WTC5: Blind or Spoilers?

Once WTC5 finally releases, it’s very likely there will be a lengthy waiting period for the translation. During that period, will you try and learn as much as you can about it or will you try to completely avoid spoilers and wait for the translation? This is assuming you don’t know Japanese or won’t be using some form of machine translation to assist you.

The beginning of a new entry after so many years is exciting! But how much of your excitement and curiosity will you be able to contain? Do you think you can endure the wait? What if the things we learn from announcements isn’t enough information for you? How much are you willing to spoil yourself?

The very first entry is an introduction to the characters and setting. Do you want your first experience to be pure or do you not mind being spoiled before reading it for yourself?

• I will wait for the translation and try to avoid spoilers.
  • I want to know as much as possible as soon as it’s released! I’m fine with spoilers.
  • I may peek at a few spoilers after it’s released, but I don’t want too much to be spoiled for me.

0 voters

9 Likes

I am so conflicted, to be honest.

I want to say ‘oh yes, I will totally avoid spoilers’, but I know myself far too well for that. I will definitely look into certain details (perhaps the characters and the premise), but I will TRY my best to stay away from spoilers.

There is always the possibility of being accidentally spoiled, so that’s also thing.

In any case, I choose the second option. I truly hope we get the translation asap.

1 Like

Will read it in Japanese most likely, together with some other japanese reader friends, and will evade spoiling anyone in the english community until they get their hands in the translation.

I rather not say stuff about japanese only releases when it comes to 07th Expansion works (although I did made a little review for TRT on vndb), as they deserve to be appreciated by the (insert language to be translated here) community as a whole as soon as they can actually read them properly.

But that’s just me.

1 Like

I feel like we need a fourth option for people who plan on reading it when it comes out :wahaha:

6 Likes

When I was tracking Umineko I spoiled myself quite a bit on /jp/ so I may just do that again…

3 Likes

I’ll probably read up on the basic story but try to avoid spoilers beyond that

2 Likes

I think I’ll go blind on WTC 5 and ignore the spoilers on the sites i visit

1 Like

Higurashi and Umineko’s story and twists were so HOLY FRIKKIN MIND-BLOWING, so I will try to experience that again if WTC5’s story comes close, hopefully it’s even better. :laughing:

During Umineko’s time, in-between a Chapter’s release and the translation’s, I virtually abandoned all anime forums and all theorizing. I also temporarily blocked people that could read Japanese so I couldn’t read their posts, just in case… :grimacing:

However, I visit the sites time to time to Ctrl+S all the discussion threads in forums where threads aren’t archived (at the time) to read up on what people were theorizing about.

One of my homepage tab was set up to http://witch-hunt.com/news.html just to keep up with the translation updates.

“MEANWHILE AT WITCH-HUNT…”

Those were the days… :joy:

To whoever is translating WTC5, setup a Patreon or Kickstarter or a Bitcoin/Litecoin wallet something. Translate and take my money!

7 Likes

I JUST HAD THE WORST DEJA VU LMAOOOOOOO, amazing

Anyway, I want to say that I will hold back and all, but I know that I will probably not be patient enough to wait full and properly. When it was with Umineko, I spoiled myself EP6 fully, and EP7 I managed to not spoil myself at all and it was HARD. (Then EP8 took a whole year so even if I tried, I ended up seeing spoilers here and there).

Point is, my Japanese is not good enough yet, and just like I’m still upset with Trianthology not being translated, I’m worried no one will translate WTC5, we don’t have a promise we will receive it translated.

Basically I will try to avoid spoilers aside for hearing if it “worths reading”, then it will depends on the translation, if there will be any, and my curiosity.

1 Like

I will must definitely try reading it in Japanese when it releases. My Japanese was quite good a few years back although it is severly lacking now. I’m fairly sure I will use WTC5 as a way to help me get it back to snuff again.

At the moment it’s best to buy the shit out of the mangagamer WtC releases to increase the chance of them localising WTC5 (wishful thinking but I can dream.)

2 Likes

Got spoiled before and it never ruined it for me. I doubt I’ll make a particular effort either way and just look up stuff I’m curious about.

2 Likes

Will read in Japanese as soon as god damn possible. Then I’ll wait for the translation and read it again :kinzo:

The best thing about WTC-spoilers is that the person doing the spoiling doesn’t necessarily need to be right. So when you read it for yourself, you might have an entirely different read on the same situation.

Apart from that, yes, full agreement here. I never cared about spoilers, I’m thinking a story needs to stand on the depth of its underlying narrative and not solely the punch of its surprises. In fact, going in while already looking for the signs of foreshadowing saves at least me the time for a re-read. XD

3 Likes

I’m an expert at avoiding spoilers. when I was too lazy to read English content I kept waiting for things to be translated into Brazilian Portuguese. Nowadays, I have left laziness aside.

I used to spoil myself on /jp with Umineko, but everything was so out of context, that it barely mattered. I will probably research characters and the general setting and beyond that… depends on how long a translation might take. If it’s too long, I’ll probably dive full into spoiler territory.

1 Like

Interesting results so far. I wasn’t sure if the crowd for avoiding spoilers would be big or small, so I’m a bit surprised how many are willing to see a few spoilers.

@Ushiromiya_Battler
I think that’s pretty much how I feel as well. If Ryukishi does try to keep too much of it secret, that’s just going to make me far too curious to wait it out. He even said he would try to keep the true title a secret until it’s nearly time for it to be sold.

@danpmss
Sounds awesome! Sounds like you already have a small group you can read and discuss it with once it’s released.
I’m hoping there’s lots of others that are also respectful like that so that no one accidentally stumbles upon a major spoiler.

@Aspirety
I considered it at first but the question is directed at those who are unable to read it right away. Still, maybe it wouldn’t hurt to add such an option after all.
Edit: (Over 5 minutes have passed, so I can’t change the poll. Oh well, at least those who will read it in Japanese can still respond to the thread.)

@epika
At least this will be the start of a new series. Having the first part spoiled might not be as bad as a major spoiler that only shows up much later. Hopefully we get a translation and not be left in the dark as more and more parts get released.

@EternalMagician
Sounds fair. Shouldn’t hurt to get an idea of what type of story it is and see if it sounds like something that catches your interest.

@SSJInferno
Good luck!

@TheGoldenWitch
That’s incredible! I regret not following Umineko as it was released, I ended up waiting on the anime adaptation, then I waited some more years for the whole thing to be released so that I can read the whole thing without waiting. The way you managed to avoid spoilers for this series is admirable, I’d wish you luck on it but it sounds like you’ll be fine.

@UmiNetta
I understand how tough it’s going to be. If we don’t get translators or we do but they end up being too slow, that’s going to be really painful. I’d imagine even looking up fanart will be like walking through a minefield.

@Tidian
Should be plenty of months until then to hone your Japanese through studying and practice. Good luck!

@prototypeOEZ
I’m sure some of the staff would love to if they could, but the ones that worked on Umineko could also use a break because of how much hard work it sounded like. Still, I included WTC5 in their survey just in case.

@rockmor
That’s the spirit! :ryukishi:

@Blackrune
@Dschehuti
@sii_kei
Indeed. Even if you hear a spoiler like “Mr. X dies”, you don’t know exactly when it happens, how it happens, or why it happens. Or you do know it’s going to happens but the way the whole story builds up to it can still make it a shock. Or the community has made a joke and you don’t realize or get it.
I was wondering how many here wouldn’t mind spoilers that much, so thanks for replying!

@JmTrad
Here’s hoping for a translation! Even if it isn’t in English, the more people that can read Ryukishi’s work, the better.

5 Likes

Aside from like character designs, I think i’d be pretty upset with myself if I got spoiled on the setting or the narrative. Honestly, since i’ve yet to read Higurashi at all, i’m not even sure what the difference is between a WTC game and Ryukishi07’s other work.

I wish I could have done blind run of Umineko, but nothing stays spoiler free for me. I feel that it would have been a different experience if it didn’t get spoiled, not drastically, but more of compromised puzzle. If it makes any sense.

Dang right!

I was so spoiler averse not just to the story, I wont even listen to the OSTs before reading the actual Chapter.
Though IIRC, I eventually caved and listened to lastendconductor one time.

Aaaaand now I’m listening to it again. Man, it’s sooooo goooood.

WTC5 is this year right? :sweat_smile:

4 Likes