When They Cry 5 Pre-Release Discussion & Speculation

What’s there to doubt? It’s important to be aware that Japanese studios love making announcements on April Fools.

What about it being When the witches cry?

And the Feathers could be a reference to Featherine or RGD

And, as mysteriously as the update appeared, it’s gone…

Please tell me we did not just fall for an elaborate joke?

I mean, the only part that could have possibly been “fake” there were the feathers and the background.
Doesn’t really seem worth it, but I guess we technically shouldn’t put it past Ryukishi.
He knows we jump at and overanalyze that shit.

2 Likes

Right, and Trianthology was announced on April Fools’ too.

Wonder why it’s gone then?

Could it be possible that the update was supposed to happen later but due to whatever reason, perhaps an error in communication, someone updated the page early?

1 Like

There’s no way it was an error. Most likely an attempt to throw us into confusion.

At the very least, Ryukishi DID talk about these things at 07th Expansion Party, that is a fact.

1 Like

Oh fuuuuuuuck. I need that.

Think it might be “When The Owls Cry”- fits in with the Dubai skyline and the white feathers, in my opinion. Also, they have a distinctive sound-hooting- just like cicadas and seagulls.

But I really like the angel interpretation- Tenshi no Naku Koro Ni sounds amazing.

3 Likes

Is the Japanese word for owls also 4 syllables long?

Not really, the collected word for owls is フクロウ (Fukurou) written in katakana and not hiragana like the animals in the earlier titles.

Plus owls are seen as bit as a lucky charm in Japan which I feel don’t really fit with the Higurashi cicadas or the Umineko gulls.

One other possibility that might fit the city theme in the next game might be pigeons. While the kanji doesn’t really fit the theme (鳩 hato) there might be a specific type of pigeon that does. I’m trying to look for one right now

1 Like

…I see no flowers.

It’s hilarious though how the pic is just inverted colors. And has a badly photoshopped feather.

6 Likes

I was getting worried, with Trianthology, that 07th Expansion’s production values were just getting way too high! I’m relieved that the classic amateur vibe is still so prevalent

5 Likes

I wonder if the backgrounds will be animated like Trianthology’s, or if they’ll want it to be more consistent with Higurashi and Umineko’s static backgrounds.

Well, I guess the rain in Umineko was animated.

1 Like

I vote yes to static backgrounds. I like Umineko’s PS3 backgrounds but I certainly wouldn’t mind bringing back the static backgrounds.

I think that animated backgrounds aren’t bad, so long as they stick to the filtered photograph aesthetic. Part of what made me fall in love with 07th Expansion’s works were their incredibly vivid and realized settings. I think Ryukishi really understood the importance of atmosphere to a VN.

5 Likes

I really didn’t mind the blurry photo aesthetic (actually loved it!) but it needs to be 16:9 this time around and have voice acting (sprites might end up being so-bad-it’s-good again so no comment on that front).

1 Like

The tall skyscrapers make me think of big businesses. Maybe something to do with the people at the top of large corporations covering up murder? Murdering each other? It’s like to have murder, whatever scenario it’s in.

That’d certainly be different from the usual WTC, and having big companies surely opens up the possibility of an open world.

And for the feathers, who knows? M̶a̶y̶b̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶U̶S̶A̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶’̶s̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶e̶a̶g̶l̶e̶s̶ ̶c̶r̶y̶.

Whatever it is, I’m really looking forward to seeing what it’s about! Particularly because I got into Umineko and Higurashi way too late to be able to speculate as we go along!

5 Likes

Part murder mystery, part financial thriller? I’m in!

2 Likes

I don’t think it’ll have voice acting. 07th Expansion is still a doujin group, and of their more expensive endeavors like Rose Guns Days and Trianthology didn’t have voice acting, I can’t see WTC5 having voice acting either. I think Trianthology was widescreen, though, so that at least is likely.

Ahh, Alchemist and Kaga Create don’t exist anymore either, so who knows if this will have a console release? I know Sui was bought by another company and they’re distributing it, so… maybe?

2 Likes