When They Cry - Original vs Updated Sprites

Totally with you. Beatrice’s expressions in the original Ryukishi art were the best, in my view, even more so than the updated ones. It’s precisely the imperfection of his art that makes faces like these two so perfect. Even contrasted with their new versions, I prefer the old ones a ton more:

5 Likes

I agree, I really love the original sprites. Perhaps I’m a fan of imagining Beatrice with a less pointy face shape, but undeterred by precision and darker facial shading I really enjoy her expressions (esp. through the eyes).

I’m also a sucker for the original background style, which just feels hazy, so this (Via. Umineko Screenshot generator) is still really my favorite way to see the series.

Plus, those I get to read the series get a kick out of this sprite style.

2 Likes

That style is really interesting as it uses real pictures that Ryukishi gathered that are drawn over. Not sure if that is a filter he used or if he actually drew over the pictures by hand, but I’m inclined to believe it’s the latter.

Rose Gun Days and Higanbana both also employ this style, and it works well.

Also for anyone wondering since everything was made using pictures there is a real location that the Rokkenjima mansion is based off of. The Kyu-Furukawa Gardens

4 Likes

I actually love all the PS3 and the original sprites just because it gives me new reasons to reread the story. It’s kinda nice to read the same story with different visuals. If I had to pick though, I prefer the alchemist version just because of the CGs but spriteswise, love them all.

2 Likes

I know that the PS3 sprites look really good and give the game a refined look, but I feel that the original sprites have a lot of meaning behind them for me. The way they look brings back almost nostalgic feeling to the game for me. Hopefully they allow you to switch between sprites in the steam version of Umineko like you can with Higurashi.

1 Like

The Kyu Furukawa Gardesn are beautiful and it’s a goal of mine to visit someday. I wonder if anyone has managed to track places from Higurashi bg. art

I haven’t played Higanbana and have most of my understanding from the manga, so it will be interesting to see the style in vn.

1 Like

I actually quite like Beatrice’s expressions in the PS3 version, for a somewhat strange reason: the way she’s written is really over-the-top. Her updated sprites feel to me like they capture this aspect of her better.

At the same time, the original sprites feel very… different, like they’re presenting the same character in subtly different ways.

1 Like

Higurashi’s Hinamizawa is very closely based on the village of Shirakawa and I believe the backgrounds are photos that Ryukishi took there, with a filter applied! I’d love to visit it sometime, it looks so idyllic.
I found some comparison pics with the anime (not mine!):

8 Likes

Now that I’ve actually played the new version of Umineko, which still isn’t available from Steam but is up on MangaGamer’s website… I actually really like the Pachislot sprites! They’re shockingly good. Thought they were ugly and I would hate them, but they fit surprisingly well.

3 Likes

There’s something about the ps sprites that I really dislike for both series - the characters look too tall and thin (like someone just stretched them to fit the entire screen) and they always have a distressed, defensive posture (arms to close to the torso, holding arms or purses too tightly etc. - that’s a bit more visible in Higurashi than in Umineko though). Not to mention the drawn backgrounds which just look way too off and out of place for me because of the weird perspectives and cartoony style.

I played Umineko years ago with the original sprites and enjoyed them, you can really tell that Ryu put a lot of love into them. However, I am really curious to play with the pachinko sprites as well - despite the fact that some female characters seem to have beach balls instead of breasts!

I do enjoy Higurashi’s steam sprites a lot, though. They really make the characters pop out of the background.

And did I mention I love the picture backgrounds, because of their more serious and mature vibe? I remember years ago when I stumbled upon someone teaching you how to make them in photoshop… lost the instructions, but it seemed to work. :slight_smile:

Edit: Been playing Umineko with the steam pachinko sprites for a while, they’re actually quite good! (Battler still looks a bit weird, but the others are ok and they blend in very well with the backgrounds)

I love Higurashi’s Steam sprites! They’re actually full of emotion (something that the Alchemist sprites lack, and they definitely lack a lot of poses).

However, after looking over the Pachinko art book, I just really wish Umineko was as popular as Higurashi to warrant a Sprite batch commission. Battler and George look especially hideous and inhuman, and the sprites except for 34-tan and Erika all lack the expressions and life Ryukishi has in his sprites (not to mention, there are maybe a total of seven total expressions per character when that is far from the case with the original sprites). I also dislike the Umineko Alchemist sprites, as they’re extremely static and again, the expressions don’t fit well except with Erika and 34-tan. For example, when the end of EP4 came, I was legitimately scared by that expression (you know the one), but in the PS3 version, I rolled my eyes because it looked so off. While Ryukishi does have that puni plushie style of art, I always loved that his sprites have so much emotion! It’s such a shame that for me, only the Steam Higurashi sprites come close to evoking the feeling that Ryukishi gave in the original.

Higurashi : I only like the original version. Like it was saying, the alchemist sprites lack of emotion. They aren’t ugly, it’s just that…they don’t have " soul " …? For the steam sprites, well, they have more emotions than the alchemist ones, but I don’t know exactly why I just can’t read with them, I think that they are too differents from the original version. Fun fact, one day, I wanted to read Higurashi with the Steam sprites, and after like 10 minute and without realizing it, I switched to the original sprites…But I think that I will give them another chance
Also, it’s ok for ryukishi to draw with bad proportions, he’s not a pro. But the steam version is supposed to correct things like that… yet look at Mion’s boobs lol they are way to huge

Oh, and ( Higurashi minor spoiler ) Why Tomitake is so muscular and skinny in the Alchemist/Steam version ? It’s stated by Takano that he is a bit fat, like the original sprite

For Umineko, well I kinda like both, though I prefer the original version, but I agree with @WitchOfGames about stuffs like the end of ep4

The problem imo for all the versions except the original is the backgrounds, I can’t help but think that they dont fit Higurasho and Umineko, maybe I’m just used to the realistic style of the original version…

Only seen Higurashi so far.

Steam version all the way. I understand some people do love the original look and are used to that, but it honestly shatters the illusion for me. The game has such a serious tone that the rough chibi art ruins it for me.

I got shown the console version art after playing Ep.2 but I just found it less detailed and nice than the Steam version art, so, eh.

Only read Umineko (so far!), and I must say I prefer the original sprites. While the PS3 ones are prettier, for sure, Ryukishi just has this way of drawing expressions that the PS3 sprites can’t match. I was going to do a reread with the PS3 sprites though, but considering I’m rereading with the Steam release now that won’t be an option until they’re patched in, which’ll probably still be a while off–and I certainly won’t be going with the Steam sprites.

They’re not terrible, but their chins are so very pointy, it’s distracting. But worst of all is Battler’s hair, imo, it looks so incredibly wrong and sharp that you could kill someone with it, I absolutely hate it. I hate the look of his face in general, tbh, it’s far too angular.

Culprit: Battler, in the billiard room, with his hair.

2 Likes

The PS3 version was way more better than the original PC game because Battler’s, Jessica’s and George’s eyes are black and in the PS3 version, Bernkastel’s hair is blue and 07th Expansion is better. This person is REALLY skilled at drawing creepy and sad faces.

Found an unfortunate issue that has arisen from basing the new Umineko art assets on the pachinko assets.

Character spoilers for Ep.4

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

this is… rather game shattering

3 Likes

If you ask me, I prefer the original sprites for Higurashi and the PS3 sprites for Umineko. I ended up being introduced to the VN’s for both series with the updated versions and disliked the original sprites until they eventually grew on me. On the orginal BG’s, I don’t know why, but there’s something about the original sprites that made me stare at them while I read the Higurashi VN’s. In comparsion, I don’t like the updated Higurashi BG’s. There something about it that just so boring to look at. Oddly enough, I don’t feel the same way about Umineko’s updated BG’s. It’s probably because I went through the entire story with the PS3 sprites. Speaking of backgrounds, I was reading Arc 2 of Higurashi when something caught my eye.

I swear that looks like Yugi/Yami from Yu-Gi-Oh and Luffy from One Piece. No way you can tell me otherwise.

2 Likes

When you realize that suicide is the only way to escape their eyes. They’re looking at you. Almost pleading.

"Please kill me. I don’t belong here

And you can’t. They’re trapped behind this infernal device of lights and glass. You can never reach them. Never choke the life out of them like they want.

I walk around my house. I see a window, I see my floor. My walls. Across all of them. I see the faces. They just wanted to be released. I could never help them. I could never SAVE them. They’ll always be here in my head. Unable to die.

Oh god, now I’ve doubled the pain. They exist both here and there. Two sets of four characters. One set here. One set in the screen. I can free one of the sets. I feel something hard against my temple. I don’t know where I got the gun. I feel resistance from the trigger. I pull, as I free them from their cage.

6 Likes

are you okay

4 Likes

Play TTS