It Walks In Our Home

[color=blue] The keeper of the study key is Kanon himself. He has the study door key on him, which is why he tells Kinzo that the only way someone stole the box would be if Kinzo himself let the culprit in (he obviously believes himself not to be the culprit). This is also why Kinzo tells him to step away from the door, as he fears Kanon will open it. [/color]

EDIT: I’ll add a bit to this.
[color=blue] The culprit is Jessica. She stole the key from Kanon during their rendezvous in the broom closet. She used the key to sneak into Kinzo’s study at some point, steal the box, then returned the key to Kanon, who had it on his person when he first came upon the massacre and interacts with Kinzo through the door. Then, Jessica pretended to be dead in the library. While Kanon was in shock, she steals the study key from him once more, and slips out before he can lock the library up. Then, she uses the key to kill Kinzo. This is why the key is missing from Kanon’s person when he “looks for something to open the study door with” [/color]

2 Likes

hellonarrators

I figured this would pop up sooner or later.

Well, lesse. I really don’t need to do much here.

I mean, putting aside the ways it’d stretch some of the narration, all I need is to show the key couldn’t have ended up back on Kinzo’s person if Kanon was the one that was meant to have it.

Your theory’s as good a start as any on that journey.

[color=red]Jessica really was dead when Kanon found her in the library.[/color]

I’ll retreat on that front at least, then.

[color=blue] Somebody else stole the key from Kanon during the timeframe Jessica could have in the last theory. They returned it to Kanon as described, then later pick pocketed him again before killing Kinzo. [/color]

Come now. I realize I might be playing this game a bit looser than usual, but you can’t expect to get away with something as undetailed as that. After all, it helps neither you nor me in terms of progress.

Then let’s get this out of the way for now.

[color=blue] The personality known as “Jessica” was “dead” in the library, but a split personality (The Monster) carried out the actions described in the earlier blue. [/color]

The first game’s got your back here.

[color=red]None of the people on the island suffer from any sort of personality disorders.[/color]

[color=blue] The culprit is Nanjo, who was pretending to be dead. While Kanon was shaking him, he stole the study key. He then used it to kill Kinzo and plant the key on his body. He switched the box of poison Kinzo had shown Kanon with a replica box sometime earlier. [/color]

1 Like

Same thing but [Color=blue] Kinzo allowed Nanjo to take the box of poison on the night of the 4th, he trusted Nanjo enough. Nanjo could’ve taken the box with some excuse, maybe saying he needed it for his experiments or for some other reason. Kinzo thought Kanon was suspicious, so he didn’t tell him about this when asked. [/color]

Kinzo’s reticence shows he could be hiding something (with no malicious intent, he was simply suspicious), supporting this theory more.

1 Like

It took be a bit to figure out why that last sentence was there, but I think I see what you’re gunning for. Just to be certain, though – you’re basically saying sometime after Kanon left, Kinzo let Nanjo into his study, where Nanjo switched the box with a replica, fooling Kinzo at the time, yes? This is to avoid needing that step of pickpocketing the key off of Kanon earlier in the evening, I imagine.

Well, in that case, I can shoot down that along with this…

…By simply saying that [color=red]after Kanon left Kinzo’s study on the night of the 4th, Kinzo let nobody into his office. Kinzo never simply gave the box that Kanon saw to anyone, either.[/color] You can’t claim a box was switched with anything before Kanon showed up, otherwise Kinzo should’ve noticed it during his examination of the thing.

1 Like

Fair enough. [color=blue]Nanjo took the key from Kanon while he was sleeping. He then stole the poison, and planted the key back on Kanon before he woke up. [/color]

1 Like

[Color=blue] Soon after Kanon left the room after being shown the poison, the culprit sneakily entered the room and took the box from the bookshelf. [/color]
[Color=blue] Soon after Kanon left the room after being shown the poison, the culprit used strings to get the box after it was put on the bookshelf, nobody noticed. [/color]

By that, I mean one of these was done in the span between Kinzo putting the box on the bookshelf and the study’s door closing.
That bookshelf seems suspicious, anyway, so it might be that [Color=blue] the bookshelf has a secret mechanism that makes the wall behind it turn, the culprit took the poison with this method and then flipped the wall back. This mechanism can only be activated from outside the room, that’s why no one found it. [/color]

1 Like

Aw, and I wanted to have a little giggle until you realized you could just suggest that.

Oh, well.

This game has been moving at an alarming rate, so I suppose you’ve earned a more decisive red at this point.

Do have fun with it.

[color=red]By the time the group found Nanjo’s body, Kinzo was dead.[/color]

I’m afraid I can’t allow for either of those. In the case of the former, the chances of neither Kinzo nor Kanon noticing someone just walking in are impossible. And I’m afraid I can’t just accept “string trick” without any sort of additional explanation.

The first game speaks to us once more from beyond the ether.

[color=red]No secret passages exist in the mansion.[/color] What you describe here would fall into that definition. (Even if you claim a person couldn’t fit through an object could so. Might as well be broad about it.)

To tell you the truth, I’m still amused you haven’t picked up on the logical inconsistency that arises if Kanon is supposed to have the key.

Oh, well.

I’m sure it’s not a big deal.

2 Likes

Okay, we’re still fine, I guess.

[color=blue]Same theory as above, but the key was never returned to Kanon at all. He just hadn’t checked his person for it until the narrative states he did.[/color]

Not at all fine, I’m afraid.

After all, by your logic, Kanon was confident Kinzo letting someone in was the only option because he knew he had the key. But if he had never bothered to check at any point, then he could’ve hardly known for sure. He could’ve reached the same conclusion of someone just taking it off him.

And it doesn’t make sense he wouldn’t check. Because again. There were only two options. One of those he could confirm, and indeed must have, to say with certainty that the second one was the only option.

DWaM is right, “I checked my person. Nothing I could use to open the door. I chuckled. Why would there be? GOD FORBID!” (Page 74). This followed by Kanon kicking the door in order to open it.
Kanon didn’t have the key on his person.

Why did Kinzo hole up his study, anyway? And how did he know the telephone lines were cut? No telephone was mentioned when talking about Kinzo’s study, if I didn’t miss anything.

[Color=blue] Kinzo left his study at some point, before holing up, he took the box with him. While he was out he noticed that the telephone lines were cut, and decided to run away, he dropped the box in the process. His survival instincts had the priority, so he didn’t come back to take the box. He then holed himself up in the study.[/color]

The thing could work out even if he had a telephone in his study, [Color=blue] he simply ran away after sensing danger (hearing strange sounds, finding a body or seeing the culprit) and dropped the box in the process. [/color]
Honestly this seems more logical than Kinzo running like hell after seeing the telephone not working, but his sixth sense is probably really good, so…

[Color=blue] Kinzo died later due to a timed explosion mechanism which blew his head. [/color] This one is more of a wild guess.

1 Like

Do you mean he’s right about there being a logical inconsistency with the idea that Kanon is the assigned “key-bearer” for the study? If anything that suggests to me that he expected there to be something on his person to open the door (why check, otherwise?), and the GOD FORBID is in response to the idea that he dropped the key somewhere along the way.

1 Like

You might be right. I was thinking more along the lines of Kanon just going nuts and searching impulsively for the key, being on the verge of madness.

1 Like

Oh, well. I’ll let you ponder on that.

The first game might help you there.

Regarding the blues:

I can’t imagine why Kinzo would be casually walking around with the box of poison in his arms. He had nowhere to take it, and we’ve established when he wanted to show it to someone, he had them in his study.

But, sure. I’ll play ball. [color=red]Kinzo never took the box with the poison outside of the study after Kanon left on the night of the 4th.[/color]

[color=red]The culprit was in the study when they shot Kinzo.[/color]

1 Like

Alright. Let’s break down what, from my understanding, is every mystery in play here. If you’d be so kind as to point out any unaddressed mysteries that would be necessary for a solution, I’d appreciate it.

[color=blue]The culprit is Rudolf. The body in Kyrie’s room is a prepared fake dressed in his clothing. Alternatively, it is Gohda or Genji’s body dressed in his clothes. [/color] This theory works for any of the adults or George playing dead, so I’d just repeat it all with the name substitution :slight_smile:

Natsuhi’s Room Key
[color=blue] The culprit can move freely, and thus planted the key once Kanon had left the area [/color]

Rosa’s Locked Room
[color=blue] The culprit locked Rosa’s room from the inside, and hid in the desk as Blackrune theorized. In the case where he used Gohda or Genji’s body as a decoy, Rudolf dressed the body up as their original owner and put it in Rosa’s locked room as well. This could’ve occurred while the group discovered Natsuhi and Krauss, and could have been the reason he directed them to that room. [/color]

Kinzo’s Stupid Box of Poison Adventures
A few possibilities here. We have it in red that Kinzo would not have let anybody into the study of his own volition after showing Kanon the poison box the night before. This means the culprit had to have used the key to the study to both steal the poison and kill Kinzo.

[color=blue] Kanon is the key keeper. He was supposed to return the key to Kinzo when he delivered the coffee, but he forgot to. Kinzo realizes that Kanon should still have the key, so he is highly suspicious of him during their encounter outside his study. Kanon believes he dropped the key off, and thus only Kinzo could have let someone into the study. In fact, Rudolf pick pocketed the key from Kanon while he slept. Thus, both Kanon and Kinzo’s actions make sense. Rudolf could freely use the key to steal the poison and kill Kinzo whenever he chose to. [/color]

It is highly likely that Kinzo’s study is NOT soundproof, since they can communicate with him through the closed door. This means that Kinzo may have actually been shot the night before, since nobody heard a gunshot after the interaction with “Kinzo” through the door. Battler heard a gunshot from the ground floor that presumably took place on the third floor, since it seems like that would be Kanon getting rekt. This points to the idea that a gunshot would have been heard from anywhere in the house, except maybe if it took place from within the library.

This would mean that if [color=blue] Kinzo was shot the night before, and the culprit created a “soundboard” like recording of Kinzo’s voice, which he used to trick the group into thinking he was still alive. [/color] This doesn’t contradict the red of the voice actually belonging to Kinzo and actually coming from the other side. Both of these blues can coexist together anyway.

The Power Outage and Nanjo’s Death
Again, the culprit can move freely. No problem here.

Natsuhi’s Worst Bathroom Visit Yet
Let’s stick with one of the theories that passed earlier. The remote mechanism tied to, lets say, the tap.

I’ll note here that Rudolf is one of the few people who could’ve still been alive to kill Natsuhi. Krauss, Shannon, Kumasawa, Genji, Gohda and Rosa seem pretty convincingly dead. Jessica was dead before all the killings finished this time around (proven in red), so it’s unlikely she can be the culprit. Kyrie and Hideyoshi have an alibi. Battler is… probably not the culprit. There’s too much working against that idea both in this game and in the last. Kinzo is dead, as confirmed in red. That leaves one of Nanjo, Rudolf, George or Eva faking dead. Do let me know if I’m overlooking someone here.

HA HA HA
Rudolf would have been free to write this graffiti as well, then meet with Kanon (after doing this:)

Kyrie and Hideyoshi Dead in the Parlor (with the sword)
[color=blue] Rudolf uses the sword left by Shannon’s body to kill Hideyoshi. The only way Kyrie would let anyone in to the parlor is pretty much if they’re Rudolf come back from the grave. Which he was. She lets her guard down and is knocked out by Rudolf, who then impales Hideyoshi. He takes Kyrie’s shotgun and beats her to death with the butt of it. [/color]

Kanon Gets Shot
Kanon gets shot.

2 Likes

It’s actually just the door to the study that lets sound through. The first game establishes Kinzo’s study, for the most part, is more or less soundproof.

Now, then, I’ve just awoken, so I’ll just tackle the weakest point.

We’ve already established it’s not as simple as this. Sure, he can take the key while Kanon sleeps but he has to get it back on Kanon for Kanon’s logic to stick. And then he has to somehow take it from Kanon to put it back on Kinzo’s body after the fact. How would Rudolf have been able to do that?