Toaru Majutsu no Index / Kagaku no Railgun Series Discussion

It’s come to my attention that we have a number of Index fans here on Rokkenjima, and we need some more off-topic, topics, so why not start here? Let’s chat about Raildex!

Use your own discretion to tag story spoilers. Anyone reading should be warned that we will be talking about the Light Novel here, so tread carefully!

2 Likes

As I’ve read on, the Index series of Light Novels has developed from a guilty pleasure into a proud obsession. I’m well aware that the series is full of issues, but it’s such a long series that you can really see the development of Kamachi as a writer with each successive volume, his journey through mediocrity to some really clever writing by the end. It seems like he gets increasingly meta with each volume, providing readers with new perspectives on tired tropes that we’ve taken for granted.

It’s such a pity, then, that the anime series stopped right as it was about to get good. Yeah, there’s a lot of shit to wade through to get there, but God’s Right Seat onwards is where Kamachi really starts coming into his own as a writer, and when I can finally start saying that yeah, this is good shit.

Season 3 when T_T

1 Like

Toaru is a frustrating dance to me because of how good and of how bad it is at the same time. So often I thought I was about to drop it and lost interest but then a book comes out that revitalize my passion for it.

After 39 novels, I can’t see myself stopping before it ends.
Fully agreeing with the GRS comment, tho I wouldn’t dismiss everything that came before as bad, I feel like much of what needed to be told in those parts could’ve been done in about half the amount of novels it did.

I may not be in the majority there, but personally I’ve been finding in general NT to be much better then the original series, due to how it basically destroys every trope the series itself had established until that point. Violently. A certain girl’s appearance also lead to it from a formula akin to romantic comedies where nothing ever really change no matter how much you’d think it would to much more permanent evolution then I originally thought would ever happen.

I believe the main reason why toaru season 3 never saw the day back then was actually because of TV slots which would’ve resulted in JC Staff competing with their own selves (Shakugan no Shanna season 3 taking it’s place originally) and then it sorta just fell into the background and never really resurrected even tho a large amount of fans have been raging over it ever since then.

Considering Railgun’s popularity I’ll be hoping for a revival.

Volume 16 preview is out~

1 Like

Oh man I really should hop on board to reading more of this series. I’ve only read volume 1 of the Light Novel and watched all of the anime for both Index and Railgun. I really did like Index and will forever wait for a season 3… @3@

The Index OPs were super great <3 PSI-Missing used to get stuck in my head a lot back in the day.

1 Like

My suggestion that not everyone will agree with is: watch the anime’s two seasons then read the light novels continuing on from that. The anime gets all the shitty arcs out of the way, everything beyond is fantastic.

2 Likes

Ooh is that so? I’ll keep that in mind. Which volume does the anime stop at then?

The last two arcs of the Anime are 13 and SS1 (Side Story 1). 14 is where Season 3 would theoretically begin.

1 Like

So I wrote a thing. Hopefully this can serve as a useful guide to anyone interested in the series!

1 Like

I watched both series, reading light novel of index and manga of railgun and accelerator. I prefer railgun anime over the lot, the science side seems always more interesting then religious/magical sides. I have the psp fighting game and have translated railgun psp on my youtube. There a new index X mechy game, though not interested in it.

How much of the light novel have you read?

English 10, been pacing myself in wait for season 3. I know a little about whats ahead I may have peeked some :winking:

I think that most people will agree that Index ‘gets good’ from Volume 12 onwards. Once you’re over Volume 11, you’ve got the less impressive volumes done with, and it’s a long uphill ride from there~

Wrote up this post on my speculations for what the newly leaked Season 3 will contain!

1 Like

Have they actually confirmed this now? I was still under the impression that we did not know for sure that it’s actually happening

All but confimed. We’re like 95% sure it’s happening.

Well, I am usually pretty skeptical about this sort of thing until I get absolute confirmation so I will contan my hype until we get an official announcement. I will hope for the best though

YEAH I’m so excited! \o/

Guess I should pick up the on where I left off in the LN soon… YEN PRESS TAKE MY MONEY!!

ANN also covered this soo it’s hyped

Which LN are you up to?