When They Cry - Original vs Updated Sprites

So this just came up. Do you stand by Ryukishi07’s original bubbly-handed yet oddly expressive sprites, or do you prefer the graphical updates that came later to make them look more clean?

For Higurashi:

• Original Sprites
  • Console Version Sprites
  • Steam Version Sprites

0 voters

For Umineko:

• Original Sprites
  • PS3 Version Sprites

0 voters

I personally love the original sprites. Especially for Umineko. Say what you will about Ryukishi’s way of drawing bodies, he’s damn skilled at drawing expressive faces. And as someone who’s read both Higurashi and Umineko with the original sprites first, they feel more natural to me. There are quite a few characters where I prefer the original graphics; although there are also others where I prefer the updated art. But overall, original sprites for me.

How about you?

5 Likes

I like the PS3 sprites better. A lot better. Especially with Higurashi where the original sprites proportions can be maddening at time. In general I get a lot of joy from pretty sprites and CGs so the cleaned up ones just appeal to that part of me more.

It is not much of a factor in me buying this though - story before aesthetics; Battler’s awesomness does not need to be expressed on screen to be felt. I really wish that Mangagamer had been able to get the console sprite, but licensing is bitch so I just want to support official English releases.

I already own Higurashi on PS2, I do kind of want to go back and pick up the PS3 version of Umineko.

2 Likes

Having played through Umineko with both the old and updated graphics, I can happily say I had no trouble getting used to Ryukishi’s art in my first playthrough. And I can definitely see accept the argument that Ryukishi’s art is very expressive.

Nonetheless, I can’t say no to the updated visuals. They just look so much better. Maybe some of the characters have been made to look more attractive than they’re meant to, but I don’t really mind much. It’s easier on the eyes, especially for people new to the series. I mean, people are quick to judge something based on its art, and one quick look at Ryukishi’s sprites is enough to turn many people away from the series. I’ll probably end up preferring the PS3 art to the new licensed art, but I’ll be happy to support it. I’d worry for the game’s sales if they released it with the original art only.

Between the original and the updated I don’t mind either… But between the updated art styles I do prefer the Steam sprites over the console sprites for Higurashi. To cite one thing specifically, to me the eyes were done really well in the Steam version rather than the console version. Also, on my first play through I went with the updated sprites for Higurashi. It just seemed “low friction” in comparison…

As an aside, the original BGs (of Higurashi anyway) look way better to me than the console BGs. So if we’re talking “graphics overall” then I’m a bit more on the fence… They just add a great contrast with the cutesy sprites to help ground you back into the darkness of the story.

I will also agree with Aspirety that I would be worried about how well the games sell if they were to stick with only the original art. Including both styles is definitely a plus for fans though.

3 Likes

I prefer the hand drawn backgrounds overall, but the original backgrounds set a really good tone of gritty mystery and I can appreciate that.

I quite like the updated sprites, though I think Alchemist’s art is a little… hit or miss. That one CG of Maria in Episode 1 is definitely better, and Kinzo is even more extravagant. Beatrice’s grins are amazing.

Then you get things like… everything about Kanon’s art. He has the exact same pose in every one of his sprites, and it makes my arm hurt just by looking at him. This silly pose combined with his needlessly over-the-top expressions makes even serious scenes with him extremely hard to take seriously…

I’m also a little surprised nobody has mentioned the… interesting perspectives it has going on, such as the two foot tall Shannon standing at a 45 degree angle on a wall, because the foreground and background kinda just do their own things, and any compatibility between them is purely coincidental.

8 Likes

wow…I guess I had not seen enough of the sprites in game to see some of that - I was mostly following it before release so I was going off of what was shown in magazines. That perspective and everything about Kanon is distractingly bad.

Doesn’t the original graphics do this as well though?

I’ve actually only seen screenshots of the original sprites before, so I couldn’t say… I noticed the foreground/background discrepancy a lot less in Higurashi, but it could be simply because the filtered photos being in a completely different style makes them feel separated, rather than poorly coordinated.

Like @karifean, I prefer Ryukishi07’s original sprites. Sure, the body proportions are kinda weird, but the facial expressions really bring out emotion in the characters. I do like the Alchemist sprites for Umineko on PS3 however, they are very high quality and the CGs are a nice touch. Not a big fan of the new MangaGamer sprites for the higurashi re-release, but I know a lot of people prefer them and it’s made the VNs easier to read for some - which is a good thing.

I can’t quite decide between the original and alchemist backgrounds… they both work really well!

As for what @uppfinnarn mentioned regarding perspectives… it’s something I never noticed when I first read the VNs, although that’s partly due to the filtered style of the original backgrounds. I think it’s more noticeable in Umineko due to the majority of the backgrounds being light fixtures on a ceiling,

I’ve played and finished Umineko with the original sprites; back when I played it I don’t think a patch for the PS3 sprites existed yet.
And now I am playing Higurashi on Steam with the Steam sprites…

I mean, to be completely honest, the aesthetics totally doesn’t affect the gameplay for me; I would have had the same reactions no matter what the sprites were. But hey, if given a choice, I would choose something prettier. No harm in it after all!

Although one thing I do notice is that, with the original sprites, Ryukishi tends to make some expressions a lot more vague, then re-uses it again later on. Like, Rena’s “hauu” face uses the same sprites as her worried face, and using those same sprites on the Steam version kind of shows a different nuance as compared to the original sprites…

4 Likes

Higurashi actually has four sets of sprites; the original sprites, the Matsuri sprites, the Kizuna/Sui sprites, and Steam sprites. After staring at the Kizuna/Sui sprites and Steam sprites, the Matsuri ones just aren’t too pleasing to look at. Matsuri had weird faces and weird proportions (Satoko and Rika were nearly as tall as the other characters). The Kizuna/Sui and Steam sprites fix these errors and are ultimately much more pleasing to look at in the end. I do prefer Kizuna/Sui over Steam.

As for Umineko, the PS3 version added some gorgeous, vibrant CGs, so I’m gonna have to go with the console sprites for Umineko!

Each set does have their own charm, though. I got used to the original sprites really fast.

6 Likes

I prefer the updated sprites for Umineko, (I haven’t read enough of Higurashi to give an opinion for it).
I love how they’re still expressive and very clear and appealing to the eye, my main issue with the original ones is that they’re unappealing to me, and I can’t stand to look at them for too long, but I can see why people would like them at the very least.

Okay so for umineko, I most certainly prefer the original sprites. It is odd, because the ps3 one do look amazing, I’ll even say they are better in almost every way. But I guess I am just too attached to the originals. It would be interesting to see if I actually played with the ps3 sprites on a 2nd play through if I would still like the original one better. Though I am pretty sure I will still like the originals better. I guess it is just purely attachment. idk its hard to explain, I will just say the original sprites are more magical lol. It might be their expressions I am really not sure.

I am not sure about higurashi, I am playing with the manga gamer ones because I find the mitten hands distracting. In Umineko they don’t tend to wave their hand around as much, plus the art is just better…

3 Likes

No one has brought it up yet, but how do people feel about the pachinko artwork that MG is going to be using for the steam release of Umineko?

My immediate reaction was that something was off about the faces. After looking at it for a bit I realized it was the chins were too sharp and the eyes were very rectangular with prominent eyelashes. It wasn’t until some time later that I realized what this style reminded me of. The sprites look like an otome-game version of Umineko.

6 Likes

Is battler becoming a Kogal? ._.

I don’t mind it based on that image - I still like it better than the original, but it is not really particularly appealing for me either.

Yeah same, I feel pretty neutral about it. I’m sure they’ll be fine, but I don’t feel strongly either way. Also is it just me or does Battler look way too tanned there? :stuck_out_tongue:

For Higurashi, I hate the original sprites. The Mangagamer sprites look a bit shiny and are a bit small, but they’re pretty good (especially (any chapter) the dull eyes.). That said, I took a liking to the PS3 sprites because of how expressive they are.

For Umineko, I prefer the originals. They have more soul and go pretty well with the great “blurry background” thing they have going on.

The Kizuna/Sui sprites from Higurashi are pretty great. Some are extremely similar to the Matsuri sprites (Satoko has some very minor differences, mostly involving her hair or eyes), but others, like Keiichi and Akasaka, are completely redone and have much more distinct features. The only shortcomings of the Kizuna/Sui sprites are that Mion doesn’t have a ( ー̀εー́ ) face (she makes that face about a million times in the original sprites and the Matsuri versions) and that Keiichi doesn’t have his bat in any of his sprites.

It’s interesting to note that Shion’s design in the Matsuri/Kizuna/Sui games is completely different than in the original sprites or the anime. Her school outfit is the same, but her casual outfit is actually layered tank tops and a denim skirt versus the sleeveless turtleneck with embedded jewelry on it and black, buttoned skirt that she originally has. I actually like it better, even though it’s a plainer outfit, because it seems more like what someone would actually wear. Keiichi has a similarly simplified outfit in that the weird, buttoned vest he originally has is turned into a simple tank top. It’s less distinctive, but also less distracting.

I can’t speak about the Umineko sprites. I know that the original sprites in Umineko are a big improvement over the original ones in Higurashi (though those still had their own unique charm).

See, I quite like some of the Pachinko sprites, like Jessica and the other cousins, but a lot of it just looks like somebody trying to copy Kei Natsumi and not understanding why exactly her art is so appealing. I do like many of the characters’ new looks, especially Bernkastel, but the adult family members all look so very… Strange. Anyway, was it confirmed that they were using the Pachislot Sprites? I heard they might just be placeholders.

(Oh, yeah, and I prefer the original sprites for Higurashi, but the PS3 for Umineko. Alchemist’s sprites for Higurashi look generic and they don’t emote anything, really, but Umineko’s sprites are all really expressive and wonderful. The MangaGamer sprites for Higurashi are fine, too.)