Umineko Episode 5 Full Series Spoilers General

I think that what DWaM said is correct. To be entirely honest, I don’t understand what you’re attempting to say, Bael. Everybody is alive in Erika’s introduction, so nobody can masquerade as one of them. And even if they did, would Erika really be fooled by something like that?

Erika is introduced accusing Natushi as the culprit after the first twilight, unless you didn’t read the VN.

She’s fooled only if the same person was always pretending to be either Shannon or Kanon from the first time they met and hence her detective skills would not see that the person was replaced.

Confusing the reader explanation doesn’t work as Erika is a piece on the board, hence when she sees that Everyone is in the Parlour, Everyone is there.

I’m talking about her formal introduction. I’ve been talking about her formal introduction the whole time.

Having George, Rudolf, Krauss, Battler, etc. pretend to be Kanon wouldn’t work at all. It works with Yasu because she’s been doing that for a while and looks completely different when she’s either Shannon or Kanon. Anyone else who tried it wouldn’t be near as convincing because A. they haven’t been doing it for as long, and B. they wouldn’t look anything like Kanon normally looks.

And hence a first time guest like Erika who meets everyone on the island for the first time has no idea what Shannon or Kanon looks like or acts like normally

You’ll have to quote the specific scene because her first appearance is the parlor scene, where everyone on the island is gathered.

But SOMEONE in the room would say something about it, since a majority of the people there aren’t in on it.

I am not counting her accusation of Natsuhi as her formal introduction. Her formal introduction is when she first arrives on the island and meets everyone. I told someone else higher up where specifically this was.

You’d need to explain how the solution without that being the case then

Oh right, I forgot that almost everyone was in on Episode 5 too. I thought it was just Episode 6. My bad there. But either way, Krauss and Natsuhi weren’t in on it, so one of them would comment.

Proof? or else how do you explain how everyone is in the room before Erika?

Just look it up. There’s plenty of resources out there. And I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to say in your second sentence.

In the parlour scene how can everyone including Shannon and Kanon be there while Erika is watching?

That’s what I’m asking. How can Kanon and Shannon be in the same room as Erika in her introduction (NOT the scene where she accuses Natsuhi, the scene where she introduces herself), and have Erika not know the true number of people.

The explanation for that scene you accepted from @DWaM of which I have no objections and further supplement a game quote:

Piece Battler Narration: “I” glanced around the humans at the parlour.

The accusation scene is the only scene where both Kanon and Shannon are present and Erika acknowledges that everyone is there. Thats the one that any solution to EP5 has to explain.

I’m pretty sure the manga implies Erika was so focused on cornering Natsuhi that the Shkanon trick totally slipped her mind. Erika herself admits she was careless. It’s not out of realm of possibility that Erika didn’t even notice that Kanon or Shannon were missing from the room (I’m referring to Natsuhi accusation scene). Erika is the detective, yes, but she’s also human so it’s very possible Erika just didn’t notice because she was too busy focusing on various ways on how to make Natsuhi suffer.

Unless you can point out a scene where Erika spoke separately to both Shannon and Kanon, and acknowledged their presence while in the same room, you shouldn’t call it a plot hole or anything similar.

Interesting discussion, but… isn’t it just the narration that acknowledges everyone is there, though? That’s what I seem to remember from that accusation scene.

2 Likes

I checked the scene, and Erika says something like ‘now that everyone is here’. But that doesn’t really mean anything since:

a) Erika is imperfect and in episode 5 she is too busy focusing on Natsuhi,
b) Her words aren’t in red which makes it possible she just missed the fact that someone was missing.

Yeah, it’s kinda flimsy. Plus I believe Hideyoshi’s corpse was taken to the parlor prior to that scene and if we assume that he was faking his death all along and Erika still doesn’t notice once he is in the same room for a great period of time, it’s proof that she can definitely miss something. But I’m unsure about that detail, correct me if I’m wrong.

Yeah, I can believe her not noticing due to her focus on Natsuhi.

That explanation also makes sense because of the scene with Kinzo when Erika and Battler found the gold. Battler saw Kinzo in the first, but Erika never acknowledged him.