, who can unlock locked doors. The end.

4 Likes

I present to you: The Fall theory… I guess this joke theory still contains references up to EP8: Remember Battler screaming that he’ll fall during the plane and boat ride? In Rokkenjima Prime he did fall off Kawabata’s modded boat. In response Yasu said “fuck it” and flipped the switch. Ange couldn’t believe how stupid this is and prompty offed herself after reading that. Without love, you cannot see the passion for fast boats.

2 Likes

Wow, I’ve known and laughed thanks to the Gohda copypasta for years and never knew you were the author. I’m amazed because your joke video about the logic error is also one of the most hilarious things I’ve ever read about Umineko. Thanks for the awesome theories.

2 Likes

Well I do appreciate and believe in the true theory, but, just for fun, I wanted to think up of some other theory that I could call my own, but I haven’t really rechecked the red truths so see if it’s possible, but oh well!

My theory was that, while Sayo (possibly only Shannon) is still the main culprit, most of the murders were committed by other people for their own benefit or for some other emotional reason. Like, Shannon’s motivation just caused a chain reaction of events and thought processes for the rest of the family members, and at some point or another, every family member had the chance to commit the murders (Except for Battler of course). Like for example in the first game, assuming that Shannon and Kanon were different people, Eva and Hideyoshi killed the people for the first twilight, maybe to just kill off the competition for the money and to kill off Shannon, because they didn’t want George to be with her, assuming that they knew about it, and then Kanon killed them in the second twilight because he felt angry towards the pair because they killed Shannon, and etc etc. Of course in some parts this may sound similar to the truth, but y’know, was a little thing I thought of inspired by one of Agatha Christie’s books.
And again, I haven’t checked any of the red truths on this matter, so it probably would have tons of flaws.

1 Like