TRianThology - Country Gal Manga

Discussion topic for the Country Gal Manga adaptation, based off the story from TRianThology. Feel free to discuss events up to Chapter 5 freely, but tag later events and references to other stories with the [spoiler] tag, providing adequate context in parenthesis.

1 Like

So I just finished reading Chapter 2… Already quite interesting. It reminds me a lot of Anohana, but I feel like this story is going to have a more creepy or depressing angle to it. I dunno if we’re going down murder mystery territory, but there is already plenty of character mystery going on. Best friends in their youth, one of them ends up in an accident and remains comatose for several years, before returning to see her friends are unrecognisable. Great setup!

Wonder where it’s all headed. I’m very curious.

So far, it seems to be totally grounded IRL… Which is confusing, considering the story’s supposed to cross over with a sci-Fi war story and a world of fragment hopping witches. Maybe the crossover part is exclusive to the Visual Novel?

Probably. The idea is that they are three totally distinct worlds, but there is one character that is hopping between them. If there is something connecting them, I believe figuring that out is probably one of the central mysteries of TRianThology.

So, I just caught up to chapter 4. It’s interesting to see how the story arc seems to be going in a bit of an atypical structure. We have one chapter of happy times and then suddenly, it’s all disappeared before we ever realised it. The situation seems almost hopeless, but we continue clinging to rays of hope, until the situation starts becoming more and more hopeful. Instead of a climax toward the end or middle of the story, the climax is at the start, and the rest of the story up to this point involves crawling our way up from rock bottom. Though, that’s so far, there may be many unexpected twists in the future to shake things up.

I really, really dig this writing. The themes do remind me of Anohana, but with our protagonist having missed several years of her life, it feels a lot more full of despair and darkness. And yet, it’s all so relatable. Every child has to grow up and face reality someday, and that often comes with the sacrifice of many hopes and dreams we once held on to, along with those carefree days. But usually, we’re gradually eased into that. Imagine waking up one day as a child and feeling that crushing weight of reality suddenly forced upon you, where you’re forced to grow up in a single night. I’m sure she would’ve committed suicide if she didn’t find anything to hold onto.

This is really, really good character drama. Not really much of a mystery story, but an amazing psychological drama. You guys need to read this. I can’t wait for more chapters now!

2 Likes