General Pokémon topic

Pokémon is one of the most popular games of all time. This huge franchise is beloved by millions and includes the six (so far) generations of main series games, tons of spin-off games, long running anime series, tons of movies, a few manga series, and themed airplanes?! Here is the topic to discuss all things Pokémon.

Here are some questions you may answer to kick off the discussion:

• What is your favorite Pokemon and why?
  • What is your favorite main series or spin-off game?
  • What is your favorite generation and why?
  • What is your favorite starter?
  • What is your dream team?
  • Would you like to play with others on pokemon showdown?
  • Have you played any fan games?
  • Are you hyped for gen 7?

As an example I will answer these questions first.
My favorite pokemon is Snorlax. It’s pretty weird but I basically like Snorlax because when I played against my friends somewhat competitively in gen 6, Snorlax was the first Pokemon I got perfect IV’s on and the play style of Curselax that I used was hilarious. Also he’s lazy. That’s always fun.

My favorite Pokemon game in general is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Sky. Overall it was just an enjoyable game but then Gates to Infinity happened which sucked so I don’t play mystery dungeon anymore.

My favorite generation is most likely gen 6 because I spent so much time on it. Gen 6 brought a lot of people to competitive with the changes to the IV breeding system which I thought was pretty cool.

Favorite starter is Blastoise because it was my first Pokemon. I think a few others will say the same.

My dream team is the one used in gen 6 against friends. Snorlax, Lucario, Whimsicott, Sigliyph, Blastoise, and Venosuar.

If anyone is interested I would be down to play against people on showdown. I like double battles more but singles are cool too.

Heh fan games. I completed Delicious Loli Moemon Emerald. It was an interesting experience. Uhh… I’m not a lolicon.

I kinda fell out of being interested in Pokémon but gen 7 does look kinda cool. The grass starter is like some waifu…? I don’t even know but I might pick it up.

You don’t have to answer all the questions but basically my goal here is to find more people with common interests to help us bond as a community.

4 Likes

Favorite Pokemon: Scyther, because it’s a praying mantis with scythes for hands. Need I say more? Also Scizor is my least favorite pokemon because it has clamps instead of scythes. Seriously WTF?

Favorite Game: Probably Black/White because the gym leaders actually did plot relevant things and helped stop the bad guys. Good to see them be useful for once.

Favorite Gen: Either Gen I or Gen V. Gen one is in large part nostalgia, but it also has a ton of fantastic pokemon designs. Gen V for me has the best balance of good designs and competative usefulness out of any of the gens aside from maybe Gen I.

Favorite Starter: Honestly I can’t pick, pass.

Dream Team: Pass again, I like too many pokes and have too many awesome teams to have a single dream team. If I wanted it I probably already made it.

Showdown: I used to play on showdown but it’s never as fun as playing in person with people you know. I was a gym leader at a league in college and it was a ton of fun, we had a lot of people who were both competitive and creative, not just making smogon sets and whatnot.

Fan games: no

Gen 7: I am hyped, but I’m not really into competitive play that much anymore so I’m more hyped for theorymoning than actually playing.

2 Likes

Favorite Pokemon: Lanturn. I loved it since I played gen II, I really like the typing of this pokemon.
the only thing I don’t really like is its shiny’s colors.

Favorite Game: hmm I’d say it’s a tie between HG/SS and Black 2/White 2. They both have awesome post game content. BW2 also had a pretty good regional dex and I loved the story. Especially the new rival.

Favorite Gen: Gen II or Gen IV. They’re both complementary gens that didn’t add much new pokemon but mostly evolutions to those who needed it.

Favorite Starter: hmm, I’d say Infernape or Delphox. I always prefered fire starters and those two are awesome. :3

Dream Team: I don’t have a particular team, but there’s 2 pokemon that are always in most teams I make: Electrode and Snorlax.

Pokemon Showdown: I don’t really like using showdown because even though I like competitive play, I enjoy myself the most by raising my team, breeding and training it, seeing it progress, becoming better.

Fan games: Moemon, Touhoumon, PokeMMO (if that counts)

Gen 7: I’m pretty hyped. What I’ve seen so far seems pretty good.

2 Likes
  • Vulpix…It’s hard to think of a good reason, I guess it’s PMD’s fault for giving Vulpix to me, I’ve grown to love Vulpix more than any Pokemon.
  • Favorite game… probably Platinum, brings back to most memories from when I played it so much years ago.
  • Gen 4, for same reason as above.
  • Hmm… hard to pick a favorite, but probably Fennekin.
  • Dream team huh… 6 Vulpix’s? Or, more seriously, probably something with Ninetails, Froslass, Empoleon, and some others I forget.
  • …What’s Pokemon Showdown?
  • I’ve tried a few of the ROM hacks and some of the fan-made online games, none of them really captured the Pokemon feeling for me though.
  • Haven’t seen much of it yet, so we’ll see.
4 Likes

My favorite Pokemon: Ermmm…my loyalty makes me say Charmander, but Turtwig and Gallade are always on his tail. Charmander was my first starter and basically the Pokemon I beat Pokemon Red with back in the day. Pokemon Red was my first level based RPG, and I still really vividly remember how much the swell of excitement and happiness I had even as I took my first steps into the tall grass. Few games have ever made me feel that way.

Turtwig I like because I credit him with me finding my way back to Pokemon. I had not loved Gold and Silver, and I skipped Ruby and Sapphire, and was not even aware of Diamond and Pearl. At some point a few of my friends did mention they were playing pokemon, and one of them, for no particular reason, got me a little Turtwig plushie. I was instantly in love with his cute nub face, and ended up getting Pearl and having a blast playing it.

Gallade is one who I got into playing Pearl as well, I got a good one and he served me well, and I love the male dancer motif.

My favorite main series game (I have not really played the spin offs) is probably X objectively, but my heart really can’t pick. I really liked the way X & Y were able to introduce things like the trainer customization I had wanted since day one, and in general gave a unique experience that was somehow new and reminiscent of the original at the same time.

A friend of mine (the one who got me the plush turtwig) did have me start building a character for a Pokemon RP. I have never done an RP before, and it basically ended up falling through - he moved out of state now - but the RP looked fun.

I am really excited for the next generation. They introduced a lot of new things in X & Y that I am excited to see how they get refined.

2 Likes

My favorite Pokemon is Rattata. He’s not like regular Rattata, you know; it’s like he’s in the top percentage of Rattata!

I like HG/SS, mainly because my Rattata shines the most there. And because I get to call my friends a lot. Unlimited minutes, you know, unlike most of the other games. So I call a lot. (Admit it: you like my hourly check-ins.)

3 Likes

Alrighty! It’s finally time for me to make a post on here!

I’m a super huge Pokemon fan, mostly the anime though, but I love my mons nonetheless! The Diamond and Pearl anime really got me back into actively watching it again and the XY games got me back into playing the games.

Favorite Pokemon: If you couldn’t tell by my username, it’s Pikachuuu~ The first Pokemon I saw, the first Pokemon I fell in love with. This little electric mouse has been my life and joy~

Favorite Game: Hmmmmm. I’m not sure at the moment. Though I love Yellow and the GSC gen.

Favorite Gen: Gen 2 probably. I own all three games and loooved playing it a lot.

Favorite Starter: PIKACHUUUU. qwq

Dream Team: Pass. Don’t really play competitively so I don’t really have one to aspire too.

Showdown: I played once, it looked pretty fun but I wouldn’t play it as much. I’d love watching people play it though.

Fan games: Nope.

Gen 7: I’m excited to see where this goes~ I already have a custom litten plushie on hand for my cosplay of the girl for AX. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Favorite Pokemon: Umbreon. I love all Eeveelutions, but Umbreon is the coolest for me. Just the tough Dark type and the look of it really makes me love it. I always get try to get Umbreon in any Pokemon game I play.

Favorite Game: I’d say Emerald, but it is really close with Red/Blue/Yellow. I liked a lot of the 3rd Gen Pokemon, and it was the game I played the most. The first Gen games are special to me though, since they were the first video games that I remember playing with my dad, so that kinda means a lot to me.

Favorite Gen: Gen 3. Gardevoir and Aggron are my faves.

Favorite Starter: Uuuuuummmm, I’ll be lame and pick Charizard, cause why not?

Dream Team: Not a competitive player…

Showdown: I’ve tried it, but I’m not really looking to play.

Fan Games: Nah man, haven’t touched them.

Gen 7: Oh hell yeah. Rowlet looks pretty baller with that bowtie.

1 Like

What is your favorite Pokemon and why?-Banette! I naturally grew interested in it because it’s not only a Ghost-type, but the Marionette Pokemon. I love how foreboding it is, but to me, it’s really cute!
What is your favorite main series or spin-off game?-I probably liked X and Y best, because I liked the customization and being able to interact with your Pokemon.
What is your favorite generation and why?-Probably 5 or 6, 5 because I like a good deal of the Pokemon, and 6 because Fairy Tapes made the battles against Dragons fairer (I can’t even begin to tell you how hard the end of BW2 was with that Dragon Gym and Iris with the minimal Pokemon who could do anything against a Dragon)
What is your favorite starter?-I’ve always really liked Chikoritabecause it’s adorable, but battle-wise, my Sceptile in AS has never let me down.
What is your dream team?-I want to transfer my Shiny Lampent from BW2 over, a Giratina, my Sceptile, a Sylveon, a Banette, and probably a Fire Type.
Would you like to play with others on pokemon showdown?-I don’t think I have that game, but I’m sure it’d be fun!
Have you played any fan games?-I haven’t, actually, but they look really good! I might try a Touhoumon game someday.
Are you hyped for gen 7?-Heck yes! I liked going to Oahu last year, and getting to visit all the islands with cute Pokemon and really good friends in the game is gonna be awesome!

2 Likes

Oh I guess I didn’t explain what Pokemon Showdown actually is. It’s a free website thing where people battle against each other. You can make your own team or do random battles with others and more. Lots of times people use showdown to test out teams before they breed in the real game and try to play semi-competitively, so playing against random people with your team kinda helps gauge how you can use your team in different settings. Its pretty fun stuff. Check it out at http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/

Favorite pokemon: Not really sure. I guess I’ve always really loved Steel types. So Scizor, Aggron, Lucario… I was also always a fan of Shedinja, I dont know.

Favorite main-series game: Hands down Emerald. Dont get me wrong, Ive loved all the others too, but Emerald will always have a special place in my heart as my first Pokemon game. Nostalgia factor to 11. I played it over and over and over and it never got old.

Fav spin-off game: Hmmm, Red Rescue Team was awfully dope… But Pokemon Ranger was really cool too. I dont know, someone else choose for me!

Fav Gen: Probably a tie between 3rd and 4th. 3rd for same as above. It was my first, and Ive spent a ton of time with it.
But 4th was the first time I really got hype about a new game coming out. I remember going into GameStop and playing the demo, “OMG its this new pokemon Lucario he’s sooo cool”.

The coolest and most memorable part though, was that it was released right before my birthday, and my parents surprised me by taking me to the Nintendo World Store in NYC where I got the game, and got to hang out at the huge release party. Needless to say, I have tons of memories about the Sinnoh region.

Fav Starter: Uhhhg… stop asking me all these hard questions. My first was Treecko, but I think I ended up liking Mudkip more from Gen 3… I dont know, Ive never really had a go-to starter in any game.

Dream team: No idea! Never played competitive, so Ive never thought about it that way at least. I think my final team from my first ever playthrough of Emerald was: Camerupt, Flygon, Alteria, Walrein, Cradily, Sceptile.

Fan games: Light Platinum and Rebirth. Although I havent beat either of them, they were both pretty fun.

Hype: Well, haha… I havent actually played a Pokemon game since White. I just decided the other day to go back through and play all the ones I missed; just got White 2. We’ll see how that goes, but Ive heard pretty good things about it.

Here’s my own question for everyone: Do you nickname your pokemon, and if so, uh… explain?

I didnt used to nickname at all, no exceptions. Then when I found out about Nuzlocke runs, of course one of the common rules is that you have to nickname every pokemon, so I tried it out.
Now what I love to do is think of a common naming theme. For example, one time I used all Little Busters characters. For White 2 Im gonna use F/SN Servant Class names XD

Absolutely, I nickname any Pokemon that’s going to be on my team during my playthrough, and all of my competitive Pokemon. The competitive ones have a lot of thought put into the names, whereas the playthrough ones are just whatever comes to mind first when I catch them.

Now what I love to do is think of a common naming theme. For example, one time I used all Little Busters characters.

I have a few themed named competative teams. I had two ground gym teams that I made for the league at my college, the first one had Baccano themed naming, and the second had Gurren Lagann themed naming. I made the teams first and then picked fitting names. I have also made 2 teams where the naming was the first part and I just found 6 pokemon that fit the names and stuck them on team. The first was a Steins;Gate team and the second was an Umineko team.

I never really named my pokemon because my brother taught me how to play pokemon and he told me never to name them because he was used to how it was in gen 1 where the pokemon menu screen doesn’t actually show the pokemon so someone gave him a Magikarp named “Mew” which pissed him off. Eventually, in gen 6 I did start naming a little, especially my competitive(ish) team. I forgot what I actually named them but I remember I did name my Snorlax “Yo Mama” so yeah that’s a thing.

So Pokemon Go is out now. Are you guys playing? If you don’t have it in you’re country yet are you going to play? What teams are you guys in? (You should totally pick yellow team for no particular reason.) Also I’m in yellow team if you want to join me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Answering the new questions!

I do nickname my Pokemon! I nickname rarely on a type of name scheme, like I used to do a Touhou-naming scheme but then got tired with that and I now name them whatever comes to mind. For example, I caught Dialga and decided to name it Dio Brando.

As for Pokemon Go, I’m playing, but there is JACK to catch or find when you live in the Deep South and the humidity makes a 100 degree heat even more unbearable (I tried walking to a Pokestop in the heat with a water bottle in hand and felt absolutely sick for the rest of the day. I made it, though.) I’m not in any team yet, since I’m not level 5 yet. ^^; My sister and her boyfriend got into it, though, so it’s now a family fun thing!

My phone can’t run it. I’m even sadder than the fact I can’t buy the umineko steam release.
cries :’(

1 Like

I’ve installed it, and caught a couple Zubats… my lazy self can’t be bothered walking around to catch more, maybe someday!

I installed it but haven’t run it yet. Partly because I’m afraid of adding even more games to my already packed Overwatch schedule, and partly because of the rumored horror of battery drain.

If I did get it, I would probably just run around till I find a Growlithe, and then adopt it and be happy forever.

I live in a pretty decent spot for Pokemon GO but I’m running it on a Wi-Fi only iPad, since my phone can’t support it. Sometimes I go out for a walk and use my phone as a hotspot for the iPad but it can get kind of expensive, so I haven’t done too much on it.

At the very least I can keep track of the Gym near my house and make sure it remains under Valor control.

I was a beta tester for Pokemon Go actually, but didn’t really have many friends close to my area to talk about it so it got boring for me quick. Though nowadays with family and other friends joining in I’ve been getting into it again.

My city is so dead when it comes to Pokemon sadly. I went to San Francisco the other day and it was loaded with Pokestops!

NEW POKEMON SUN AND MOON TRAILER HYPE

To quote my twitter:

“New vulpix form, that cute plant, those cute birds, the cutie girl trainers, z form aahhhh my bb Pikachu!”

2 Likes