When They Cry moments that have made YOU cry?

There was a close one, and one that actually did it for me, both of which are very late in the series.

The close one was at the end of Ep 7. After the tea party, when Battler finally shows up to console the crying Ange. It chokes me up.

But the one that actually got me, and messed me up inside, was during Ep 8. And it’s probably not a scene that you would expect to bring someone to tears. The goat battle, in itself, isn’t an emotional scene in that way, of course, but during the fight on first read it was pretty clear to me that the goats were voicing a lot of the fan and online reactions to various characters and developments in Umineko. And of course, the goats, the ‘audience inserts’ that are saying things that we the readers probably have at some point, are written as stupid, destructive, horrible people destroying the ground they stand on. And I started thinking, is this reallly how Ryukishi sees his audience? Has the fanbase broken him? Does he actually hate us now? Yeah, that one got me crying. I don’t really interpret that scene that way anymore, but when it first came in, it got me good.

3 Likes

He didn’t tho. No one saw Shannon’s corpse

Well, I didn’t pick up on that on my read.

by read, I mean my initial read. i figured out the whole shannon corpse thing as soon as i reread ep 1. but on my first read, i didnt know, hence why i found it kinda sad.

Remember this is a spoiler-free topic, guys. Tag spoilers, and especially also provide explict context for what you are spoiling.

1 Like

Even on my reread, (Umineko Episode 4 spoilers) Ange’s final moments on Rokkenjima got to me again. Real Ange, not Meta Ange.

3 Likes

Altrought Higurashi and Umineko had a lot of moments that could’ve made me cry, none really made me burst into tears. But actually, when I arrived at the end of both games, I felt really sad and empty inside, slowly realising that it was over. It was especially strong with Umineko, I ended up saying something like “I think i’ll never live something that strong again in a fiction” on a french forum. Might have cried a little iirc.
And i definitly cried of anxiety and fear when I was reading Rose Guns Days’s third and last seasons.

2 Likes

Man, I cried a LOT of times in this incredible series.

There are the obvious ones like Umineko magic ending, Minagoroshi-hen’s final part, Rena’s confession, some sad scenes of Watanagashi/Meakashi…Full series spoiler for both WTC

But I think the two moments that I remember the most because I didn’t think at first that they were going to have such an impact on me are when Shion finds Satoshi in the secret underground of the clinic and Irie promises to do his best to bring him back and then shows her the teddy bear: that one just had me stopped reading for several minutes, it was so bittersweet and the fact that it followed an hilarious scene (MAID IN HEAVEN) created a great contrast.(Higurashi EP8) and the other one is when Battler discovers the truth but it is too late and Beato has already vanished. In retrospective what surprises me is that it had such an impact on me even before I knew the truth that I only understood later in EP6. This is one of my favorite scenes ever.(Umineko EP5).

Definitely Umineko’s EP8, I literally cry almost every time I watch the boat scene. It hits me so hard, and the music and everything. In the original novel it’s also “different” than the rest, like, the picture scrolling down make the whole scene “beyond your control”.

Also EP8 The very end, and in the manga version too, because every time I “finish” Umineko I get all emotional.

I remember crying more in the rest of the episodes, but I can’t recall which tbh, pretty sure I did in EP5 when Battler discovers it’s too late in the ???
part
, in EP4 when Ange dies to save Battler and when Discode hits in, and in EP7 when End of the World plays because holy hell this track makes me so emotional.

2 Likes

EP5. When Battler got an anger boost and went Super Sa- Endless Sorcerer against Erika for Beato. ;w;

1 Like

This is going to be the cheesiest response in this thread, but I teared up the second Umineko Chiru went up for purchase on Steam. The first thing I did after downloading it was go to EP7 to check Lion’s artwork. It’s so beautiful I cried over that, too. I’m a crybaby when it comes to Umineko honestly.

5 Likes

The ending of Episode 2. Rosa versus the goats was equal part fucking badass and heartrending. For me it was the first time a “bad ending” felt so awesome.

Episode 5, Battler and Beatrice’s losing battle. Especially when Beatrice completely lost it, begging Battler to just accept their end right then and there. It puts into perspective how completely draining the previous four episodes have been for both of them.

The moment I understood Eva implicitly accepted all the blame to spare the niece who will forever despise her. She guarded the cat box for a decade and took it to the grave, despite the fact that it was driving her mad. Her sheer resilience is a testament to her strength, making her, in my opinion, truly worthy of the headship. And the result was that she got to die unmourned and thankless.

Various points in the manga version of Episode 8, mainly Confession of the Golden Witch, Ange returning to the Golden Land after discovering the one truth and the magic ending. All the new content just improved the character arcs of the two central heroines so much, and the addition to the magic ending just makes the story feel much more complete for me.

4 Likes

Oh yes, the (ep8 spoiler) magic ending is perfection to me. I don’t like the other so much.

For Higurashi - The manga ending of Meakashi-hen absolutely tore me apart, as did the end of Matsuribayashi-hen, when Rika tears off the calendar page to read “July 1st”. I’m sure there were other parts that moved me here and there, but those are the big ones that come to mind immediately.

For Umineko… Hoo boy, where to start? Kanon’s death in Ep1 and what it really means, lots of Ep2, especially the ending part with Rosa and Maria, just about everything in Ep3, 4, and 5, Battler’s grief in Ep6 (still kinda fuzzy on a lot of this episode tbh so more will probably come to mind as I’m reading it right now), Yasu’s tale in Ep7 and her asking that final question to Willard (“Who am I?”), Ange falling asleep in Ep8, the magic ending, the boat… Auuuugh. I think the crowning episode for me, though, is Ep4. All of the last two chapters of and the Tea Party. Ange reviving Sakutarou for Maria and gambling on Yasu’s love for her, the way Ange sacrifices herself while forcing Battler’s aims away from Beato’s, the way Beato keeps forcing the witch persona back on to keep Battler going, “Who am I?”… The biggest one though has to be Yasu’s screaming in red at the end of the episode proper. I get kinda choked up just thinking about that part, and what it says about her state of mind.

When They Cry? More like When I Cry.

5 Likes